• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I imagine that many of you are aware of the recent history of Cambodia, but I will provide a brief summary if you are not.

In the 1970's a communist revolution overthrew the government of Cambodia and utterly destroyed the country. The Khmer Rouge transformed the country from a developing ex-colony into a rural agrarian society. They evacuated the cities and forced the entire population to become poor farmers. The Khmer Rouge killed all people who were educated, not communist, or had ties to the previous government. The Vietnamese ended up invading Cambodia and installing a less crazy communist government. The Khmer Rouge continued sporadic fighting until the early 2000's.

In 2011 I traveled throughout Cambodia and encountered a lot of interesting sights. I thought that some of you might enjoy seeing the remnants of their war, and what a country looks like that has only recently emerged from decades of violence.

As soon as my plane landed in Phnom Phen I walked outside and found a motorcycle taxi to take me to the hotel. This was the first indication of how readily available weapons are in this country. He told me that for $50 he could take me to the countryside where I could throw a grenade or for $200 I could shoot and RPG. I declined his offer.

In Phnom Penh I saw the killing field and the prison that most people were tortured at before they were murdered. Both sites were quite chilling considering everyone who worked and gave tours there experienced this horrible period of time.

I later went to Siem Reap, which is near the UNESCO world heritage site of Angkor Wat. The Khmer Rouge last stronghold was in this part of the country. The pictures that I am including are from a large field outside of town where they starting dumping captured and destroyed enemy munitions. Many of the destroyed tanks and vehicles were labeled with what year they were captured. A lot of them were destroyed in the last ten years.

entrance.jpeg

Killing fields:

310759_2264612502372_1288412_n.jpg

Multistory building filled with the skulls of genocide victims:

296889_2264605182189_5590512_n.jpg

High school that was converted into a prison and torture chamber (of the 17,000 people who were held here only 7 survived):

300963_2264601062086_7407396_n.jpg

Some weapons and destroyed vehicles in a field (you could climb on the tanks and play with the guns):

aa.jpeg

chopper.jpeg

guns1.jpeg

guns2.jpeg

guns3.jpeg

guns4.jpeg

guns5.jpeg

guns6.jpeg

howitzer.jpeg

mig.jpeg

mines.jpeg

shells.jpeg

tank1.jpeg

tank2.jpeg

tank3.jpeg

Cambodia is a beautiful country that is rapidly changing. If anyone is thinking of traveling there, I suggest that you do it soon. Tourism and development are changing both the culture and the landscape. Their historical sights are getting destroyed. Cambodia is ridiculously cheap to visit if you are already in Asia. I highly encourage you to see this awesome nation for yourself. Some of the historical ruins are truly breathtaking.

297875_2264697744503_5237396_n.jpg

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Good stuff! Thanks for posting! :)

It's good to see a country so steeped in the horrors of death moving away from the ugliness of it all. Hard to do when the reminders seem to be everywhere.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Great pics.

My wife is Cambodian. Her, her mom, two sisters and a brother came to the U.S. in 1982 when she was 11. Her father was killed by the communists and her oldest brother is still in Cambodia.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Read about Khmer Rouge here: Khmer Rouge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Money was abolished, books were burned, teachers, merchants, and almost the entire intellectual elite of the country were murdered, to make the agricultural communism, as Pol Pot envisioned it, a reality. The planned relocation to the countryside resulted in the complete halt of almost all economic activity: even schools and hospitals were closed, as well as banks, and industrial and service companies. Banks were raided and all currency and records destroyed by fire thus eliminating any claim to funds."

"People who they perceived to be intellectuals or even those that had stereotypical signs of learning, such as glasses, would also be killed." Emphasis added "Paradoxically, Pol Pot himself was a university-educated man (albeit a drop-out) with a taste for French literature and was also a fluent French speaker." More do-as-I-say and not as I do.

The depravity of the natural human condition was on full display there in Cambodia. I wish it were taught more. Especially the ramifications of the US / Coalition pulling out of Vietnam - which, more or less, directly contributed to Pol Pot's terrorism

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    As a former Marine who was extremely fortunate to have spent 3 R&R in Bangkok, I am curious. Your employment places you in Thailand ?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The grenade throwing and RPG shooting stories are true. You can find videos of it on youtube. Sounds like something I'd like to do. I wish airfare wasn't so expensive.

tdmman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    South Central Indiana
    Around 1970 I was testing ammo for the U.S. Government. If we found a critical defect, the lot of ammo was, of course, unsuitable for our use. The defective ammo would be "given" to Cambodia to fight the commies. They were desperately short of ammo and would take anything. The ammo was generally very safe even with the defect. It would take too long here to explain why.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Thanks for the photos.. In the 1980's I lived in Malaysia and met people who had fled Cambodia..

Did you know that the trails for the Khmer Rouge are still going on today?

https://www.facebook.com/krtribunal?ref=ts&fref=ts

When I was in Cambodia the trial for Comrade Duch was going on. He was the person who ran the old high school where so many people were killed. Many of the Cambodians that I talked to were following the trial closely.

Kang Kek Iew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cambodian people have a very impressive level of English understanding if you consider their recent history. I found it far easier to travel independently here than in more rural areas of Thailand. Their history of being colonized (by the French) might be a reason that their English is acceptable.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    When I was in Cambodia the trial for Comrade Duch was going on. He was the person who ran the old high school where so many people were killed. Many of the Cambodians that I talked to were following the trial closely.

Kang Kek Iew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cambodian people have a very impressive level of English understanding if you consider their recent history. I found it far easier to travel independently here than in more rural areas of Thailand. Their history of being colonized (by the French) might be a reason that their English is acceptable.

A large part of that area of the world was park of the UK.. so English was a very common language.. I had no problem getting around & I did not know any local speak..

Top Bottom