• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    A close friend of mine had some work done this week on a custom lower by Indy Laser Engraving. I needed a couple of NFA items engraved, and gave them a call. Spoke with the owner, Wendell Daniels, and set up up an appointment for today. Wendell said he could take care of my two guns, about ten minutes a piece. I arrived about ten minutes early for my three O'clock appointment. I spent the next 2 hours talking guns, swapping war stories, and just having a good time.Wendell is a great guy who is a gun enthusiast. He is a Marine, and a retired Marion County Sheriffs Deputy. He has spent time as a contractor in Iraq, and this guy knows guns.

His resume is legit! He has top rate, state of the art equipment, and very importantly, an FFL. I wanted my guns engraved discreetly. We discussed what I wanted, and what his equipment was capable of. I wanted the engraving done on a very slim bevel edge on the inside of the mag well on my Sig MPX.Here is what he came up with.

Here's the gun.Here's the engraving on the bevel of the mag well. Here's a shameless plug for a guy that will become a site advertiser. At this point, he can do engraving with a state of the art laser, while you wait. As he gets busier, while you wait will fade, I'm sure. Better hurry INGO!

Last edited:

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    What kind or finishing/refinishing was involved after it was done? I would like some work done on a couple of retro ARs but the finishing of it has me wondering

Romero Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Greenwood
    Looks great and I will be giving them a call to get a lower or two engraved very soon. I am just curious about putting the info inside the mag well. I was recently looking up the actual BATFE requirements and came across this:

Section 7.4 The identification of firearms.
    7.4.1 Serial numbers. Each manufacturer of a firearm must legibly identify it by engraving, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the firearm’s frame or receiver an individual serial number not duplicating any serial number placed by the manufacturer on any other firearm.120 The requirement that the marking be “conspicuously” placed on the firearm means that the marking must be wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch.

These requirements also apply to any trust info. I'm not sure the inside of a mag well meets their "conspicuously" and "unobstructed from plain view" requirements. I have never seen a manufacturer put their info inside the mag well. Great idea though if it's legal. Can anyone point to precedent?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    What kind or finishing/refinishing was involved after it was done? I would like some work done on a couple of retro ARs but the finishing of it has me wondering
    There was no refinishing done on mine. I know some people prefer to color fill the letters afterwards, but I'm not going to. Not really sure how the laser does what it does. It created quite a bit of dust, and he blew it out with compressed air then wiped it down prior to inspecting it with a magnifying glass. It seems to leave kind of a burnt finish in the letters, as opposed to shiny aluminum. No finish damage around the letters. I don't really see a need to refinish at this time.

Before he started on the gun, he ran the laser over a piece of electrical tape to verify spelling etc. the letters came out kind of a golden brown color on the tape.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Looks great and I will be giving them a call to get a lower or two engraved very soon. I am just curious about putting the info inside the mag well. I was recently looking up the actual BATFE requirements and came across this:

Section 7.4 The identification of firearms.
    7.4.1 Serial numbers. Each manufacturer of a firearm must legibly identify it by engraving, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the firearm’s frame or receiver an individual serial number not duplicating any serial number placed by the manufacturer on any other firearm.120 The requirement that the marking be “conspicuously” placed on the firearm means that the marking must be wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch.

These requirements also apply to any trust info. I'm not sure the inside of a mag well meets their "conspicuously" and "unobstructed from plain view" requirements. I have never seen a manufacturer put their info inside the mag well. Great idea though if it's legal. Can anyone point to precedent?

It is plainly visible in the picture with the gun sitting on the bench. No more hidden than putting it inside the trigger guard, which is very common. It works on this particular gun because the beveled edge, but wouldn't work on most ARs.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Wendall is a great dude and has done some custom work for me as well.

SBR.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Good to know, I've got two I have to get engraved and another I may have done and file for... I think I'll make an appointment for sometime next month!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Good to know, I've got two I have to get engraved and another I may have done and file for... I think I'll make an appointment for sometime next month!

I know he said he'll be at the June 1500 if that's a better option for you.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know he said he'll be at the June 1500 if that's a better option for you.

I just got a form 1 back so I gotta get it done. Realistically it'll probably be asap now that I know where they stand. I wasn't expecting them back until at least the end of April.

Top Bottom