• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DiamProducer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Anderson
    Are there and legal ramifications for trading a gun? I am working on a deal on this site that would trade my gun for another, but just didn't know if there were any legal paperwork to do? Any help would be appreciated.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    No paperwork is needed. Typically it is not desired.

The MOST that I will do is sign saying that I am not a criminal, that I am legally able to buy a gun, etc. I will not provide the seller with my address (that is for my security and the security of my family). I've only signed anything on trades twice. It is simply not needed.

On the other hand, when you sell a gun you cannot sell a gun to a known felon, to someone you know to be disqualified from buying a gun, etc.

Really when you think about it, it is no different than selling a gun to your neighbor or gifting a gun to your child or grandchild. As long as you believe them to be of good character then you have no issues with selling or trading the gun.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    No paperwork is needed. Typically it is not desired.

The MOST that I will do is sign saying that I am not a criminal, that I am legally able to buy a gun, etc. I will not provide the seller with my address (that is for my security and the security of my family). I've only signed anything on trades twice. It is simply not needed.

On the other hand, when you sell a gun you cannot sell a gun to a known felon, to someone you know to be disqualified from buying a gun, etc.

Really when you think about it, it is no different than selling a gun to your neighbor or gifting a gun to your child or grandchild. As long as you believe them to be of good character then you have no issues with selling or trading the gun.

perfect response
    nothing extra is needed

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thanks for the response! You guys have been helpful. It is greatly appreciated

Great response melensdad! I will add one thing...

If you go about trading handguns, some people will require to see your LTCH just to be sure you are a "proper person". It is a good habit when it comes to handguns and people you don't know at all or well.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    "Gifting" a gun to a child.

Are there not some liability ramifications bearing upon to whom one
    "gifts" a gun that one has purchased?? Indiana "Age of accountability", or something like in statutory rape?? Even though "gifting" the weapon means that it has changed hands, and "giftee" owns the weapon, does not the "gifter" still have some legal liability?? In Indiana?? Anyone? Beuhler?

perfect response
    nothing extra is needed

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Are there not some liability ramifications bearing upon to whom one
    "gifts" a gun that one has purchased?? Indiana "Age of accountability", or something like in statutory rape?? Even though "gifting" the weapon means that it has changed hands, and "giftee" owns the weapon, does not the "gifter" still have some legal liability?? In Indiana?? Anyone? Beuhler?

I have gifted my daughter her very own PINK AR15. It is legal for her to possess it under adult supervision (like hunting or target shooting) but she cannot have unfettered access to it when no adult is around. Legally its her gun. However the laws require that no child can have unrestricted access, therefore her gun resides in my safe until she is legally old enough to take a weapon out by herself.

Now if I gift a weapon to my older brother, or a nephew or someone else and the weapon is later stolen, or perhaps used in crime, it will be traced back to me. I, however have no legal liability with regard to that weapon provided that when I gifted (or sold) it the person who received it was of good character. I simply have to say that I gifted/sold the gun. Nothing more is required. I don't even have to say who I sold it to if I don't know.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    My dad gave me a rifle when I was 12 or 13. It was mine to shoot and use, but it was kept in his possession. I used it once or twice, and forgot about it for 10 years or so. He still has it for me.

jimbolucky13

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I find this to be a very popular, and also very important topic. I usually like at least a bill of sale for my own piece of mind, even though it is not needed. I think it is good for people to come on to forums like this and recieve good information or even good ideas to make them feel comfortable, if the law requires it or not. oh by the way I'm a newbie here and only decided to join after I had read several topics here on INGO, and found answers and characters who I feel comfortable with. This is a great site guys!

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    For the OP, bear in mind that the culture of "no paperwork - no addresses," is something you may or may not find if you move to another State... and you take your firearms with you.

My job has the attribute that I may move every few years - there are typically only 3-8 positions for what I do in each metropolitan area. I've been here two years and have adapted to (and even enjoy!) the ease of handgun purchasing/selling trading. I'm not talking comparisons to NJ/CA/IL.

My last City was St. Louis for about 8 years. Want to buy a handgun? Want to trade a handgun (where you receive one in kind?) You need to drive your little heiny down to the local police precinct / sheriff's department and apply for a Permit To Acquire A Handgun.

