• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I'm sure this has been asked, but what are the laws when it comes to carrying at your place to vote? My place is in a Church. Does it become a government area and is under the gun free zone laws or is it different?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ex, what controls is where the voting booth is. Indiana has no statute, as do many of the Southern states regarding, carrying while voting. The Age of the Internet confuses things as people read things as to Florida or Texas law (states with higher populations and electoral votes) and believe it is the law everywhere.

School property, no go.

City Hall (without a court), good to go.

Grocery Store, good to go.

County Building with courtrooms, no go

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Ex, what controls is where the voting booth is. Indiana has no statute, as do many of the Southern states regarding, carrying while voting. The Age of the Internet confuses things as people read things as to Florida or Texas law (states with higher populations and electoral votes) and believe it is the law everywhere.

School property, no go.

City Hall (without a court), good to go.

Grocery Store, good to go.

County Building with courtrooms, no go

So as I enter my voting location where it is not illegal to carry what about being trespassed for the particular building owners own policies?

i.e. the Grocery Store with a No Guns sign in the window?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    There is nothing special about polling places and firearms. All the same rules apply as they would any other time.

If it is illegal on Monday, it is illegal on Tuesday. If it was against policy, it is still against policy. If not, it is still not.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Anyone know if carry is o.k. at the Rousseau Centre in Fort Wayne? Not sure if it is a govt. building

[strike]no, you can't. has metal detectors, etc.
    ETA: previously known as the "city/county building." Allen Co sheriff and Ft W PD based out of there. Treasury as well, maybe some courts, too.[/strike]
    sorry I screwed up which building I was thinking of.

-rvb

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Anybody thinking about carrying while voting at a church make absolutely certain there is not a licensed school there, the news ran a story that plainclothes ISP officers will be at polling places they will be watching.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So as I enter my voting location where it is not illegal to carry what about being trespassed for the particular building owners own policies?

i.e. the Grocery Store with a No Guns sign in the window?

Someone at the store would have to tell you to leave and if you refuse, then you can be arrested for trespassing. That's how I interpret the law. Conceal carry.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Anyone know if carry is o.k. at the Rousseau Centre in Fort Wayne? Not sure if it is a govt. building

no, you can't. has metal detectors, etc.
    ETA: previously known as the "city/county building." Allen Co sheriff and Ft W PD based out of there. Treasury as well, maybe some courts, too.
    -rvb

There were not metal detectors when I went into the building to pay my property taxes or visit the assessors office this spring. I think there are sections of the building that may be prohibited but do not recall any dire warnings or signage when I went in the building this spring.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    There were not metal detectors when I went into the building to pay my property taxes or visit the assessors office this spring. I think there are sections of the building that may be prohibited but do not recall any dire warnings or signage when I went in the building this spring.

I thought there have been threads on INGO debating it and it was determine that the PD holding cells made it a gray area? But not directly prohibited according to IC (again this is all from over a year old memory)

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'll second that. Voted there last Saturday. Did not see anything saying not to, I left mine in the car while my LEO buddy kept his on him.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

I'll second that. Voted there last Saturday. Did not see anything saying not to, I left mine in the car while my LEO buddy kept his on him.

Well that's more recent than when I was last there. I've only been there to visit the sheriff for NFA signatures, and the last one was a couple years ago...

sorry if I gave bad info.

-rvb

Last edited:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well that's more recently then when I've been there. I've only been there to visit the sheriff for NFA signatures, and the last one was a couple years ago...
    First time I went I had to go back to the car...
    sorry if I gave bad info.

-rvb
    Perhaps you are speaking of the Bud Meeks justice center? There's where the Sheriff is located. Cannot bring anything in there.... I made the same mistake, only it was winter and I had my big coat on, forgot to empty all my pockets and had to go back to my car 3 times. Finally just emptied everything out and left my coat in the car.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Someone at the store would have to tell you to leave and if you refuse, then you can be arrested for trespassing. That's how I interpret the law. Conceal carry.
    Uncertainty rules Indiana?s laws on guns at polling places | Fox 59
    A coulpe of quotes from the article
    Dr. Madeira disagrees, arguing that U.S. Supreme Court precedent finds that a church or apartment complex community room with a gun ban 364 days a year essentially becomes a public place on Election Day and is subject to the authority of local election officials who do not have the power, in most cases, to ban firearms from the voting booth.
    Only the owner of the private property can tell the gun owner he or she is not welcome at the polling site, said Relford, yet, “For that one day is it no longer private property , is it now public property, now being managed by the local election board? And the election board is, in my mind, now a political subdivision, a unit of government below the state level that cannot prohibit firearms.”

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Perhaps you are speaking of the Bud Meeks justice center? There's where the Sheriff is located.

Then they've moved, because I had to go to the city/county building where I met the sheriff, then walk under the tracks to the Meeks building where I got fingerprinted, then back under the tracks to the parking garage. I've done this maybe 3 times, both with Sheriffs Gladieux and Fries.

Those moves may explain why there are no longer metal detectors in the Rousseau Centre.

-rvb

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Then they've moved, because I had to go to the city/county building where I met the sheriff, then walk under the tracks to the Meeks building where I got fingerprinted, then back under the tracks to the parking garage. I've done this maybe 3 times, both with Sheriffs Gladieux and Fries.
    -rvb
    :yesway: I've only had to go into Meeks to pay my LTCH dues. That place is heavily guarded, sounded like what you were talking about. I did not walk though any metal detectors in the Rousseau Center. So now I do not know where the Sherrif is hiding, don't care much for Gladieux.... :):

Top Bottom