If you saw this guy, would you shoot him?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    If you stopped at a red light and saw this, would you shoot?
    If you parked in a parking lot and saw this, would you shoot?
    If you pulled over on the shoulder and saw this, would you shoot?

Commenters identifying as police are basically in universal agreement to open fire. I'm just wondering what everyone else would do, that has not received that kind of "training."

[video=youtube;nuCIU2kv-2E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuCIU2kv-2E[/video]

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    NO SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....he was only getting his cane!!!!!.............i hope the ol'boy lived......sad very sad....

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    What was that 6-7 shots? Nice peppering of the tail gate. I had a hard time hearing the audio but I did hear the wife say "they shot (him) in the chest". Yet the officer performs no first aid? Around 4:30 the wife touches one of the other officers; I wonder if she was charged with assault and revisiting?

In what states is it common to get out of the vehicle during a traffic stop?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Anybody know?

The backstory is that this 70-year-old Vietnam vet was stopped for an expired license plate. He was shot in the stomach and survived.

70-year-old man shot for picking up cane during traffic stop | Police State USA

In what states is it common to get out of the vehicle during a traffic stop?

In the era he grew up in, it was not that uncommon. He obviously has not spent much time on the internet reading about how easily people can get shot for doing nothing malicious and nothing aggressive in the presence of modern day law enforcement.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Horrible all the way around.

I hear the old guy say "Oh, I'll be allright..." I turned the vid off at that point. Just not in the mood for that today. Damn.

I really hope this thread doesn't turn out to be an infamous ingo dog pile. As bad as I feel for the guy and his poor wife, that cop is ruined for life likely, too. I empathize with his hurt. God knows I would hate to be him.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i'm so glad he lived!!!!!....that vid made me VERY ANGRY at how chicken **** the LEO was......i hope he lost his job and is being sued .......

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I can almost assure you the officer's decision to open fire was based on this:

[video=youtube;L6z8q4lOrDU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6z8q4lOrDU[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    i'm so glad he lived!!!!!....that vid made me VERY ANGRY at how chicken **** the LEO was......i hope he lost his job and is being sued .......

Today it is common knowledge that one doesn't get out of a vehicle without the officer asking you to do so. The older guy got out of his truck and reached for his cane in the truck bed. I personally have never seen a person needing a cane do that. It's a tough call, but this LEO reacted based on what he believed was reasonable. I doubt he'll lose his job, or be held liable in a suit. The PD/City will most likely pay, due to bad press, to make this go away.

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    If I were in that officer's shoes, I don't know If I could go on being an officer. The old man doesn't seem angry in the video. I thought even heard him say "You had to do what you had to do", consoling the officer. I'm happy he survived! As far as blame, I have no business judging.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am still reeling from that. No, I would not have fired at that time. Nothing was leveled at the LEO and I feel he over reacted for whatever reason. Not judging just my opinion.

Are you alright.....Really, you just sprayed his area with rounds and now you are asking if he is "Alright".......That old man looked to be ZERO threat from the camera angle. If LEO saw something else I hope he can prove it. Sad for both.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Man, that was hard to watch. The cop took it hard as well once he realized what had happened. This will have a permanent impact on both the victim and the cop. I realize that many feel that the cop overreacted, but I can understand why he reacted the way that he did. It was a terrible mistake on both parts. Fortunately it wasn't a fatal mistake.

Top Bottom