If you were lucky, you lived in one of the more rural burbs - the sheriff might sign it while you wait. If you lived in Saint Louis County (and all of the good schools were in St Louis County) then you waited... Fill it out in the local precinct. Give them $10. It then gets transferred downtown. The law requires that a YES or NO has to be given in, I think, 10 days. Inevitably, it took ten days in St. Louis.

The signed form is then slow-boated back to the precinct house - NO, you can't pick it up at a different precinct or downtown.

What does this form give you? "Permission" to acquire a handgun through a shop, at a gun show, from an individual - whether through trade or purchase. The completed form post-transaction had to be mailed back to the issue LE agency. This form began counting down from the moment you picked it up and you had so many weeks/months to exercise this acquisition.

What's the point? You had a paperwork trail. A trail of forms that could prove ownership (or past-ownership / transfer) of a handgun. Why was that important? St Louis Metro PD had a standing practice: If you CC handgun was "noticed" by a LEO, unless you could prove ownership, the handgun was confiscated, taken downtown and held in evidence until you could prove ownership. Guilty until proven innocent. This was the case as recently as early 2007. Myself and most folks kept documentation in your vehicles proving ownership of every handgun you might carry. Some even shrank itsy-bitsy business card size facsimiles of the document, laminated it and kept it in their wallet.

I had (have) a Utah Non-Resident permit, along with my newly acquired Lifetime from IN!! A concealed handgun permit got you nothing in terms of purchasing expedience.

I don't require a receipt for a sell or trade - you guys have "broken" me of it. I do recognize that it could come back to bite me if/when I move to another State and have to prove ownership.

One poster from MO summed it up better than me:

..the Permit To Acquire. It’s an old Jim Crow law from around 1915 that requires you to go to your local Sheriff and get a $10 ‘Permit’ before you can purchase a concealable firearm. In addition to making sure the ‘wrong’ people don’t get pistols, it’s also a back door registration scheme.

Another note - Shortly after MO passed Concealed Carry Laws, the St Louis Police department spent thousands in taxpayer funds print "No Handguns Allowed" signs and distributed them free to all businesses by going door-to-door.

It wasn't all bad. One wasn't required to have a permit to simply take a handgun to a range and if you were over (23?), you could legally carry a handgun in your car for self defense without a permit.

Bad News if you don't live in a good neighborhood. Presumed Guilty if the parent doesn't consent to search?

Hazelwood - a St Louis County Community

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I had (have) a Utah Non-Resident permit, along with my newly acquired Lifetime from IN!!

Good reasons all to stay in Indiana if you can!

We sometimes take it for granted. I don't ever plan to move back to my home state (which name I will not even take upon my lips) if I can help it.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Good reasons all to stay in Indiana if you can!

We sometimes take it for granted. I don't ever plan to move back to my home state (which name I will not even take upon my lips) if I can help it.

Yea well, I've lived here all my life and my dream has always been to move to Montana. I think we'd all like living there. Unless you just don't like snow.... :p

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If I purchase a handgun from a private person, do I have to complete a transfer
    form?​
    No. Indiana does not require the completion of a form for a private purchase nor do you
    have to route the transfer through a dealer. Recommend reviewing statutes in IC 35-
    47-2.5 which is the chapter regulating the sale of handguns in regards to a private sale
    or purchase.

This was taken directly from Indiana State Police's FAQ section.
    http://www.in.gov/isp/files/firearms_FAQ_02_08.pdf

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Never in 43 years and 18 states have I been asked to prove ownership or the origin of any firearms. I will say this, if you happen to be moving to Arizona and you get stopped at a checkpoint on the New Mexico/Arizona state line and they ask you, "Sir do you have any firearms in the vehicle." Do yourself a favor and avoid allot of hassle and just say no.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    IANAL. I cannot READ that let alone UNDERSTAND THAT!!!! :laugh:

A simple,

I, ____, have gun. I give ______ said gun. We agree said gun now belongs to _____ for . This ends the Deal.

X____________ X____________ Witness___________ Date__________

And this kind of contract will still hold up in court!

I thought it was pretty simple but whatever works I guess:rolleyes:

Top Bottom