• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If I'm ever in a situation where I need to shoot my gun after taking it out of a drum of oil, I'll remember this smug little video. If you want to show me anything, do that and them hump it through a sand storm and see what you think. That' the reason a lot of your military students believe in the "myth" of overlubrication.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yeah this was really dumb. I don't think anyone is seriously concerned their gun won't function when it's over lubbed, they're worried about the friction caused by all the grit and gunk that gets caught up in it.

I would like to see them try that again, only after pulling it out of the bucket drop it on the ground and cover it with dirt and sand, then fire it. That test might actually serve a purpose.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    If I'm ever in a situation where I need to shoot my gun after taking it out of a drum of oil, I'll remember this smug little video. If you want to show me anything, do that and them hump it through a sand storm and see what you think. That' the reason a lot of your military students believe in the "myth" of overlubrication.

Well that's the thing I don't understand about this video. They talk about students, military, police, etc. being concerned about getting sand or dirt in the gun because of a excess oil making it stick, but they don't drag the gun through the dirt or throw it in a box of play sand after taking it out of the tub of oil. They basically didn't do anything with this video other than waste a lot of oil and prove that the guns can be run with oil, a lot of oil, but did nothing to dismiss a "myth" about getting it dirty after the fact.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    AR's are "wet" guns, but not that wet. I always lube my bolt carrier group where it is NOT dripping, but where it will leave a finger print when handling. I believe that is proper lubrication of an AR BCG.
    YMMV

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

LAV and his buddies have been in southwest Asian sandstorms. They all keep their bolt carrier group "wet." I've never been there (obviously!), but I wouldn't second guess them even if I had. Wet is good.

Every teacher with whom I've trained with carbine/rifle as advocated a "wet" bolt carrier group for ARs. Some insisted on it and would carry a bottle of lube to squirt into students' rifles at the first malfunction. I've been on a firing line in a class with several students who refused to accept this concept who kept having malfunctions. The instructor made everyone unload and then walked down the line and squirted lube onto the carrier of every rifle on the line (except for mine when he saw it was "wet" already and of course mine had no malfunctions). After that, their rifles functioned without issue.

My limited experience in the environment in which I exist has confirmed that policy. A filthy AR with a generously lubed bolt and carrier will function reliably indefinitely. Dry guns will often choke even when clean.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    yeah. no. Seen more that a couple M16's choke on the line from running too wet or to much grease.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    yeah. no. Seen more that a couple M16's choke on the line from running too wet or to much grease.

Really? I've seen many tens of thousands of rounds go downrange and I've never seen a rifle stop because it was too wet with lube.

Greases can cause an issue, especially in cold weather, but I don't use grease on the bolt/carrier of an AR.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Really? I've seen many tens of thousands of rounds go downrange and I've never seen a rifle stop because it was too wet with lube.

Greases can cause an issue, especially in cold weather, but I don't use grease on the bolt/carrier of an AR.

Good for you. I have the enjoyment of dealing with this issue with about 400 rifles a year. While the majority of problems is under or no lube there are few that lube them to death. ILEA did and prob still does advocate using grease on the carrier. Couple times using them this way the brass residue, dirt and following mixed to a sludge work their way into the firing pin channel and they start hitting light. Glocks are even more sensitive on this issue. Its not a hard fast rule that over lubeing them will cause it but it does occur especially when combines with lack of care.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They all keep their bolt carrier group "wet."

Stateside, sure. Who cares? It's the smug presentation that got me and the "myth" of attracting sand. You know why they carry that bottle of lube? Because you carry the gun lightly lubed, wet it if poo hits the fan, and then strip and clean it, then lightly lube it before heading out again. You can wet it for a gun fight yet still keep it relatively dust free while humping it. That's one reason we went to militec grease on the bolts. I don't think our armorer just liked the smell. When the gun isn't being fired, its more like a wax and sand didn't stick it in so much, but when the gun needed to run it melted and lubed.

We were issued covers to put over the .50 cals when dust storms rolled in. If dust doesn't stick to oil, why bother? If we want to use their car analogy, anybody who's spilled oil or had a leak has seen the dust and grime stuck in it after a bit.

Pouring clean oil over a gun and shooting it for 10 rounds proves nothing.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Stateside, sure. Who cares? It's the smug presentation that got me and the "myth" of attracting sand. You know why they carry that bottle of lube? Because you carry the gun lightly lubed, wet it if poo hits the fan, and then strip and clean it, then lightly lube it before heading out again. You can wet it for a gun fight yet still keep it relatively dust free while humping it. That's one reason we went to militec grease on the bolts. I don't think our armorer just liked the smell. When the gun isn't being fired, its more like a wax and sand didn't stick it in so much, but when the gun needed to run it melted and lubed.

We were issued covers to put over the .50 cals when dust storms rolled in. If dust doesn't stick to oil, why bother? If we want to use their car analogy, anybody who's spilled oil or had a leak has seen the dust and grime stuck in it after a bit.

Pouring clean oil over a gun and shooting it for 10 rounds proves nothing.

I'll agree that he should have fired much more than 10 rounds...

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    15 years in Delta and he always ran his rifles wet (according to him). I'll take his word for it, he knows more about it than I do. A dry rifle will get jammed easily, get that bolt wet. Has always worked for me.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    In my experience, my M-16 ran great when soaked to the point of blowing oil out of it the first few rounds. Never had issue one with it, stateside or in the sandboxes that I have been dropped in. If I KNOW its not getting fired, then sure, coat it, wipe it dry, and carry on. If I wear headed into a situation that I felt odds are high that a serious amount of gunpowder will get burnt, its going in wet. If anything, that extra oil will flow and debris out of the way.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have seen many more weapons go down because of lack of lubrication than over-lubrication.

Top Bottom