Shooting a Family Heirloom (story and pictures inside)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Fourteen years ago my Grandfather (my Father's father) was tracked down by a "long lost" relative. The man looking for him was actually his nephew, who, due to a disjointed family history, had never met anyone from the "Rice" side of the family.

Unfortunately, his reason for tracking down our side of the family was a bittersweet one. A man in his 40s, he had been diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), which is often referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease".

What is ALS? - The ALS Association

As he was quickly progressing through the various stages of ALS, he wanted to find about about his family's history. My Grandfather, Father (lovemywoods), and I soon made the trip from Indy to his home in Asheville, North Carolina. I was just 14-years-old at the time.

His condition had already deteriorated his ability to speak, but he could still write and he could still walk. Using a write-on/wipe-off board, he was able to ask lots of questions, and we were able to share lots of family stories and history.

He not only had many dominant physical features from the Rice family, but he also shared some of our hobbies-- like a love of guns. Opening up an under-bed safe, he introduced me to the first Class III weapon I had ever seen in person-- an UZI with an enormous suppressor. At 14-years-old, I was hooked. He later let me watch a few VHS tapes of various machine guns being shot, and would smile and laugh as I stared awe-struck at the TV screen.

Before we left his home, he retrieved a rifle case from the back room and presented it to my Grandfather. Inside was a heavy-barreled Remington 700 BDL in .223 with Bushnell scope. He wanted him to have it as his way of saying "thank you".

We received a phone call a few months after returning home-- he had passed away.

vru6ty.jpg

esrice, my Grandfather, Dale Rice, lovemywoods

The rifle spent a few years in my Grandfather's safe. We would pull it out when looking through his collection and the 3 of us would remember our trip.

Later my Grandfather passed it down to my Father. For a minute we debated on whether or not we were going to shoot it. We decided that the best way to preserve Dale's memory was to use it like he would've used it. Since then we've shot it 4 or 5 times.

Yesterday I took my 2 boys down to lovemywoods' property. After working on a playhouse project and watching the boys play in a kiddie pool, lovemywoods reminded me that he had installed a few new Bobcat Steel plates (9" and 6") on the other side of the lake, 132 yards from the elevated back porch. He suggested using Dale's rifle to test the new setup.

So I did just that.

zlrhbm.jpg

(yes, that is dinner in the background :yesway:)
    1265gg4.jpg

dp8tua.jpg

264pb2h.jpg

2vvrgax.jpg

fekv94.jpg

I shot a box of 20 rounds, and made 20 hits. :yesway: Dale's Remy 700 is the smoothest, most confidence-inspiring firearm in lovemywoods' safe. I look forward to passing this particular heirloom onto my sons.

And yes, the Black Diamond strip steaks were EXCELLENT! :ingo:

25jgqa0.jpg

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    That was a great story of family history. Thank you for sharing that with us. Oh and them steaks look gooooooooooooood. lol

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Wow, that's a great story! I wish my father was still around to talk firearms with! Never realized lovemywoods was your father! small world on here!

May you have decades more memories made with your family's rifle!

:patriot::rockwoot:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    is anyone else wondering where the UZI went besides me? :)

VERY NICE RIFLE and an even better story behind it together to make a wonderful piece to be very proud to pass down.

and

MMMMMMMMMMMMM STEAK!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Great story. I am envious of the off-the-deck range. I come from a not so gun happy family but have my grandfather's Savage Md 22 pump. He purchased it on a trip with a friend in upstate New York in the 1930's-early 1940's for some small game hunting. At his funeral, the friend who was with him on the trip asked about it and told me all about road tripping and hunting through New York and later Michigan and Ohio with my grandfather.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    It is nice having Heirlooms Weapons in the Family. When my Nieces and Nephews get just a little bigger my Brother and I will dig out the Muzzleloaders and have a smoke shoot with them and teach some history that has a connection at the same time...

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Nice hair, that's all I'm sayin'
    I guess the story is good, too.

Neat story, and yet another reason to envy LMW's range(s). I'd also like to 2nd Ranger's question about the disposition of the UZI.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Awesome story, it's really nice to hear things like this. I have to spread some Rep's around or I would hit you up.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Top Bottom