• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Kodiak Firing Range allows only frangible ammunition because of the steel targets. I am too trusting of a person. I do not search bags but I inform people they cannot use regular ammuntion because of the danger of shrapnel coming back at them and others. Many people sneak in regular ammunition anyway. I guess they are just dumb, inconsiderate or just plain stupid.

However, someone came in over the weekend and shot steel core .223 ammunition or armor piercing ammunition on the Tactical Range. I want to thank this person so very much as you caused several thousand dollars worth of damage. It is people like you who ruin places for everyone else. Your stupidity not only cost me a lot of money but since I cannot trust people to follow the rules I must now search range bags of anyone wanting to shoot rifles on the range to make sure this doesn't happen again. I have seen people post on ingo about how they are going to do what they want no matter what the rules on the range pertaining to ammunition (NOT saying it was an INGO member who did this). What you don't seem to care about is the damage you cause because of your stupidity.

Once again the majority of the people who come into my range are great. Those few idiots or in this case one very very dumb person now ruins it for everyone else. Thank you again you sorry piece of crap!

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Sorry to hear about what happened at your range. I'm not sure how you are set up, but do you track who comes in and which lane they are using? I would love to see someone held accountable for their blatant misuse of your facility.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Very sorry for your loss.

I had the same thing happen at my range a couple of years ago. I tell people no military surplus ammo. But he did not pay attention. Got a hundred holes are so because of his stupidity. Cost me quite a bit to replace the targets.

Last edited:

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Wow Mike! Idiot is a pretty nice way of putting it. I'm really sorry this happened.

I couldn't say what I wanted to say. I am so angry. It had to be steel core or armor piercing. Luckily it did not leave the range. I just can't believe anyone would be so stupid.

Security footage can't zoom in enough to see what type of ammo. We had a lot of shooters using .223 over the weekend.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I wish there was a way you could figure out who it was and send them a bill. That's just horrible. The range I go to is the best I've ever been to in my life and I love it. They have steel targets for rimfire, pistol, and high powered rifle. It's pretty easy to see the difference between a circle, diamond, and square piece of steel but people still like to blow a hole through steel. It really ticks me off to see people abuse the range, but what can you do. They have a substantial range membership fee and as snobby as it sounds I think that helps keep a lot of idiots out because they just want to go somewhere cheap and destroy something. Best of luck with your repairs.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sorry to hear that, Mike. You have a fantastic place! I can't understand why some douche bag would think that it was safe to to something so stupid.

I hope you can figure out who did it but that sounds like it will be impossible.

You, Lisa and the entire staff do not deserve to be treated like this. I want somebody's head to roll.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I couldn't say what I wanted to say. I am so angry. It had to be steel core or armor piercing. Luckily it did not leave the range. I just can't believe anyone would be so stupid.

Security footage can't zoom in enough to see what type of ammo. We had a lot of shooters using .223 over the weekend.

Did they leave their brass on the ground as well?

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Sounds like you have too much faith in people to do the right thing. Who's to say the guy shooting wasn't a novice and had no idea what he had. It sucks to year about you being out money for the repairs but it sounds like all of this could have been avoided had someone taken the time to check the ammo the guy was going to shot.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I consider the ranges that I pay membership to be "my ranges." Why would anyone destroy what is their own?! Don't they realize it only makes their next trip less enjoyable when they have to shoot at paper instead of steel?

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Sounds like you have too much faith in people to do the right thing. Who's to say the guy shooting wasn't a novice and had no idea what he had. It sucks to year about you being out money for the repairs but it sounds like all of this could have been avoided had someone taken the time to check the ammo the guy was going to shot.

We do check the ammo they are going to shoot if they do not buy it here at the range. However. although we ask people to leave all regular ammunition in their car we do not search bags. I guess we will need to search bags from now on.

I hate it the inconsiderate actions of one or a few ruin it for the majority who do the right thing. What is wrong with our society today. People just don't care about other people's things anymore.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    is there any way you can just impliment a do not bring your ammo to our range policy. Maybe sell it as they come through. that sucks bad, but also just to play the devils advocate, I was at the bullseye range in kokomo and there wer two people on the lane left of me, they had never shot before. They did ask for help and I gladly did. But handling a hot weapon just a few feet from mee with NO expierance was possible. I say that MAYBE they had no idea it was steel core, common sense is not so common anymore.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I don't want to be the type of range where the RSO's hover over everyone making sure they use the right ammunition. We have had a lot of people using regular handgun ammunition on the Standard Range as well. That makes me angry but it is an annoyance more than anything. Now we are talking about ammunition that is punching through a ballistic curtain and AR500 armor plate. The only .223 that will do that is steel core or armor piercing.

Last edited:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Destructive ammunition isn't the only thing flamers like this guy shoot. It is entirely possible he will shoot his mouth off, too, and some little bird will hear him, fly over to you, and sing. I sure hope so.

If so, please broadcast the name, so he becomes persona non grata in the entire shooting community.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I just want you to know that I was home that whole time............on that day...........whatever day that was. :rolleyes:

BTW - Wasn't Kirk suppose to be watching Rhino? :shady:

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    I hate it when some JERK has to ruin the fun for everybody else!! I wish I could suggest a private meeting with this MORON. After paying for the repairs, this person should carry a sign (I'm a MORON), and clean the stalls for a year.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I hate it when some JERK has to ruin the fun for everybody else!! I wish I could suggest a private meeting with this MORON. After paying for the repairs, this person should carry a sign (I'm a MORON), and clean the stalls for a year.

Amen!

Top Bottom