• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    So, today I am mowing my yard, cleaning up leaves, etc. I am carrying a G19 in a holster on my belt, like I usually do. Well, I got this feeling that I was being watched. I was. A FW police officer had pulled up to my yard and was exiting his vehicle. I shut off the mower and gave the officer a big smile, said hello, and approached him. He asked to see my LTCH. I complied but asked why in a friendly tone. He looked at me and said, "because I said so". I let a laugh escape me bc I was so shocked. He asked me what was so funny. I told him that there was nothing funny about what was happening. Again, I asked him what the problem was, again in a very friendly manner. He said to chill out and wait until I was spoken to.

Can you feel what I was feeling right now? I was getting scared.

It turns out my neighbor called it in bc he thought that carrying a gun was illegal. I nicely informed the officer that I do not even need a LTCH to carry on my own property and my LTCH allows me to carry openly or concealed. It didn't go well after that.

In the end it took a supervisor and two neighbors standing by as witnesses to stop this jerk off from railroading me.

I am STILL angry. To try to calm this moron down I told him I am a former po and my brother is still a po. To that he replied, "I am duly impressed".:n00b: so insulting and humiliating. When it was all over I asked the officer in front of his supervisor for an apology for the way I was treated. That didn't go over well either.

I am so pissed still I can hardly see straight. This is why I tend to conceal carry. Too many uneducated, misinformed idiots in blue.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Firearms encounters are not in the top 100 things that officers have to deal with and so they don't have to know the law. They can say anything they want to you without fear of reprisal.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Even if he was ignorant of the whole O/C being legal thing, you would think he would know that you can carry on your property with no problem.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    So, today I am mowing my yard, cleaning up leaves, etc. I am carrying a G19 in a holster on my belt, like I usually do. Well, I got this feeling that I was being watched. I was. A FW police officer had pulled up to my yard and was exiting his vehicle. I shut off the mower and gave the officer a big smile, said hello, and approached him. He asked to see my LTCH. I complied but asked why in a friendly tone. He looked at me and said, "because I said so". I let a laugh escape me bc I was so shocked. He asked me what was so funny. I told him that there was nothing funny about what was happening. Again, I asked him what the problem was, again in a very friendly manner. He said to chill out and wait until I was spoken to.

Can you feel what I was feeling right now? I was getting scared.

It turns out my neighbor called it in bc he thought that carrying a gun was illegal. I nicely informed the officer that I do not even need a LTCH to carry on my own property and my LTCH allows me to carry openly or concealed. It didn't go well after that.

In the end it took a supervisor and two neighbors standing by as witnesses to stop this jerk off from railroading me.

I am STILL angry. To try to calm this moron down I told him I am a former po and my brother is still a po. To that he replied, "I am duly impressed".:n00b: so insulting and humiliating. When it was all over I asked the officer in front of his supervisor for an apology for the way I was treated. That didn't go over well either.

I am so pissed still I can hardly see straight. This is why I tend to conceal carry. Too many uneducated, misinformed idiots in blue.

This is laughable, I would have made that encounter as much of a pain in the A$$ for him as I could. "because I said so"? I guess whatever you say is the law!

"don't speak until spoken to"? Are you my father?

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    The officer definitely needs to learn a few things about both having a gun on your property and carrying; the neighbor should get a friendlier kind of chat.

Good on you for getting the idiot's supervisor involved. Sounds like he is the kind of LEO that gives the whole force a bad name. An official complaint should still be filed without a doubt.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    . . . This is why I tend to conceal carry. Too many uneducated, misinformed idiots in blue.

Well you could turn it into a "teachable moment" and file a complaint. In your complaint, don't ask for any monetary damages, you probably won't get that anyway, but ask for the ENTIRE DEPARTMENT to be educated on the legalities of #1) Carrying Openly on your own property without a LTCH and #2) Carrying Openly off your property with a LTCH.

That will eliminate many of the "misinformed idiots in blue."

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I know the subject has been broached before, but there ought to be a sticky with the names and departments of officers 'detaining' people for OC. No commentary, just the names and departments.

It would be interesting to see if there are any repeaters, and which departments are the biggest abusers.

Maybe there could be some kind of drawing at the end of the year, with some sort of door prize for the winner.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    If an officer came up to me IN MY OWN YARD and tole me to show him my LTCH, I would politely decline. If he demanded it, I would politely inform him that Indiana law allows one to carry on their own property without a license. If it went beyond that, I would shut up, let them do whatever they wanted (interpret - not resist, while at the same time not giving permission), and find a good lawyer (Guy). I would then sue them for violating Indiana law regarding carrying a firearm.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Yeah, I would've been irate. I would have told him to F off as soon as he started being an arse and walked away. He I went to jail for it then so be it.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    When it was all over I asked the officer in front of his supervisor for an apology for the way I was treated. That didn't go over well either.

Didn't go over well with Barney, or his supervisor? The super should have given you an apology on the spot and told his flunky to scram.

In your yard? So he trespassed to enforce the imaginary OC law?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Wowie!!

Was it FWPD or Sheriff's Dept?

Your options for either are Ken Fries - Sheriff Allen County, or Police Chief Rusty York.

Good luck and post back re; what happens!! Or at least stop in to chat for a minute again and tell me.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You think you are free until you have an encounter with someone like that uniformed civilian who thinks he is the law instead of an officer of the law. If doesn't take much for someone like that to ruin your day as you found out. Glad to hear it didn't get worse.

This is a situation that must be followed up. You must file a complaint against the officer for not knowing the laws, and the department for not adequately teaching the laws. People can get hurt or worse over this kind of misunderstanding on his part.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    This happens to often still. File a complaint and if possible see if the chief will agree to have a small training class to insure his officers at least gets the laws read to them.

I would suggest the officer that gave you a unnecessary hard time do the reading.

I worked in Air Control for years. Lots of Rules and Regs there as well. We had a fifteen to thirty minute training class at least once a month for refresher on the rules.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom