• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Soooooo.....the wife and I were on our way to Rural King today,via SR26 ,through West Lafayette.(I don't know why I didn't take Granville Bridge to Lilly Road to Teal) Anyway, I was pulled over by WLPD. Waited patiently for the Officer to come up to the window, and inform us that we weren't wearing our seatbelts. ( yeah I know it's a good idea, but that's not the point here) I responded quizzically, "Farm trucks with farm plates?" The Officer cordially replied "motor vehicle on the roadway, you have to use your seatbelts". (the officer was both polite , and professional) So here is what I find in IC -

IC 9-19-10-1
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to an occupant of a motor vehicle who meets any of the following conditions:
    (1) For medical reasons should not wear safety belts, provided the occupant has written documentation of the medical reasons from a physician.
    (2) Is a child required to be restrained by a child restraint system under IC 9-19-11.
    (3) Is traveling in a commercial or a United States Postal Service vehicle that makes frequent stops for the purpose of pickup or delivery of goods or services.
    (4) Is a rural carrier of the United States Postal Service and is operating a vehicle while serving a rural postal route.
    (5) Is a newspaper motor route carrier or newspaper bundle hauler who stops to make deliveries from a vehicle.
    (6) Is a driver examiner designated and appointed under IC 9-14-2-3 and is conducting an examination of an applicant for a permit or license under IC 9-24-10.
    (7) Is an occupant of a farm truck being used on a farm in connection with agricultural pursuits that are usual and normal to the farming operation, as set forth in IC 9-29-5-13(b)(2).
    (8) Is an occupant of a motor vehicle participating in a parade.
    (9) Is an occupant of the living quarters area of a recreational vehicle.
    (10) Is an occupant of the treatment area of an ambulance (as defined in IC 16-18-2-13).
    (11) Is an occupant of the sleeping area of a tractor.
    (12) Is an occupant other than the operator of a vehicle described in IC 9-20-11-1(1).
    (13) Is an occupant other than the operator of a truck on a construction site.
    (14) Is a passenger other than the operator in a cab of a Class A recovery vehicle or a Class B recovery vehicle who is being transported in the cab because the motor vehicle of the passenger is being towed by the recovery vehicle.
    (15) Is an occupant other than the operator of a motor vehicle being used by a public utility in an emergency as set forth in IC 9-20-6-5.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7. Amended by P.L.67-2004, SEC.2;

My dually is an F350 Super Duty, with plates that say "Farm" across the top, and "11,000 " across the bottom.

IC 9-29-5-13
    Farm trucks, farm trailers, and farm semitrailers and tractors; registration fee
    Sec. 13. (a) This section does not apply to a vehicle or person exempt from registration under IC 9-18.
    (b) The registration fee for a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer and tractor operated primarily as a farm truck, farm trailer, or farm semitrailer and tractor:
    (1) having a declared gross weight of at least eleven thousand (11,000) pounds; and
    (2) used by the owner or guest occupant in connection with agricultural pursuits usual and normal to the user's farming operation;

is fifty percent (50%) of the amount listed in this chapter for a truck, trailer, or semitrailer and tractor of the same declared gross weight.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.17. Amended by P.L.210-2005, SEC.63; P.L.125-2012, SEC.316.

My pursuit, was purchasing scaffold for my shop ( for working on the combine and my grain trucks) , and a heater for said agricultural shop.
    Clearly, the Officers statement of " motor vehicle on a roadway" was incorrect, or there would not be 14 listed exemptions in the IC. Would I be whizzing in the wind, to present my line of thinking at a hearing? Or should I just pay the $25 (x2), and buckle up from now on? I rarely drive this truck, except for stuff related to the farm, and don't think to buckle up when in it. We always use our belts in the Wrangler or the Liberty. But for some reason, I never even think about it , when in the Dually.:dunno:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    being used on a farm in connection with agricultural pursuits
    You weren't on the farm. As far as I know that farm truck exemption on the roads was done away with a few years ago. That's why my truck has the cheaper car plates on it, there's no advantage.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    A trip to rural king isn't farm business conducted on the farm. Farm truck with farm plates irritates the crap out me when they are on city roads driving farm speeds impeding traffic.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Pay the ticket. Buckle up next time.

I can understand not wearing a belt if you are just cruising across the farm or from barn to barn but you were traveling quite a few miles on a highway and then into a busy town.

Buckle up for safety....Buckle up.

