Advice from Gun Shop Customers: annoying or helpful?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Just wondering how others feel. I find myself getting annoyed with some patrons of gun shops, mostly if they just are generally annoying anyway, and just pushing their opinion on me. Then there are others who seem to know what they are talking about, and I appreciate their input. The other day we were at a shop, clearly looking at revolvers, and some guy starts telling us how much he likes his .40. OK, fine, but I'm not into .40s, they're just not my personal preference. He keeps following us and talking about his .40s. I think the guy would have been a nuisance no matter what he was talking about, we couldn't wait to get away from him.
    However, I'm starting to wonder if I am one of those annoying people! Especially if I see a woman looking at a gun I know about, I tend to give my opinion. Sometimes the spouse/so, if she is with one, doesn't seem to like that. Recently we were at a shop, and the woman seemed to have done some research. I could tell which gun she was really drawn to, and her husband was steering her toward what most of us would think is an inferior model. I asked her some questions and told her I was carrying the model she liked on me right then. I'm just trying to help, but I don't want to be a nuisance!
    What do you guys think?

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The only time I give my opinion in a gun shop without being asked is if I see someone do something dangerous or , if I here someone giveing someone potentialy dangerous info.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    If you are getting or giving good information then I don't see the problem. The problem is when as you found the info is unwanted and the person just won't shut up.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My insightful analysis, when given to others, is clearly brilliant and timely. Unwelcome blathering by an idiot trying to push their opinion upon me is incredibly annoying. :)

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've ran into people like that. They think they know everything about every gun/caliber. Of course, what they own is always better than what someone else owns. Since you owned the gun the lady was looking at, I don't see any problem with you talking to her about that model. I'm sure you weren't a nuisance to her.:twocents:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My insightful analysis, when given to others, is clearly brilliant and timely. Unwelcome blathering by an idiot trying to push their opinion upon me is incredibly annoying. :)

There are two sides to every argument.

Unfortunately I don't have time to listen to yours. :p

Guido7562

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Brookville
    Recently I was in a shop and was given a speech worthy of a political candidate. The guy did know what he was talking about, but talked to me like I was a noob. VERY ANNOYING! The gunshop owner obviously knew him and drew him away from me. Points for the owner.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Some people think they are being helpful by being annoying. On the plus side, at least he was trying to sell you on the merits of a 40 and not telling you you're a girl and should carry a 22 or a 380.

I have spoken up when I hear men trying to sell women on the lightweight 38 specials. I always recommend they shoot one before buying one.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Some people think they are being helpful by being annoying. On the plus side, at least he was trying to sell you on the merits of a 40 and not telling you you're a girl and should carry a 22 or a 380.
    After I ignored him he went on to follow my husband around and rave about the merits of the .40. I'm usually better at ignoring and giving the cold shoulder to people in public than my husband is. :draw:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I speak up only to offer an endorsement. If someone is looking at something I own and like, I'll offer a brief positive opinion like, "l have that gun. I really like it." Then if they want to ask me more they can. I don't want to intrude nor do I consider it my job to prevent strangers from doing something I think inadvisable.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I speak up only to offer an endorsement. If someone is looking at something I own and like, I'll offer a brief positive opinion like, "l have that gun. I really like it." Then if they want to ask me more they can. I don't want to intrude nor do I consider it my job to prevent strangers from doing something I think inadvisable.
    That's pretty much what I do. There are some guns I just would not buy, although I don't have personal experience with them, so I don't offer my opinion unless asked.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    The only time I approach someone is if I see that really don't know much of anything otherwise you never know how the person will react, generally I try to do as much research and get as much info as I can before I try to sound like I know something about that particular firearm or topic. I have been approached before and been told what is the best and my response to the person is what maybe best for you may not be for me but I appreciate your input, I do keep an open mind and like to learn from other people but do dislike those who think they know it all.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I will occasionally offer advise. However I either ask first if they mind some input, or I'll talk to the clerk as though I'm just idly commenting. Usually unless its someone passing poor info on to a rank noob as gospel, I'll keep to myself, though.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    For some reason, advice that begins with "May I suggest..." tends to be full of fail. I always want to respond, "No you may not." :evilangel:
    Still, I do appreciate input from a good, knowledgeable person. Seems like every LGS has at least one regular who is an annoying know-it-all. Sucks when you don't know who that person is, until you've already been drawn into a conversation. Sucks even more when that person is your neighbor! :xmad:

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    I will occasionally offer advise. However I either ask first if they mind some input, or I'll talk to the clerk as though I'm just idly commenting. Usually unless its someone passing poor info on to a rank noob as gospel, I'll keep to myself, though.

I think that's the way to go about it. I really never mind input at the shop especially when it's good information! However, when someone starts talking to me like I'm buying my first gun I get fairly annoyed. When it comes to giving information, though, I tend to keep to myself. To me, buying a firearm is a private ordeal and I don't want everyone and their brother trying to persuade me into buying something I don't want.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Cindy, by coincidence, this scenario represents exactly the one I saw awhile back wherein I intervened (uninvited) in a conversation between a clerk at the Gander in Castelton and a young couple.

I was exceedingly polite and asked the clerk if I might make a comment (he could hardly say no). The young lady was being shown one of those ultra-light wheelguns that I know would have scared her damned near to death the first time she fired it which was NOT being pointed out by the clerk. I had but recently gone through this with my own better half and recommended taking a look at some of the less brutal self-loaders.

I can't honestly say I was comfortable doing it but they REALLY needed the information. They seemed grateful to receive it.

sescbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I tend to try not to annoy since I really hate being annoyed. That being said, I will sometimes comment if I own the actual gun or item being looked at.

Top Bottom