• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Edit: Dang pre-verts, I mean transmission, not a TV!!!

Soliciting opinions on a sticky situation we're in. All input welcome!

We own (outright) a Honda van. It has 200K+ miles on it. This weekend, while out of town, the transmission gave up the ghost. Unfortunately, the van is at a shop 100+ miles from our home. The van is well past it's useful life to us and we are going to buy a new one, but have no idea how to liquidate the old one.

We've heard everything from: donate it and take a deduction, try to sell it to Carmax, try to sell it via Craigslist (or INGO!) or try to get some trade in value.

Problem is, since it doesn't run and towing it all over the place isn't a convenient option. And I can't imagine a dealer giving me a dime for it.

If I have more property, I would part it out, but don't think my neighbors would like that. :D

Any ideas on the best (for me) thing to do in this scenario are appreciated!

Last edited:

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I would buy a beater to hold you over. Then wait for one of those drag it, tow it, push it, pull it trade in deals and trade it in.

Or part it, sell it for scrap metal and buy something new.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A transmission job in a used up vehicle is not cost effective. Like you said, it is not a big priority for you. Mail the title to the repair shop and let him junk, part out, or otherwise dispose of the van to offset the towing and diagnostic charges.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had an employee of mine break down in Muncie a couple years ago (Head gasket blew). He got a ride back to Indy with another co-worker and posted the car for sale in the Muncie craigslist for a steal. It was sold in 3 days.

I know it sucks, but you are gonna be out lots of dough either way if you get it fixed or have to tow it home. Eat the losses and just sell it where it sits. Lower the asking price by as much as the cost of the tow to make it an easy sell. It's a whole lot less work that way.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    some scrap yards will pick it up for free if you sell it to them... mainly because they only pay a hundred or 2 per ton and sell a couple of parts for that much and the rest is gravy.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I know it sucks, but you are gonna be out lots of dough either way if you get it fixed or have to tow it home. Eat the losses and just sell it where it sits. Lower the asking price by as much as the cost of the tow to make it an easy sell. It's a whole lot less work that way.

Yeah, no way are we fixing it. I already told the guy to just park it on his lot and I will be there in a couple of days.

The happy part is I can get a U-Haul car trailer for about $100 and a relative will tow it anywhere I want it. But I see your point!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Hey, maybe someone wants to buy this for "tactical training"?

Low price, put it on your land and shoot the crap out of it! ;)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    55c1b203-c447-434b-8346-e006afb36606.jpg

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Oh, OK. Watching TV while driving is probably a bad idea anyway. Not sure how distracting that other "TV" thing you're talking about is :dunno:
    What cave have you been living in? :D Im giving you rep just for...well...being YOU! :laugh:

If the tranny already started stinking...that smell is going to be on the inside of that Honda forever! Oh wait....Im going down the wrong road here....

The Front Wheel Drive Honda transmissions are not cheap to rebuild. You are looking at an average bill of 1500-2000 for rebuild, parts, remove and replace. Not worth it from what you are saying about the Honda...cut your losses one way or another. Sell it just like the others mentioned. Junkyard, craigslist, wherever...thats $$$ in your pocket, Instead of dishing out $$ to get it fixed just for the motor to lockup in 4 months or ? and then you are right back withouth the vehicle.

Top Bottom