How would you have handled the situation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    My daughter and I were down in Louisville today visiting my 92 year old Dad. We went out to eat at a place called "The Kitchen". We had ordered when a couple and their 5 year old daughter came in and sat directly to my left. There was a divider between the two tables about shoulder height. The man sat on the opposite side of his table as myself and proceeded to whistle through his whole meal. I thought once his food came he would quit whistling so he could eat, but it didn't stop. It wasn't a song, but it wasn't just a single note whistle either.

How would you have handled the situation? If I had said something to the waitress, he would have heard me complain. I couldn't even say anything to my family about the whistling because I think he would have over heard our conversation.

I know some of you are probably saying good, he should hear that he is disturbing other customers. If it is a tick or some disorder I didn't want to embarrass him and if he was just being a jerk I didn't want to cause a scene in front of his child and my family. I'm not very confrontational when it comes to minor things.

So I'm looking for ideas on how to handle a irritation like this without causing a big scene. Thought?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I would have flipped out and caused a huge scene before setting the place on fire or maybe just tried my best to not let it bother me.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    "Ma'am/Sir, could you please seat us at a different table? We don't like this one. Your service isn't the problem, so seat us in your section if you have one a good distance away from here."

If he/she asks why, I would say that I'm not a fan of whistling and I couldn't give a **** less if the whistler heard me, but would just ask to sit somewhere else first to avoid a confrontation from the a-hole/guy with a "condition."

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    When I hear whisling, it makes me want to sing.

People talking on cell phones and those star trek ear phone things make me whistle.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Perhaps that's the only way to keep their kid calm. If I could whistle and keep our boys behaving and not screaming, I would GLADLY do that in a resteraunt....but now we can't east out with them. LOL

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    You could've ordered a big ol bowl of chili and asked the waitress politely to "get it here pronto" and then proceed to attempt to muffle his whistling with your very own "butt whistle". :D

Vulgar trumps rudeness every time! :rockwoot:

Now that plan deserves rep!

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    When I hear whisling, it makes me want to sing.

People talking on cell phones and those star trek ear phone things make me whistle.
    you know whats great is when they're talking, yet you dont quite know if they're talking at you or to the person on the other end of the bluetooth. makes for AWESOME interactions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ask to be moved or just leave. If something irritates you that badly then let it go and move on. My wife and I have had near the same situation in restaurants and movies with folks letting kids run amok, talking at the top of their lungs and so on. Never a whistler.
    I might have said something to him as I walked to the poddy room like nice tune. You are a bit off key, could you please keep it down. Condition or not he could do something about it. Never heard of a whistler syndrome. Just rude.

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin

My wife and i make a game out of spotting these cyborgs!

You could have avoided looking his way and started whistling yourself to see how long it would take him to notice. People tend to annoy me, so i try to use it to entertain myself.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Of COURSE they should have asked to be seated farther away...it was next to a fricken FIVE YEAR OLD GIRL, people!!!
    How did you all miss that??

Top Bottom