• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    Ok let me get this straight. Does IC 35 47 14 make it illegal for a leo to remove a handgun from your vehicle during a traffic stop? This assuming officer has been shown your ltch.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    Depends on if they can articulate that you are 'dangerous' and a Judge believes them.

If the court finds that probable cause exists to believe that the individual is dangerous, the court shall order the law enforcement agency having custody of the firearm to retain the firearm. If the court finds that there is no probable cause to believe that the individual is dangerous, the court shall order the law enforcement agency having custody of the firearm to return the firearm to the individual

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I don't believe the above legal definition is applicable to a roadside stop. This would be more in line with a person arrested for something and his firearms are confiscated. A police officer should have probable cause that a law has been broken in order to legally search your vehicle. Possession of firearms by a legal person is not probable cause.

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    So I guess the question is, would an officer during a routine traffic stop be justified in removing youre handgun from the vehicle knowing you are legally possessing it? Or does the code not apply to this situation for the sake of "officer safety".

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No, he would not. There are a few exceptions (IC 35-47-14-3, Terry stop, search after arrest) that he would not need a warrant.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Huh? You are saying someone has to actually say they do not consent to a search or they do? That does not sound right.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    Huh? You are saying someone has to actually say they do not consent to a search or they do? That does not sound right.
    No. It is pretty well established consent has to be knowing and voluntary not simply the absence of active objection.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    There really has been no firm ruling on this that I know of. Just because all questioning about the handgun stops when the permit is shown doesn't mean an LEO can't temporarily take possession of what is a deadly weapon.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    There really has been no firm ruling on this that I know of. Just because all questioning about the handgun stops when the permit is shown doesn't mean an LEO can't temporarily take possession of what is a deadly weapon.
    Does'nt he have to articulate why he felt the need to take possession of the "deadly weapon" being lawfully carried absent any reason other than it's a deadly weapon?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Are you going to take my Vehicle Keys away from me as well.
    Or how about my Hand Tools...
    Or the Bow and Quiver...
    Or how about my Knife...

Last I knew three out of those four items were responsible for more deaths a year than Firearms...

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

did you know that not all our laws come from "rulings"? Some actually come from the legislature, where they are passed and signed by the governor. This is such a law. If he takes the firearm then he must articulate to a judge just why, in specifics, he felt there was danger to his life. That is the law.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    did you know that not all our laws come from "rulings"? Some actually come from the legislature, where they are passed and signed by the governor. This is such a law. If he takes the firearm then he must articulate to a judge just why, in specifics, he felt there was danger to his life. That is the law.
    Yeah, but all interpretations of what was meant by the law comes from rulings. It looks like many people are reading the same thing and interpreting it differently. You say cops can't according to the law; some say cops can according to the law. Until the courts say stop it's gonna keep on happening.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, but all interpretations of what was meant by the law comes from rulings. It looks like many people are reading the same thing and interpreting it differently. You say cops can't according to the law; some say cops can according to the law. Until the courts say stop it's gonna keep on happening.

Cops can according to which law?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

Those of us who state that cops legally can't also tend to quote specific laws and court rulings. Those that say that cops can generally quote themselves and their feelings about what should be right.

Top Bottom