• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Lots of people coming in the shop love the look of 1911s, but some are put off by the method of field strip...meaning the possibility of scratching a gun they just forked over a grand for.

In the interest of bringing more folks into the 1911 fold, and allaying their fears, I've taken to having a few tricks on hand to put them at ease.

Firstly, I have a hair barrette on my key chain that I use to hold the plunger back in the tube, making it easy to just drop the slide stop right in.
    Chicks seem to LOVE this idea. It makes them feel like the gun was made for them...just because their hairbob can "fix" it. :)

IMG_1982.jpg

I also carry a guitar pick (and have given them away) that can be used to lay on the frame in the area that the dreaded scratch can happen...it's a great "idiot scratch" deterrent. I've encouraged the use and shown people how to do it because even though their gun isn't mine, it pains me to see a beautiful gun marred by a slip (or a lack of knowledge).
    If you can use a simple trick to side step a horrible scratch...why not??

IMG_2585.jpg

I also have one of those brass take-down tools on the way, after seeing 88E30M50's classified ad, which put me in search of a demo. Kinda slick (bye bye, stupid paper clip thingy!!) It takes the tension off the spring and lines up the takedown notch with the slide stop...ALMOST no room for error!
    Here's a Google offered pic:

wp_000238.jpg

Now, I know all the field strip and reassembly can be done without the tools...even the bushingless compacts... but it DOES put people at ease to have an "out" and give them an option that makes them feel more competent to own one of these awesome pieces of machinery when they'd otherwise feel relegated to plastic.
    For the price of 30¢ guitar picks, high dollar beautiful guns aren't so intimidating.

Whatever works. :)

I really like introducing people to the awesomeness of the 1911 and those sweet single action triggers. They spoil you...they sure do :D

I'm doin' my part. :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am spoiled.
    My son gave my colt it's "Idiot" scratch during his 2nd tear down and cleaning. He did the same thing to his Colt the same day. He was going to clean them as a surprise. "Surprise"

The 1911 my uncle gave me that he carried in Korea and the Nam has a nice scratch on it. He says you do not waste any time with that crap when someone is shooting at you. Makes sense to me.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just buy a Detonics 1911 and the recoil spring is a captured assembly that drops right in, the fact that the barrel is bushingless make it even easier to field strip.

As for the idiot scratch issues, the tab on the baseplate of the magazine can be used to not only pull the Slide Stop out when disassembling a Detonics, it can be used in the same way that you use the guitar pick to hold it just off the frame.

No tools needed.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    He says you do not waste any time with that crap when someone is shooting at you. Makes sense to me.

So far so good...I've never had to reassemble mine while someone is shooting at me. If that ever happens, I'll scratch it and then forgive myself later. But for now...it ain'ta gonna get no scratch. :D

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I am surprised that you have not found the trick that LOG MAN POSTED ON THE 1911 forum ON HOW TO DO A MODIFICATION TO THE SLIDE STOP, Then you never need wory about IDIOT MARKS.Just use a triangular needle file on the slide stop.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I am surprised that you have not found the trick that LOG MAN POSTED ON THE 1911 forum ON HOW TO DO A MODIFICATION TO THE SLIDE STOP, Then you never need wory about IDIOT MARKS.Just use a triangular needle file on the slide stop.

I've seen that in a few places. Meh. After so many re-assemblies, things sort of polish out where you need them and you don't have to use "tricks" anymore anyhow.
    But at first (or for now)...if you don't have a file or proper tools for modification of any parts... a well placed guitar pick can save some "oh crap" moments. :D

IMG_2678.jpg

;)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am currently in between owning a 1911. I am afraid that if I owned one that did not have an idiot mark it might be false advertising.:n00b:

Top Bottom