• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2nthechest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I am working at the new 35 story hotel that is being built downtown Indianapolis. I have a great view of the Eiteljorg museum. There is a large banner on the side stating that there is going to (a large PISTOL display starting on FEBUARY 6. Anyone planning on attending or maybe putting together an INGO field trip? Also, anyone know if they allow cameras?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Pistols

They had a Booth set up at an Indy 1500 earlier this Year handing out cards and ink pens
    I am going to try and make it

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Pistols: Dazzling Firearms @Eiteljorg

This could be cool...

Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art»Exhibitions

February 6, 2010 - April 18, 2010
    The exhibit, created by the Autry National Center’s Museum of the American West, explores the history of handgun decoration in America through exceptional pieces representing more than 160 years of work by master engravers. Visitors will see pistols once owned by George Custer, Annie Oakley, “Wild Bill” Hickok, Presidents Ronald Reagan and John F. Kennedy, Gene Autry and Tom Mix. Some of the guns are richly inlaid with gold, silver, platinum and precious and semi-precious stones. Some have silver, gold, pearl or ivory grips. Others feature carefully wrought and engraved panels with historic scenes.

Mike Dubber, master engraver from Evansville, Ind., will be one of the featured engravers in the gallery. He has worked on firearms for Norman Schwarskopf, Juan Carlos King of Spain and Pope John Paul II. He will be at the museum on select weekends Feb. 20 – April 18.
    Sean McVicker, master engraver, originally from Belfast, Northern Ireland. His work has been commissioned by such organizations as the U.S.Marine Corps, U.S. Department of the Navy and U.S. Air Force. His personal approach results in beautiful heirloom pieces. He will be at the museum Feb. 6 – 14.

Opening day for pistols on Feb. 6 will include exhibit tours, talks, movies, engraver demonstrations and more. On March 13, the members of the Indiana Antique Arms Collectors Association will be presenting a one-time show of firearms and related artifacts from their personal collections. Frontier, military, sporting and hunting arms related to the West will be a special feature. Annie Oakley and other Wild Women of the West will be featured in the spring performance of the Indianapolis Women’s Chorus at the Eiteljorg on March 20 and 21.

More info at link above.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Thanks for the reminder. I live on the back side of the Museum and don't get over there often enough.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    371   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am thinking three day weekend in Indy in March. Friday 1500 show, nice night out, Saturday at the museum, drinking on the circle and then home on Sunday :)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like a good time. Anyone know the museum's policy on patrons carrying their own firearms?

The website says nothing about it, but I've never been to the museum and don't know if they have "no firearm" signs posted.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Anyone know the museum's policy on patrons carrying their own firearms?

The website says nothing about it, but I've never been to the museum and don't know if they have "no firearm" signs posted.

I was wondering the same, but hadn't had a chance to ask yet. You're right there's nothing specifically addressing it on the museum web site (or the White River State Park web site for that matter).

The Zoo has a "rule", but in the absense of anything similar for the museum . . .

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Anyone go to see this yet? It opened on Saturday (I think).
    Worth it?

Also: why do people give a rat's behind about the 'firearms policy' of local businesses?
    Just ignore it.
    As far as I'm concerned, if it's not specifically forbidden by State/Federal law, it doesn't pertain to me.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    I went today and have never seen such a collection of SA Colts, Dragoons, Walkers, Civil War era BBQ guns. There were several that Colt presented to Presidents, Kennedy, LBJ, Nixon and Ford. There were some Movie Cowboy guns from Gene Autry also.

An engraver from California, Sean McVicker was there doing demonstrations and showing his wares. He has a S&W Model 27 4" to kill for. There were examples of Colt factory engraving and some that was done by Tiffany jewelers. The Tiffany guns were to me over the top due to the metal inlaid grips. Many of the pistols sported beautiful ivory grips. I noted that ALL the ivory grips were pure white, which means that the guns have never been handled.

It's a great way to spend and afternoon. I had never been to the Eiteljorg before and was awed by the bronzes by the artists Remington and Russell. I'd seen photos of their paintings and copies of their bronzes, but never had seen real ones.

The high point to me was a 3 painting panel of the Grand Canyon which is on the right side as you enter the main entrance next to the gift shop.

Park in the underground garage and the museum will validate your parking!

Top Bottom