• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    The only thing that I can think of is the law that says you can carry as long as you stay in your car if you are picking up or dropping off a kid. That law was put in place July of 2012.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow, someone is really confused on what the actual law is.

Well, actually, I saw at least 3 school board members, a reporter, and whoever wrote the bulletin.

Why can't we see the actual bulletin, anyway?
    Ah, it looks like you have to ORDER this service, at a cost:
    Indiana School Board Association

Sounds like they are just paying for bad advice. The should join INGO. We'll set them straight.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    thanks that worked and its exactly as i stated in the other thread.
    the school can NOT technically have a policy that bans firearms since they are a local .gov entity.
    however the state has a state law that bans firearms on schools.
    their concern is valid

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The law regarding who can carry at a school, I.C. 35-47-9-1, was amended effective July 1, 2013.

It used to have very confusing language about who could authorize who to carry at a school. It's quite clear now.

The law essentially bans all carrying except "resource officers" and law enforcement, except who the school board wants to authorize to carry. In other words, it can have a policy.

I don't know what Portage's problem is.....other than all the problems it has.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    its very simple.
    the school board has a current policy that says no firearms on school property.
    per the new premption law they are not allowed to have such policy since they (school board) can NOT ban firearms. so they need to remove their policy for 'fear' of being sued.

catch is no one can sue them since per stat law no one is allowed on school property (who can sue them) with a firearm.

do you see the legal mess they think they are in.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    No one can be "adversely affected" by a policy if the policy tracks other state law. They're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

And technically, yes, the school board cannot have a policy as to who cannot carry, though they can have a policy about who can carry.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    No one can be "adversely affected" by a policy if the policy tracks other state law. They're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

And technically, yes, the school board cannot have a policy as to who cannot carry, though they can have a policy about who can carry.

It's there j.o.b. to make this more complicated. That way they can show the people the reason they need those .gov jobs. :whistle:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My conjecture is that they believe the amended statute regarding who can carry somehow permits anyone from carrying unless the school has a policy.

However, this article is so confusing I am uncertain just what the issue is.

Top Bottom