Taking a motorcycle class. First time riding.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    *UPDATE* Finished the class. Jump to the post where I talk about it. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...le_class_first_time_riding-3.html#post3177655

Earlier this year, I signed up to take a motorcycle class. Its coming up the first weekend in August.

I've never rode a motorcycle before, and just like owning a gun, I never thought I would want to ride a bike. But something changed in me this year, and now own 3 guns, want to learn how to ride a motorcycle. And another think I want, that I thought I never would want, is a tattoo.

I'm about this as a learning experience. To see if I want to buy a motorcycle, and start riding. But lets say I love it, and must own a motorcycle. What would you recommend starting to look at?

I don't know a whole lot about them. But love the bobber style. Growing up, I always thought that if I had a motorcycle, I'd get a crotch rocket. Not I don't think so.

Another consideration, and the reason I'm only doing the training right now, and not jumping on buying a bike, is that I want to make sure I can ride it first, without any problems. About 6 months ago I bad back surgery. So just need to make sure riding one, doesn't put me in an awkward slumped over position.

Am I crazy for wanting to start riding a bike now? Anything a starter should look into getting. I don't need the biggest, baddest, loudest one. And I'm only really thinking I would just make short local trips with it at most, starting out.

Last edited:

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    If you have back problems the obviously stay away from hard tails! I miss riding just about everyday! Sold my bike when my wife mentioned wanting kids. I will have another one some day! Taking courses to learn to rider properly and get comfortable is a smart move, regardless of whatever heckling you may get from others! There's not much more freeing than just hoping on and taking off through the country side for a day or two!

Just remember there are two types of riders! Those that have went down, and those that are going to go down! I'm in the first group :cool:.

I started off on a crotch rocket, it was a blast. Hard to ride for more than a couple hours without the hind end and back getting sore. Scary fast and nimble! Next bike will be a big cruiser just shy of a lazy boy on wheels! Good luck and be safe, ride within your comfort level always!

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    Dont buy a bike...

Once you do, you will hate normal vehicles. The feeling when on a bike is just incredible. First thing i remember that really stood out to me is the smells. Its just nothing but fresh air all the time :D

If you like the sport bike look and despise the seating position, i used to own a 2003 Kawi ZX-9R and it was incredibly comfortable. Unfortunately i cant speak for fullmetal bikes, bust just thought id throw that out there :)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Taking the classes is great! You'll learn the basics quick and get some good advice along the way.
    I started out on dirt bikes about 50 years ago and got an appreciation of the aches and pains associated with bikes quick.
    I taught all 3 of my boys on dirt bikes and half a dozen gals wanting to get into riding too.
    I too belong in the first group of those that have gone down. I even have the "Biker's Limp" as I've tasted plenty of concrete, asphalt, dirt, mud, and gravel in my adventures.
    Nothing like riding though for a good cleansing of the daily grind.
    I've owned and ridden about every brand of bike made. I ride an old '96 HD now for my daily rider but have enjoyed everything from Motto Guzzi, BMW, Goldwings, Z1R, H2 Kaws, Triumphs, BSA, Norton, 750 Honda K/F, Yamaha TwinJet 100, and my old childhood friends of 106 and 124 Sears dirt bikes.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Smart move taking classes before making the jump.

Ive been riding since I was 5, restoring and working on bikes since I was about 10. Now its what I do for a living.

Might I ask what class you are taking? ABATE is by far the best out there. So if thats the one then great choice!

If you want somthing sport styled but very neutral in the saddle then I will suggest somthing along the line of the Kawasaki Ninja 650.

2013 Ninja® 650 Sport - Kawasaki.com

Or the Yamaha FZ6

2012 Yamaha FZ6R Home, information

Both are big enough to be a good commuter w/o being over powered for a beginner rider and offer a comfortable neutral riding position.

Have fun out there, and welcome to the wonderfull world of motorcycles!

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    And I assume, went down, and going to go down, means wreaking the bike? Its the one thing thats really kept me away for so long. But I think with my recient back surgery, I'm starting to think in a way, that I cannot live life being scared of stuff.

Everybody I talk to is opposed to me taking the course, and riding a bike. Some people think I'm crazy with my back problems. And some people fear me getting into an accident. My dad used to have a HD Low Rider before I was born, and he's opposed of my riding too. But I'm getting tired of everybody who thinks they know better than me.

I've got all my equipment ready for the weekend. My gloves, long-sleaved shirt, jeans, and over-ankle boots. Am I forgetting anything? Sunglasses? Guessing they provide helmets? I have a helmet that I used for autocross. Its a Snell 2001, I believe, full face, motorcycle helmet.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    And I have grown up since I was 7 riding a Honda 70 four-wheeler. And then grew up using my dads Honda 350 after I outgrew the 70. So I already have a sense of what it would be like. Only these fourwheelers never had a clutch. You just let off the gas, and shifted.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    And I assume, went down, and going to go down, means wreaking the bike? Its the one thing thats really kept me away for so long. But I think with my recient back surgery, I'm starting to think in a way, that I cannot live life being scared of stuff.

Everybody I talk to is opposed to me taking the course, and riding a bike. Some people think I'm crazy with my back problems. And some people fear me getting into an accident. My dad used to have a HD Low Rider before I was born, and he's opposed of my riding too. But I'm getting tired of everybody who thinks they know better than me.

