Offered an Illegal SBR on trade. What to do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I was offered this SBR on trade today, I asked the guy if it was registered, and he said no, he had no paperwork for it. I told him in the configuration he has it in, it's an illegal SBR, but he blew me off. What would you do? Ignore him and wait for him to potentially trade to someone else who doesn't know the laws surrounding NFA, or turn him in? I hate the idea of busting fellow gun owners for what I think is a stupid law in the first place, but I also hate the idea of an innocent person having their life ruined by him due to their ignorance.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Being that you tried to inform him and he blew it off, that would make it a little easier. But ignorance of the law is no excuse. Buyers need to know what the laws are. There are way to many sources to find out what is right.

Tough call.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    If the offer was over INGO, I'd report them to the board admins, because of his ignorance, to protect INGO members.

Outside of INGO, he'll get caught for it eventually, if he truly wants to be that ignorant. :dunno:

Or its also possible that the gun is stolen, and he doesn't care if its illegal or not.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    If the offer was over INGO, I'd report them to the board admins, because of his ignorance, to protect INGO members.

Outside of INGO, he'll get caught for it eventually, if he truly wants to be that ignorant. :dunno:

Or its also possible that the gun is stolen, and he doesn't care if its illegal or not.

Or he's BATF...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Unless the BATF is really good at acting dumb (insert anti government joke here... ba-dum tsh) then it wasn't a government sting of any sort.

What do you mean acting? (anti government joke inserted here... ba-dum tsh) But yes quite possible. Or as I said above the guy could just be a run of the mill idiot.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Stay away from him.
    That's definitely the plan. I had thought about telling him to take the stock and pistol grip off, but there are just too many legitimate guns out there to worry about this one. I really lean towards reporting him, but then I think of all the Jews who were reported by their neighbors for not registering. It's a poor comparison, but you get the idea.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Did you tell him to order himself one of the Sig AR pistol shooting aids?

It would probably surprise people of how many guys really just do not know the NFA laws. They see guns on the internet, movies ect. and decide they like them. They order the barrel or whatever and put the thing together never thinking a thing about it. Some guys think that because you can buy it then it is not illegal. IMO those kind of guys should be informed of the law so that they can correct the problem. I don't think hardly anyone would want to see a guy like that get in any sort of trouble.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I wouldn't turn him in either. If this was a friend of mine, I'd would think I would owe it to him to keep trying to get through. Otherwise, you did what you could and I'd avoid him.

Top Bottom