• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I just got all my stuff moved into the man cave. Now I just need to get shelves to put it all on. I had to carry this downstairs at the old house and down to the basement at the new house. The majority of that pile is either ammo, ammo components or reloading equipment.

A word of advice. Put your man cave on the first floor.

baa76cae.jpg

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I have already been told we will build the house around the safe...in the basement. I did learn something when I bought my safe though. By as big as you can afford...which I did. Just make sure when you move it into your house you can get it in the room you want so it doesn't get stuck sitting in the living room to annoy your wife.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have already been told we will build the house around the safe...in the basement. I did learn something when I bought my safe though. By as big as you can afford...which I did. Just make sure when you move it into your house you can get it in the room you want so it doesn't get stuck sitting in the living room to annoy your wife.

I compromised and got to pick the color so it would fit in well with the decor.

But I don't really mind it being there in the first place.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Mine is mold resistant drywall green until I get the funds built back up enough to finish it. I feel like a train wreck this morning.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Had to do the same thing when I moved recently, don't plan on moving again. That lead gets heavier every time you move it.:)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That entire room is my safe.:D:rockwoot:

That's the way to do it for sure. I don't think I would even try to move a safe into my basement unless I dug a ramp outside and moved it in that way. I don't think I would want to move something that heavy over the only floor and the seemingly shakiest floor in my 135 year old house to get it into the basement.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    That's one thing I hated about my old apartment it was upstairs. It really sucked when I had to move. Thankfully my new apartment ground level just not as much room.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    This post will make you cry, but learn from it.

Metro carts are your friend. You can also just wrap the whole cart in giant plastic wrap and the movers just roll the whole thing onto the truck as is, only issue is nothing loose on the shelves. Must be in boxes or rubbermaid totes. Nothing but wheeled goodness as they roll the carts onto the truck. (mine will hold 16 of the 18 gallon rubbermaid bins)

and then one of these to roll things to and from your vehicle, ammo, groceries, dead animals
    Rubbermaid Heavy Duty Utility Carts: Rubbermaid | 9T66 | 2 Shelf | Utility Cart | Service Carts

Life goes better when you go on wheels

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Wheels weren't too much of an option. I had to park my trailer about 40' from the door of my old house and carry it over river rock and patio blocks. In the new house, I had to carry it over fresh hardwood floors and then down the steps again. I should have put an elevator in the new house! I'm 34 and I'm sore all over right now. I can't imagine what I'll feel like in another 20 years.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I move at least that much every week. Last Sunday, moved a lot more, as I emptied out our entire ammo room and started re-organizing it. Great way to get in shape LOL. Kinda hurts with a cracked disc, though :( Don't have to carry it up and down stairs, though, that would suck!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think after my daughter moves out I'm going to install an elevator that will go to all 3 floors. I wonder what one that would carry 1000# would cost. It would only need to be 4'x6' or so. Big enough to get my old fogey wheel chair in.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I think after my daughter moves out I'm going to install an elevator that will go to all 3 floors. I wonder what one that would carry 1000# would cost. It would only need to be 4'x6' or so. Big enough to get my old fogey wheel chair in.

Find an Old grain elevator going out of business and buy the Man lift. Small elevator for a single person. Not sure on the weight it can carry but it sure beats steps.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I'm sure most of the boys here would have been happy to get rid of some of that ammo for you. I definitely would have been very happy to help you get rid of some of that ammo for free! LOL!
    In all seriousness, that's why I purchased the Zanotti Armour Safe, it's easier to move. Why didn't you have your daughters boyfriend help you. Tell him if he wants to get on your good side, he should be happy to help. After all that's what he's there for. I know my father in law, use to ask me to help him do all sorts of mule work before I married my wife.

Top Bottom