• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Buttercup, our 7 year old Golden Retriever is dying. The vet says it looks like lymphoma.
    She hasn't eaten in about a week and has very little energy. It looks like she won't be
    able to walk soon. It's hard to tell if she's in pain, but she doesn't wag her tail
    anymore. She tries to be near us and still likes to be petted. My daughter Lauren
    (pictured below after learning about Buttercup's condition) says the dog is still telling
    her that she loves her by placing her paw on her.

It's tougher than I thought something like this would be. In a way it's nice to be able to
    say goodbye, but it looks like soon she'll be making messes (she's a house dog) and be in
    pain. I just have to decide when to have her put down.

It's a struggle trying to figure how to take care of all this
    and hurt my girl as little as possible.

picture.php

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    as hard as it is, you will know when it is time.

I am sorry. It's 3 years ago this month we had to do the same for the same reason with our Honey. There isn't a day goes by I don't miss her.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    sorry to hear it. gotta be a tough situation that I too will have to deal with in the near future with ours. Hang in there bro.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    as hard as it is, you will know when it is time.

I am sorry. It's 3 years ago this month we had to do the same for the same reason with our Honey. There isn't a day goes by I don't miss her.

Thanks.
    That's about what another "dog person" at my wife's work told her, "you'll know when it's time."
    It's hard for me to see my daughter so upset. It's really breaking her heart.

picture.php

"Butter" this evening (10/01/2012) - not feeling well

Last edited:

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Sorry you have to go through this, for some of us, it is as bad as losing a human family member. :(

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Sorry you have to go through this, for some of us, it is as bad as losing a human family member. :(
    +1

You will notice the dog suddenly become full of energy like a puppy and want to play then she will be gone in a matter of days. Thats how it usually goes with cancer.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    :( Sorry to hear it. My family has owned many Goldens. Great dogs but they don't live very long unfortunately. Best wishes

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I had to go thru the same wrenching decision this past January. Very tough decision but I've seen what humans go thru when this disease hits and I couldn't put my yellow lab thru it. She was a pound puppy and the greatest dog I'd ever had. Be strong for your friend and family.

s&wluvr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    LaPorte/Michigan City area
    I put my Golden Retriever, Maggie, down about 4 years ago. It was one of the hardest things that I have ever gone through. I now have 2 rescue Goldens, the oldest being about 10 years old, and he is beginning to show the "signs". Cancer is a major killer and reason for a Golden Retriever's short life. Seems to be pretty normal. And they are such wonderful companions. My heart goes out to you.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm truly sorry for your impending loss. We've had five cats die of one thing or another over the years, including two in one week. It's never an easy thing to lose a family member; especially one who loves so unconditionally. God Bless you and her.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I love golden retrievers. I have had 2 goldens. One died in december 2009. The other is still alive. I loved my first till the end. :(

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I'm sorry to hear about this. It's so hard to lose a friend like that. It sounds as though Buttercup is lucky to have a family like yours. As others have said, I think you'll know when it's time.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I am so sorry to hear your news, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Letting go is never easy. My usual pet death routine is to sing Amazing Grace to the animal before and after passing. I also find comfort in reading Psalms 23 to the pet before and after passing as well. I do this whenever I need comfort or help dealing with the impending loss. I think the singing helps comfort the animal as well.

Here's a thought from Billy Graham regarding being reunited with our beloved pets.

BGEA: Will there be animals in heaven?

My intent is to offer comfort, not to offend anyone. Please disregard this link if you find it or the subject matter offensive.

Top Bottom