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I wear my seat belt, but I think its ridiulous that I am required to. It's no one elses business if I want to put my face through the windshield. You always here is for your safety, and it is, but my safety is not anyone elses concern. Just another tax.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    The farmers lost the fight a few years back... Sucks, but it is what it is.

While I dont agree with this particular law, its the law, so roll with it.

(By the way, 2k posts!)

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    I wear my seat belt, but I think its ridiulous that I am required to. It's no one elses business if I want to put my face through the windshield. You always here is for your safety, and it is, but my safety is not anyone elses concern. Just another tax.

Sorry-driving is considered a privilege and not a right-so subject to laws and rules of the road. Paramedics and police have to be paid to clean up a mess when a driver injures himself and/or others when not being properly restrained. Race car drivers use restraints for a reason-they work. I was hit from behind on I65-car rolled 3 times and landed on it's roof-I thank God I was wearing my seat belt/shoulder harness.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    REMOVE the seatbelts from your truck. You can't be cited for not wearing seatbelts if it's not equipped with belts that don't meet FMVSS 208 (49 CFR 571.208)

IC 9-19-10-2
    Use of safety belt by motor vehicle occupants; safety belt standards
    Sec. 2. Each occupant of a motor vehicle equipped with a safety belt that:

(1) meets the standards stated in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 208 (49 CFR 571.208); and
    (2) is standard equipment installed by the manufacturer;

shall have a safety belt properly fastened about the occupant's body at all times when the vehicle is in forward motion.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Sorry-driving is considered a privilege and not a right-so subject to laws and rules of the road. Paramedics and police have to be paid to clean up a mess when a driver injures himself and/or others when not being properly restrained. Race car drivers use restraints for a reason-they work. I was hit from behind on I65-car rolled 3 times and landed on it's roof-I thank God I was wearing my seat belt/shoulder harness.

I pay my taxes, hospital bills, insurance premiums (both medical and auto). Who is paying police and firemen to clean up a mess? If I have an accident and am injured more seriously due to not wearing a seatbelt it is me who would be paying those costs. Not you. Driving being a privilege is the reason we have to carry auto insurance. It has no bearing on use of safety devices in a vehicle. If you choose to wear your seatbelt that is your right. I consider it my right to choose whether I will or not. I would appreciate it if people stop trying to tell me how to live my LIFE. It is mine, leave me out of your life choices please.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    REMOVE the seatbelts from your truck. You can't be cited for not wearing seatbelts if it's not equipped with belts that don't meet FMVSS 208 (49 CFR 571.208)

IC 9-19-10-2
    Use of safety belt by motor vehicle occupants; safety belt standards
    Sec. 2. Each occupant of a motor vehicle equipped with a safety belt that:

(1) meets the standards stated in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 208 (49 CFR 571.208); and
    (2) is standard equipment installed by the manufacturer;

shall have a safety belt properly fastened about the occupant's body at all times when the vehicle is in forward motion.

Won't work. The cop will still ticket you.
    Seat belts are standard equipment on all modern cars and trucks. Removing them won't save your butt from a ticket.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Won't work. The cop will still ticket you.
    Seat belts are standard equipment on all modern cars and trucks. Removing them won't save your butt from a ticket.

I believe they became mandatory in 1968, anything before then is safe for no seatbelts.

So either buy a old ass car orr put on the belt... Or just keep paying fines.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I agree with you on this, but I bet the insurance companies would have an exemption to not paying either if you or I went threw a window.

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana

images.jpg

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County

So please explain the 14 exemptions. Or why motorcycles are allowed on the road at all.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

There are a couple of problems with this. First, in the event of a collision, the only reason the .gov entities are responsible for clean-up is one of efficiency. Second, it is the collision that needs cleaned-up. And the collision is an occurrence than happens independent of the wearing of a seatbelt. So, there is still clean-up required even if all parties were wearing a seat belt.

Third, there is no moral or legal obligation for the .gov entity to be responsible for medical treatment/first aid care in the event of a collision on the roadways. It has become a societal standard, but aside from that, can you offer a reason why it needs to be that way? Furthermore, can you offer a reason why the taxpayers needs to be responsible for footing the bill? Debtors used to be responsible for paying for their keep (which I found incredibly ironic). Why shouldn't citizens be responsible for their usage of emergency response services?

And on the issue that driving is a privilege, what makes it so?

Top Bottom