Stranger approaches your car when stopped at a light...what's your plan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I had an unusual experience this morning. I was driving to work as usual and noticed the car ahead of me on the state highway was driving strangely. He'd hit is brake lights every time he passed a house, and was driving about 40MPH in a 55MPH zone. I kept my distance since I didn't want to potentially rear-end him if he stopped suddenly.

Once we were past a row of houses he sped back up to the speed limit for the next 1/2 mile or so, before stopping at a stop sign that was a "Tee" intersection. He sat there longer than normal and I slowly pulled to a stop behind him, again giving him a bit of room. By this time a few more cars had pulled up behind me.

The driver got out of the car and started quickly walking towards my truck. Until then I hadn't thought much about it other than maybe the guy was lost or distracted and maybe texting and driving. As he approaches he gives a friendly 1/2 wave and we make eye contact. Because I'm a low speed high drag Tier 5 operator, I watched his hands to make sure he didn't have a weapon. No weapons visible and his hands were both in front of him in a non-threatening manner. I roll down my window and as "may I help you?" He asked if I could help him find <Farmer Brown's> Farm (not the real name he asked for of course). He said he worked for a contractor that was helping do a job out there and had gotten lost on the country roads. He was wearing a bright yellow T-shirt with a construction logo and Carhart work pants, so story sounded legit.

The farm he was looking for was 5 or 6 miles away, and there wasn't an easy way for me to tell him how to get there without the usual country directions of "go to the old farm house by the crick, hang a left, and then go until you see the 5 legged billy goat farm, then take a right." So I pointed him in the general direction and gave him a few turn by turn directions from where we were that at least got him closer than he was now. I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt since it is easy to get lost in the country, especially for someone from out of state. He thanked me and said he'd go that way and hopefully he'd be able to find someone else to help him get the rest of the way there.

After that he went back to his car and went on his way. I genuinely hoped I was helpful and kind of felt bad that I wasn't able to get him all the way there with easy directions. I've had other people pull in my drive way while I've been working in the yard and I always help them or at least get them pointed in the right direction. I always figure I'd want that same kind of help if I were lost.

I had some time to think about it a bit more and started wondering how I might have reacted different had I determined the guy was a threat. Most of my self defense plan is either based upon keeping our home secure in the event of a break in, or defending myself in a public place while walking or sitting. I haven't really planned at all about what to do if I was in my vehicle.

Lets say the guy got out and clearly had a weapon, such as a knife, tire iron, gun, etc. Then what?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Respond in kind if need be. I have had so many occasions where my service truck was approached over the years it just became SOP to have my EDC in hand. You do not have to use it then don't but keep it handy.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Lets say the guy got out and clearly had a weapon, such as a knife, tire iron, gun, etc. Then what?
    Drive away.

I actually had a guy flip out a while back. He had been driving DANGEROUSLY slow (like 10MPH or less) and was starting to back up traffic. I had flashed by lights a couple of times, to see if he was just being inattentive. I guess that tweaked a nerve, as he stopped in the middle of the road, got out, started yelling, and came towards my truck. I just hit the gas, and left.

Luckily, the oncoming lane was clear. Alternative #1 was to jump the curb and pass no that side. Alternative #3 was to use reverse (sorry for the folks behind me). #4 was to forcefully move his little subcompact. Farther down the list was to actually engage him (with the bumper, or otherwise). First priority is to put some distance.

+1 to you for leaving room to maneuver. So many folks pull right up behind the vehicle in front of them, and are effectively boxed in by their own choice.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There was​ kind of a Penthouse Forum vibe in that story.

Fixeded.

Dear Penthouse,

I had an unusual experience this morning. I was driving to work as usual and noticed the guy in the car ahead of me. He'd hit is brake lights every time we passed a house. I kept my distance since I didn't want to potentially rear-end him if he stopped suddenly.

He stopped at a stop sign that was a "Tee" intersection. He sat there longer than normal and I slowly pulled to a stop behind him, again giving him a bit of room.

The driver got out of the car and started quickly walking towards my truck. As he approaches he gives a friendly 1/2 wave and we make eye contact. Because I'm a low speed high drag Tier 5 operator, I watched his body move. His hands were both in front of him in a non-threatening manner. I roll down my window and asked "may I help you?" He asked if I could help him push in his bar stool. He said he worked for a contractor that was helping do a job out there and had gotten lost on the country roads. He was wearing a bright yellow T-shirt with a construction logo and Carhart work pants, and not much else.

