• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    Is it legal to carry my handgun into the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the big race this weekend? I was planning on carrying my new LCP in my pocket concealed.
    Thanks

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have not been since the new IRL crap started with the new cars what 1996 maybe. Back then you could just about bring in whatever you wanted. I have seen flair guns, hookers, falling scaffolding (3 dead that year) burning cars, burning sofa's, fish tanks coolers bigger that truck beds. I don't think any of that is allowed now. Drive into the track with anything in the car. Now it is a freaking golf course not a racetrack.

It is not the same anymore. I would bring the kids and not worry, One of the safest place in the state on race day. It is not like it was in the 1970, or 1980's.

I would call the track and ask. I have not seen a sing posted back then that said that you could not carry. Might be in the small print on the ticket.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    its against track policy to carry, and its illegal to CC in Speedway, town ordinance that's not enforced, I would carry CC, if you get caught you will have to leave the track

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    36   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    indy

I have never been to a race. just qualifying and practice! I THINK (if i am remembering correctly) last year at the main gate on pole day (didnt make it this year) There was some security , with hand held metal detectors??
    :dunno:

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I've been to every Indy 500 since 1992 and have never seen any metal detectors utilized...not saying there isn't, but I haven't seen them. At each of the gates, depending on the security running the gate, you might be patted down and have your cooler searched...but it all just depends. The last three years, my wife and I have just walked right thru with no one even looking at us other than to take our tickets.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Against track policy, but not illegal, as others have said. I have never been searched when entering the track. Then again, I don't try to cart in luggage and a refrigerator.

Here are their "regulations":
    http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/about/35188-Spectator-Regulations/

• Compliance with all local, state, and federal laws is required. Weapons, including firearms and ammunition, of any kind are not permitted (unless in the possession of a duly authorized law enforcement officer). Fireworks and flares are not allowed.
    • Coolers are permitted but size is restricted to no larger than 14 inches by 14 inches by 14 inches; coolers may be hard- or soft-sided.
    • Purses, backpacks and other bags are permitted. Size is not to exceed 14 inches by 14 inches by 14 inches.
    • Food and beverages are permitted, but no glass containers of any kind are allowed.
    • Binoculars, scanners and cameras (including cases) are allowed inside the Speedway .
    • Camera stands (tripods, monopods, etc.) are allowed on the grounds as long as they do not cause safety hazard nor obstruct the view of others. Such equipment is not to be used in the stands.
    • Strollers, lawn chairs and folding camping chairs are allowed. Such items are not permitted in the stands, and IMS does not provide storage or safekeeping.
    • Umbrellas are permitted and may be used as long as the user does not obstruct the view of others and takes sole responsibility for their safe use.
    • Carts and wagons are allowed every day except Race Day. Use of carts and wagons may be restricted in some areas.
    • Mobility aids used by guests with disabilities are permitted. Guests are responsible for securing unattended wheelchairs and scooters. The Speedway reserves the right to restrict any device based on size or other consideration.
    • Animals, other than law enforcement dogs and assistance animals for the disabled (e.g.: Seeing Eye dogs), are not allowed.
    • Roller blades, skateboards, skates, scooters and bicycles are not permitted in the facility.
    • Golf carts are reserved for the exclusive use of officials or representatives of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indy Racing League and permitted race participants, and then only for business purposes. All golf carts must be pre-approved and pre-registered with the Speedway, and no personal golf carts are permitted.
    • No scaffolding or other structures are allowed.
    • Any other items not mentioned that may pose a safety hazard or diminish the enjoyment of the event by others are not permitted.
    • Handbills, leaflets, flyers, pamphlets and samples of any kind are not to be distributed or placed on the grounds without the express written approval of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
    • Scalping of tickets or the sale of any merchandise without the express written approval of IMS is not permitted on Speedway property.
    • Personal items brought to the Speedway are the sole responsibility of their owner, and the owner assumes the risk of their loss or damage.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Compliance with all local, state, and federal laws is required.
    So yes I can carry with a LTCH because I'm complying with the law.