I've got all my equipment ready for the weekend. My gloves, long-sleaved shirt, jeans, and over-ankle boots. Am I forgetting anything? Sunglasses? Guessing they provide helmets? I have a helmet that I used for autocross. Its a Snell 2001, I believe, full face, motorcycle helmet.
    I've had 4 back surgeries since '80 and some seats can give me a sore back after a short ride but I've found what fits me and I can ride the majority of the day now IF needed or wanted.
    I am a firm believer in good protective clothing. I wear chaps, a good jacket, goggles, gloves, and even a helmet at times(I hate them but they have their use too).
    You don't want the road rash due to jeans and long sleeve shirts not protecting you.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've had some severe sciatic nerve issues, and was hardly able to walk for a while, nevermind ride. I know a guy in a similar situation that had side wheels, so he could ride without having to get his back in it. All I have is a 150 scooter, but, yes indeed, I laid it down. Found out the front tire wasn't holding air, so it wouldn't turn properly. Did more damage to the cell phone than the bike; I was able to sand that down and paint it. You could never tell.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Just remember there are two types of riders! Those that have went down, and those that are going to go down! I'm in the first group :cool:.

Took the Basic MSF class in 2008, got my M endorsement a few months later. Still don't own a bike. Ridden a 2010 Victory Vegas and Kingpin, 2001 HD 883 Sportster, 2006 1200 Sportster and a Kawasaki KLR 650. I laid the 1200 down. Luckily I only did 30 dollars in damage and kept on riding.

Dont buy a bike...

Once you do, you will hate normal vehicles. The feeling when on a bike is just incredible. First thing i remember that really stood out to me is the smells. Its just nothing but fresh air all the time :D

I have wanted a bike since i first rode the 1200 on the street. I am hoping sometime in the next few years I can afford one.

And I assume, went down, and going to go down, means wreaking the bike?

Went down, going down means wrecking yes. The class I went to, they provided the helmets.

I will say, when you do get a bike, Ride safe. That means some kind of protective pants (mesh overs for summer). If you want to wear short sleeve shirt, get a mesh jacket. Usually mesh stuff have liners that make it water proof. Also, wear bright colors. Be seen because cars cannot hear you (even with loud pipes).

You want your protective gear to look like this (random google image)
    DSC01763-1.jpg

You don't want your body to look like that. The one time I laid a friends bike down, I was wearing a jacket, helmet, gloves, boots, and long pants (jeans). My knee was skinned up, but thankfully it was a low speed lay down and the bike was laid down in grass. I am thankful that was all that happened.

I am not trying to scare you, but it isn't always you that you need to watch, it is all the other cars that can't see motorcycles. I love riding, but people scare the ever living crap out of me when I do.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Earlier this year, I signed up to take a motorcycle class. Its coming up the first weekend in August.

-Snip-

Am I crazy for wanting to start riding a bike now? Anything a starter should look into getting. I don't need the biggest, baddest, loudest one. And I'm only really thinking I would just make short local trips with it at most, starting out.

No, you're not crazy.
    I took the ABATE riding course at age 36 after getting my first motorcycle at age 34. (a 1984 Honda V65 Magna)

I'm 56 and still riding.
    You can see what I ride in my avatar, a 2008 Yamaha FJR 1300.
    A bike good for across town OR across the country.

Go for it!

Just make sure to wear protective gear.
    Don't be like so many idiots you see who ride dressed like their vying for a Darwin Award. :laugh:

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    any shame in looking into the Can-Am Spiders? Anyone ride one of those?

I've always thought that if fourwheelers became street legal, I'd get one.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Shame? I guess it depends on what you like? Personally, I like two wheels only. The lean while going into curves is something I love. Doubt you get that in anything with more then two wheels.

86491honda_hoot_heed.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGzKjfI8Tio[/ame]

piper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Very good move with the class. I have been riding all my life and took the abate course when I was 15 along with other on/off road safety courses. Riding brings on one of the best feelings I have ever had, and comes in at a close second as my favorite thing to do behind jumping out of aircraft.

Ryano23_98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    peru / kokomo
    Take it from me wear your gear even on short trips , a car hit me 2 block from my house as I rode up to PO. I put a helmet on and it saved my life . But did have brain swelling I lost parts of my memory and spelling as broken back hip leg , watch every car as if its not going to stop . Took 10 years for me to get back on one .

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I just took the ABATE class the first weekend in July. It was HOT! But we all made it and passed.
    My bike is a 1983 KZ440. It's almost as old as me and still runs like a champ. I spent most of the winter and spring working on it and getting it ready for riding. There's just something cool and simple about these old bikes that I just love. And once you learn to work on your own bike, it becomes a part of you.
    A fellow INGO member actually took the time to give me pointers and advice getting the bike running so well. There's nothing better than talking guns while working in the garage.
    So as great as new bikes are, don't overlook an older one.
    Good luck and ride safe!

dobeluvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    In 1983, I bought a 1982 kz650csr while living on ship. Since I had to take it on base to park, it was mandatory that I attend a safety course. I thought it would suck, but it was informative and I learned alot. In 1984, I bought my first harley and haven't looked back. Fast forward to 3 years ago and my wife wanted to learn to ride. First thing she had to do was take the Abate safety course. I recommend highly the Abate class as well as continued membership.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I took the ABATE course last year after very minimal time on any kind of two wheeler (scooters, mopeds, mini-bikes). The only complaint I have is that I wish they had a bit better section on actually riding versus maneuvering. It took me quite a bit of time to work myself up to riding more than a short distance after I bought my bike earlier this year (from an INGOer without knowing it until afterwords) because I could maneuver in a parking lot like nobody's business, but didn't have any practical experience driving the darn thing.

The course is great otherwise.

As far as a helmet, go buy your own. Depending on where you signed up at, they may not have helmets available, or the ones they have may not fit you. Plus, you don't know how many other students have had to wear that helmet. Buy one you'll be comfortable riding with when you start riding.

Keep the shiny side up.

Top Bottom