Illegal to play live music in Indiana without a permit from IN Homeland Security

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    MUNCIE, IN -- A property owner is challenging the Indiana Department of Homeland Security's authority to regulate and permit live entertainment.

IDHS decreed in April that his private establishment, called Folly Moon, was prohibited from allowing a band to play music because he had not groveled to them for a permit and paid them an extortion fee. The gangsters get away with this denial of property rights under the guise of fire safety and building inspection.

Homeland Security found Mike Martin of the Folly Moon in violation of state law by failing to obtain an entertainment permit for live music at the downtown establishment. Martin filed an appeal to the permit, and will stand before a judge in August. He says that IDHS is trying to shut down small business with outdated laws.

"Please stand with me, American Citizens everywhere, and business owners in demanding that we will not allow The Department of Homeland Security in our businesses and homes," said Martin. He encourages citizens to "stand united against...this increasingly fascist government."

Folly Moon challenges Department of Homeland Security entertainment law | Muncie Free Press

Homeland Security says it is illegal to freely play music

533617_555488414488664_1010509878_n.jpg

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Doning it illegally might bring in the crowds. The live music sceen is in a downward spirial.

I would do it without the permit. Raise the cover charge to pay the fine and hope it caught on like a wildfire.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    "And in the challenge before an administrative law judge, Martin believed the state was not enforcing the law uniformly, only requiring permits for live music instead of electronic or even Karaoke that is also played at the Moon."

This seems pretty easy to fix...treat everybody the same, if that's really a major point of his argument

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Its funny that Fire Chiefs don't like burger joints turned into concert venues. I mean, what could go wrong?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I don't live in a Homeland, a Fatherland or a Motherland. I live in the United States of America. I was patriotic without a Patriot Act.

God I hate the abuse of our fundamental rights by Fundamentalists!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    You lost my interest when you said: "fire protection and safety." Having friends who are Fire Marshals with various local fire departments, we've discussed the safety aspects involved with live music and the overcrowding that frequently results. Local FDs and IN Fire Marshal (a division of Homeland Security) have plenty of disaster scenarios elsewhere to give them incentive to require review of the venues where live music is being held in order to minimize the chances of people getting trampled or dying in case of a fire. Sorry if it interferes with your wa.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    You lost my interest when you said: "fire protection and safety." Having friends who are Fire Marshals with various local fire departments, we've discussed the safety aspects involved with live music and the overcrowding that frequently results. Local FDs and IN Fire Marshal (a division of Homeland Security) have plenty of disaster scenarios elsewhere to give them incentive to require review of the venues where live music is being held in order to minimize the chances of people getting trampled or dying in case of a fire. Sorry if it interferes with your wa.
    Listen to this man.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World

^^^^ This.

There have been enough problems in the past to prove that fire marshals are need to keep the public safe. I have been a been a union stage hand and worked hundreds of concerts. The promoters only worry about money. State fair tragedy ring a bell? People are free to come and go but if the choose to "risk it" they shouldn't have an undue burden placed on them by overcrowding the venue.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You are angry about the fire code?

With all the rampant statism all over the place, you are really worried about the fire code? LOL, ah, INGO.

So, what remedy would you seek, rambone? Abolish the fire code?

The entertainment permit law is archaic and outdated, Marquardt said, used to regulate night clubs and dance halls which are not bars and restaurants. The ILBA tried to get the law rewritten a few years ago, asking former lawmaker and now Mayor Dennis Tyler to help. The Legislature never addressed the issue.

Sounds like Mr. Marquardt has the proper remedy in mind. I wish him well.

Live music is a weapon.

Yes, fire is a very old weapon. Man has been using fire to kill people for a long time. I am certain you saw it evidence of this weapon overseas, yes?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom