• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We are thinking of trying to get Internet service out here in the boonies. Now that the leaves are off the trees, I can get spotty 4G service for the iPhone. But it's frustrating. We cannot get DSL or cable out here. The best I can tell, the only viable options are satellite service (Hughes or Wild Blue) or maybe NetSurf wifi (if we're in range).

The biggest problem with cell and satellite services that I can see is their modest data usage limits. According to NetSurf's site, they have not data limit but their advertised speeds are not as fast as the satellite systems.

Am I overlooking something? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've never seen/touched a satellite system that I didn't HATE. YMMV.

Edit: should have said why -- latency. Satellite blows.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My brother had Wild Blue and was never happy. I've seen nothing but complaints for them and Hughes Net. He has a wifi hookup now, (don't know who it's through) and he's been very happy with the speed and service. If you can go that route I'd suggest it.

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    I used satellite internet in central Quebec a few months back. Every time i needed to look something up on the internet i wanted to stab my eyes and smash the computer. I dont remember dial up being that slow... 3g cell phone service would be faster. Some carriers now offer a Jetpacks with unlimited 3g service now, i would definitely use that before satellite.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    We don't have DSL or Cable where I live either. I get my internet service from a wireless internet provider pdswireless.com which comes from a tower about 1.5 miles away. I get speed similar to DSL. Maybe you have a similar service in your area.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We don't have DSL or Cable where I live either. I get my internet service from a wireless internet provider pdswireless.com which comes from a tower about 1.5 miles away. I get speed similar to DSL. Maybe you have a similar service in your area.

Looks like their service doesn't come down this far. They appear to be similar to NetSurf which is what I see available around here:

NetsurfUSA.net Wireless Internet

The previous comments pretty much echo what I've heard about satellite service so I was leaning towards the wifi system. Do you find their speeds are close to what they advertise? Are you happy with them?

I've got a feeling I'll be stuck with satellite though.

Thanks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My best friend has Satellite Internet Service - High Speed Broadband | Exede Official Site it does have the latency issue but unless you are gaming you can live with it. And the speeds are pretty fast, I have seen 19k dn on his wifi but have yet to test it and come in under 12k.

Good to hear a half-way positive report of a satellite service. I got a flyer from this outfit a week or two ago. IIRC I saw something in the fine print on that flyer where they're affiated with Hughes. Maybe they're just leasing some bandwidth off Hughes' satellites.

Last edited:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer but I gotta say that part of me is kinda jealous. Having a home rural enough for this to be an issue is a problem I'd like to have. Enjoy the scenery while you figure it out! :yesway::ingo:

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Looks like their service doesn't come down this far. They appear to be similar to NetSurf which is what I see available around here:

NetsurfUSA.net Wireless Internet

The previous comments pretty much echo what I've heard about satellite service so I was leaning towards the wifi system. Do you find their speeds are close to what they advertise? Are you happy with them?

I've got a feeling I'll be stuck with satellite though.

Thanks.

Considering my limited choices, the 900 MHZ wireless service gives me 1.5 down and 250K up. I can view netflix fairly well. I pay $40/month with 80 GB limit which seems to be more than enough.

I would see if you could try their service out and get your money back if you are not satisfied.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    Been with Hughes net for over 10 years, would I rather have DSL, sure, but like you I live in an area that barley has phone service. Most of the time it does well, much better than dial up. Can't stream large movies etc. without going over the fair access policy (FAP), other than that its been pretty fast.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    yeah, pretty limited to satellite and repeater systems. my dad has had both, IMO the repeater is the way to go.

i think his is subsidized in some way. ill ask him on it next time we talk.

LowerSW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Lower Southwest Indiana
    I have had wildblue for the last 5 years. I will admit that the speed was super slow and the data limits were terrible. However, at the beginning of the year I switched over to their newer satellite and the speed is really nice. In fact if I download a video on youtube I do not get any lag.
    Bad point is the data packages are still pricey. Good point is that they now offer free download between the hours of midnight and 5AM. Perfect for my teenagers.
    Then again I remember when all there was was dial up.

Last edited:

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I was one Hughesnet for two years. I really didn't have any complaints other than I had to be careful becauseof FAP.

I switched to NETSURFUSA about six months ago. A third the cost and faster speeds, although I could watch youtube on both systems.

You can purchase a yearly contract or month to month ($10 more/month) with NETSURF. I recommend you let them do a survey and if you get a signal, try it for a couple of months.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Just a thought. Depends on where you are and what is available but while stuck in KS at the moment I have WONDERFUL wireless service. I am five miles from the "mound" where a tower streams service (requiring line of sight) that is incredible! No expert here but they described the service as running both horizontal and vertical, rather than just one or the other.

I can stream movies or whatever and it is faster than many folks' cable service. They told me they added equipment to reach my distance and think they can go farther but at the time didn't have any others asking for it. Supposedly as long as you can get the line of sight by either a tower at your place or clearing the path, they can reach farther with this equipment.

No problems with wind, rain, snow or bad weather. Just great INGO!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have no recomendations, but if you have Bridgemax in your area avoid them like the plague.

Once they blocked a bunch of sites from me that were "to risky" all internet forums were blocked as well as social networks and gaming. I spend 2 hours on the phone before they said "we will get back with you in 3 days to see if we can fix the problem" I got a little red and said "In 3 hours I have a new internet service provider". Finally got 2 levels up and they fixed in in 30 seconds

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I can't get line of sight, and my cell signal sucks. Stuck with Hughs Net. It does OK. Most days I can watch a youtube video, but of course, that eats up my daily download allotment. It works fine for getting on INGO,checking the weather,looking at the markets,and reading news.

Top Bottom