Weapons, including firearms and ammunition, of any kind are not permitted (unless in the possession of a duly authorized law enforcement officer). Fireworks and flares are not allowed. .
    No I cannot carry because I'm not a LO

So which is it?

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I would skip, it is one hot\horrible day, just having a weapon in my back with those metal seats would suck as if its not bad enough already. This coming from a guy that carries everywhere.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I've lived in Indy all my life and been to the race once. That was plenty.

Carry or not, I would have no interest in diving into that sea of humanity.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    If you get into the infield with your vehicle eirly enough. You can bring in whatever you want and not be searched. Just ticket taken at the underpass.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN

Agreed 100%.. I use to live in the area, I wouldn't go anywhere without being armed. There's A LOT of crazy drunks walking around. As for the race itself, just my :twocents:, it's a waste a time.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Agreed 100%.. I use to live in the area, I wouldn't go anywhere without being armed. There's A LOT of crazy drunks walking around. As for the race itself, just my :twocents:, it's a waste a time.

:+1: to both above quotes. With all the idiots at that race, the thousands upon thousands of people from all over the world, nope, I'm not paying to go through that hell. I will go and walk around the outside of the track to see if I can spot some good deals on merchandise, or see someone showing off their funbags, but I'm not going in to see the race. Better coverage on TV, IMHO.

If you get into the infield with your vehicle eirly enough. You can bring in whatever you want and not be searched. Just ticket taken at the underpass.

IF I were to go, this is the only way I would go so that I could enjoy the VROOOOOM of the race cars while getting smash drunk and grill out.

The pre-race tailgate parties are a lot of fun too, but I wouldn't go without carrying concealed. I normally OC everywhere, but this one be one thing I would most certainly CC at.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I was shaken down at Carb day last year. LEO told me to put it in the car or take a hike. They just do not like it. He claimed it was not illegal, but they had the right to ask you to leave.

Couple that with the idea of trying to move through that many folks without one touching the gun is a VERY tricky, almost budist monk training, level of difficulty.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Couple that with the idea of trying to move through that many folks without one touching the gun is a VERY tricky, almost budist monk training, level of difficulty.

If anyone's rubbing up against the front of me, there's going to be problems, carry or no carry.

When I CC, I carry at 1 or 2 o'clock. Sometimes 3 depending on the situation.

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    I was going to pocket carry with my LCP, I doubt people would be able to notice at all. I will probably leave it at home. I have been about 10 times and there are LOTS of police on duty at the track.

To all the people who don't like the crowded race, growing up on the north side of Indy its a May tradition. Yeah there are a lot of crazy drunk people, but there are also lots of families and responsible people that attend. And if you are worried about it being to hot, upgrade to some covered seats to be in the cool shade. I think it says a lot for the city to be able to host 400,000+ people annually for many years for such a pristine event. Lets not forget its on Memorial Day weekend and a lot of the pre race events are honored to our service men and women. I look forward to the Indy 500 in May each and every year for the chance to get together with friends and family, enjoy the weather, and watch the best race in motorsports. For anyone that is planning on going have a great time at the track and be safe.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    ive went to the race my whole life when ive been home. except the last few years. i stopped drinking like a fish, got married, and then i saw no point in going to the race anymore. i realized i never was a race fan, i was a tail chasing, alcohol, and party fan, thats it. get there early when the cannon goes off, park inside, start drinking, eat, drink, chase some tail while drinking, hear some old bag from a washed up TV show about a fake perfect world sing, then gomer pyle sings, then you hear the most god awefull sound of your life thats constantly a buzz kill, then you wake up and its time to go. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

now i go to the brickyard. its fun. i still could give a crap less about racing, but i like to watch the crashes!!! total WIN!!!

Top Bottom