• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Because of the overwhelmingly positive feedback that we have been seeing about the Starbucks "protest" today, I wanted to know if anybody would be interested in setting up a recurring monthly event where we pick a large chain store or restaurant and do something similar to the Starbucks thing. Maybe just make it one weekend a month, where all who are willing and able can go to that location, give them a copy of a flyer thanking them for their support and giving them some good business as well.

I like how everybody who has been going to Starbucks today has been trying to talk to management, and how all of the Starbucks managers appear to be happy to talk to you about it, and I think it helps to raise awareness about the 2nd Amendment, and about individuals who carry firearms in general. All too often we see people who have no idea that yes, you can indeed carry a gun in public. Alternatively, we see too many people who think that all people who carry guns in public are psychopathic nutjobs bent on slaying people by the thousands; a reasonable, courteous, and mature display such as the one that we have been presenting at these Starbucks is a great way to get them to question their opinions.

So how about it; does this sound like something we could do? It'd be one more reason to go out to eat once a month, too; you can even call it a "date night" to convince the significant other to go along with it. :):

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Great Idea! I have a list of ones that aren't ANTI too

Lowe's
    Starbucks
    Wal-Mart
    Barnes & Noble
    Best Buy
    Cabela's
    Home Depot
    PetSmart
    Sam's Club
    Yatz

Thats just the ones that are off the top of my head

Last edited:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Yes, I am in support of doing this.

Lowe's
    Starbucks
    Wal-Mart
    Barnes & Noble
    Best Buy
    Cabela's
    Home Depot
    PetSmart
    Sam's Club

Add Yatz to that list. On my way back to I65 I stopped at the Yats on US31 and County Line Rd. The cashier brought up the conversation of guns when he noticed my Glock 21. I asked about Yats' position on the second amendment and he said this: The owner of Yats carries his handgun everywhere he goes.

:D

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

Lowe's
    Starbucks
    Wal-Mart
    Barnes & Noble
    Best Buy
    Cabela's
    Home Depot
    PetSmart
    Sam's Club
    Yatz

Maybe in TX Walmart is gun friendly but its common to have managers ask you to cover it up or take it to the car around here :twocents:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've OC'd in the Walmart here in Clarksville with no issues so far. Before we start on any one specific location, we will definitely want to contact their corporate offices and get a written letter stating their policy, (preferably on their letterhead or somehow identifiable,) so that we can have that with us if need be.

I also liked the fliers that were being used by people during the Starbucks event; we should definitely do some of those as well.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I think it's a great idea on 1 premice, that being that participants walk around OC to ensure that the business itself is "2A friendly." Most chain stores are allowed to be governed by their individual management and so choosing a chain wouldn't exactly be adequate "targeting," and you wouldn't be any wiser to their "policy" if you're CC'ing. Of course, you can do either but OC would be considerably better for such an event.

Perhaps carrying a "we thank you for your 2A support, and will share positive reviews about your store with the INGO community of over 20k local residents" flyer with them, AS WELL AS a card saying basically the opposite in a polite manner should they ask you to leave you weapon in the car?!? Then you would have both bases covered no matter what each person's personal experiences are at a particular store. I've thought about creating such a card myself, but haven't had time.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I missed the Starbucks one today but I vote "Yes" because I would be interested in doing it in the future. The only thing I would add is if maybe we could keep it to stores like Starbucks to where it is a small store, you can walk in, hand a flyer to the manager, and place an order right away. You know, places like Subway, Burger King, Pizza Hut, McDonalds, etc. as opposed to huge stores like Lowes, Walmart, or Meijer.(I have no idea of these store's 2A stances, I was just throwing examples out there.)

The point is to show the business that you as a 2nd Amendment support can and do make a big impact on their overall business. Seems easier to do in a smaller business than a huge one, know what I mean? Just my :twocents:.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    the1kidd03, I was thinking that if we get a letter from the corporate headquarters of whatever business we are looking at, and then have a copy of that, we may be able to use that in conversation with management. For instance, if corporate says that they support our 2nd Amendment, and then a local manager attempts to dispute it, we politely ask, "Very well, I respect your opinion; may I show you this letter from XYZ Inc's Corporate headquarters?" Then see what they say. If they don't want us there, obviously don't stay; this is the part of the plan where we revert to the cards you mentioned.