There wasn't an easy way for me to tell him how to get where he needed to be. So I pointed him in the general direction and gave him directions that got him closer than he was now. I wanted to give the guy the benefit. He thanked me and said he'd go that way and hopefully he'd be able to find someone else to help him get the rest of the way there.

I genuinely hoped I was helpful and kind of felt bad that I wasn't able to get him all the way there with easy directions. I've had other people pull in my drive way while I've been working in the yard and I always help them or at least get them pointed in the right direction. I always figure I'd want that same kind of help.

Name withheld by request

OMG

It may only be me, but I'm actually laughing at the different context. Surprising how little editing there actually needed to be.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    While I'm in agreement that the best option is escape, anyone with common sense knows that is not always possible. I have a dedicated car gun that stays in the car. I took some screws and put a holster on my side of the center console just in front of the seat. That holster sits just behind my knees and can be reached easily. I get in the car and put the gun in the holster, I get out of the car and put it back in the glove box. This works really well for me.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    :faint:

Always have the 'spidey sense' set at '10'. Some years ago, NWI dealt with a series of 'bump & rob / rape' incidents which brought the car scenario to broader attention.

Whether or not the EDC is in hand when someone approaches the vehicle depends on the overall circumstances. IF it is in hand, it's pointed at the drivers door, typically kept just below the door armrest so as not to be noticed if the suspected person is near. If forced into a defensive situation, shoot through the door.

If forced to present the firearm, don't extend through the open window outside the car. It's not the movies, so no hanging out of the window, shooting out the rear window of the BG's car. The object is to gain time and/or distance, to evade / escape or respond further.

As noted above, keep some distance from the car in front you. NOT 'just enough' to back away, quickly, but a bit more so if there's a vehicle 'on your bumper' to the rear, there's still enough room to maneuver and escape / evade.

Unless you're in Chicago, of course. There, leave 2' in between cars, and you'll have 867 cars try to jam in. MORE during rush hour! :laugh:

Something I learned decades ago, from motorcycling: ALWAYS leave yourself an out.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I had an unusual experience this morning. I was driving to work as usual and noticed the car ahead of me on the state highway was driving strangely. He'd hit is brake lights every time he passed a house, and was driving about 40MPH in a 55MPH zone. I kept my distance since I didn't want to potentially rear-end him if he stopped suddenly.

Once we were past a row of houses he sped back up to the speed limit for the next 1/2 mile or so, before stopping at a stop sign that was a "Tee" intersection. He sat there longer than normal and I slowly pulled to a stop behind him, again giving him a bit of room. By this time a few more cars had pulled up behind me.

The driver got out of the car and started quickly walking towards my truck. Until then I hadn't thought much about it other than maybe the guy was lost or distracted and maybe texting and driving. As he approaches he gives a friendly 1/2 wave and we make eye contact. Because I'm a low speed high drag Tier 5 operator, I watched his hands to make sure he didn't have a weapon. No weapons visible and his hands were both in front of him in a non-threatening manner. I roll down my window and as "may I help you?" He asked if I could help him find <Farmer Brown's> Farm (not the real name he asked for of course). He said he worked for a contractor that was helping do a job out there and had gotten lost on the country roads. He was wearing a bright yellow T-shirt with a construction logo and Carhart work pants, so story sounded legit.

The farm he was looking for was 5 or 6 miles away, and there wasn't an easy way for me to tell him how to get there without the usual country directions of "go to the old farm house by the crick, hang a left, and then go until you see the 5 legged billy goat farm, then take a right." So I pointed him in the general direction and gave him a few turn by turn directions from where we were that at least got him closer than he was now. I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt since it is easy to get lost in the country, especially for someone from out of state. He thanked me and said he'd go that way and hopefully he'd be able to find someone else to help him get the rest of the way there.

After that he went back to his car and went on his way. I genuinely hoped I was helpful and kind of felt bad that I wasn't able to get him all the way there with easy directions. I've had other people pull in my drive way while I've been working in the yard and I always help them or at least get them pointed in the right direction. I always figure I'd want that same kind of help if I were lost.

I had some time to think about it a bit more and started wondering how I might have reacted different had I determined the guy was a threat. Most of my self defense plan is either based upon keeping our home secure in the event of a break in, or defending myself in a public place while walking or sitting. I haven't really planned at all about what to do if I was in my vehicle.

Vehicle Force on Force Scenarios |

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRDSZiUAhvA&feature=player_embedded#!

Top Bottom