And for both you and Bobby; my thought on doing it to chain locations would be to try and get the maximum exposure. If I try to do it to the, (random example,) Taco Bell here in Clarksville, I'm likely to get what....3 or 4 people, at maximum, involved? If we do it for "Taco Bell restaurants in general" we can get a LOT more people involved, all over the country.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    the1kidd03, I was thinking that if we get a letter from the corporate headquarters of whatever business we are looking at, and then have a copy of that, we may be able to use that in conversation with management. For instance, if corporate says that they support our 2nd Amendment, and then a local manager attempts to dispute it, we politely ask, "Very well, I respect your opinion; may I show you this letter from XYZ Inc's Corporate headquarters?" Then see what they say. If they don't want us there, obviously don't stay; this is the part of the plan where we revert to the cards you mentioned.

And for both you and Bobby; my thought on doing it to chain locations would be to try and get the maximum exposure. If I try to do it to the, (random example,) Taco Bell here in Clarksville, I'm likely to get what....3 or 4 people, at maximum, involved? If we do it for "Taco Bell restaurants in general" we can get a LOT more people involved, all over the country.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say. I agree with you. What I was trying to say that it might have more of an impact if we were to stick to Taco Bells state-wide than say maybe Walmarts across the state. In a smaller venue(again state-wide) there would be more opportunities for educating the managers on how much of a business impact we could have than say if we were trying to do it in Lowes stores state-wide.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Maybe in TX Walmart is gun friendly but its common to have managers ask you to cover it up or take it to the car around here :twocents:

OC'ed at the Bloomington Walmart and never had anyone say anything to me.... and if they did ask me to cover it up, I'd have to politely refuse... of course if I'm with the wife and daughters I'd probably already have it covered... wife is still a little "iffy" on my carrying.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Yes, I am in support of doing this.

Add Yatz to that list. On my way back to I65 I stopped at the Yats on US31 and County Line Rd. The cashier brought up the conversation of guns when he noticed my Glock 21. I asked about Yats' position on the second amendment and he said this: The owner of Yats carries his handgun everywhere he goes.

:D

Yep, I've had a similar conversation with a Yatz employee in Greenwood. Nice guy. The conversation started when I saw the picture of Don Davis behind the register.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Oh, and I am completely up for this on a regular basis...

I really want the state and nation to realize that us "nutjob hair-trigger" gun owners represent a whole lot of this country's $!

Let's force Washington to see it our way by pressuring the corporations to pressure the law makers to uphold the Constitution!

:rockwoot::rockwoot::patriot::patriot:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

Agreed, and I like the idea but I think it would be more work for someone to get those return letters from corporate offices. Plus, waiting on them could put a hold on your next event, whereas simply OC'ing or asking the store management you can do any facility at any time no wait or extra burden on anyone. I do think that both the "non 2A friendly cards" AND "pro 2A friendly flyers" are NECESSARY though. That way you can give them a good idea of how much potential market they are missing out on by choosing their "property rights" over public safety and individual rights.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say. I agree with you. What I was trying to say that it might have more of an impact if we were to stick to Taco Bells state-wide than say maybe Walmarts across the state. In a smaller venue(again state-wide) there would be more opportunities for educating the managers on how much of a business impact we could have than say if we were trying to do it in Lowes stores state-wide.

My apologies; I misunderstood you. :)

I think we're coming up with some really good ideas here, too; and I think that we can definitely draw on the experience of the Starbucks Buycott, too.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My apologies; I misunderstood you. :)

I think we're coming up with some really good ideas here, too; and I think that we can definitely draw on the experience of the Starbucks Buycott, too.
    Agreed, I've learned all too well how the media likes to "do business" in regards to organized 2A events and make them look evil.

Top Bottom