• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    This may well top the list of "Jobs you will NEVER see shooter521 doing". I am WAY better about my fear of heights than I used to be, but free-climbing 1700+ feet in the air on a little metal ladder? Bag that.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    That video was used as part of a tower safety presentation at our ham radio club meeting tuesday evening. I have done a lot of tower climbing as did the person making the presentation. he is certified and a tower safety/rescue instructor. As he said on tuesday. Those guys are nuts. at least borderline suicidal. They are not in any way following OSHA rules. OSHA requires you to be tied in for any work over 6 feet off the ground. We use double pelican hooks. Most newer towers have safety cable running up them now. you can fasten on a cable grip and not have to hook pelican hooks every few feet. If you are going to climb, DO NOT follow their example.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I have free climbed over 200' on a self supporting tower.
    I also free climbed a 40' tower that was on top of a 12 story building.

I don't do things like that anymore......

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    yeah...... I can feel my "Boys" shriveling up inside me as I watch that video.

I've climbed as high as 40 feet free handed and belted off as high as 60 feet but if the wind's a tossin, I'm GTFO of there.

Yeah..... every time he looked down I just kept thinking, only if I'm wearing a basejumping chute and the toolbag has a quickrelease..... oh and probably not even then.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    this is a pic of a guy i know installing an antenna on the Empire State Bldg. They had him change a light bulb while he was up there.

picture.php

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    this is a pic of a guy i know installing an antenna on the Empire State Bldg. They had him change a light bulb while he was up there.

picture.php

Holy :poop: great pic!! thanks for posting!!

Those guys have brass ones. Would I even consider this? - No

Pfft... I'm pretty sure brass ones would compress under that kind of pressure, these guys are definitely danglin titanium.

That 's for the birds.

Hah... literally..... also, you should just type out the word because I got an infraction once for putting an S and like 3 random symbols behind it instead of letting the filter "do it's job".

dang gave me butterflies watchin it Im not too great with heights

Ungh, yeah I'm not BAD with heights so long as I'm secure, but watching that guy freeclimb at 1700+ feet made my "boys" feel like they WERE the butterflies in my stomach.....

Looks like fun to me!!

Hmmm, I'll buy your lunch to come free climb this tower I know about.... it's only about 240 feet and I'll provide you with a liability waiver I'll film the whole thing.... from the ground.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Hmmm, I'll buy your lunch to come free climb this tower I know about.... it's only about 240 feet and I'll provide you with a liability waiver I'll film the whole thing.... from the ground.

I'll take the challenge, no lunch required, all you have to do is lay the tower on it's side and secure it first.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY

picture.php
    I believe I've seen this picture before. Small world.
    I'm ok with heights to a degree and I wouldn't do this if you gave me a million dollars. And I mean that literally.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I believe I've seen this picture before. Small world.

Company in Newburgh called ERI. They are known world wide for their antennas. Pic was in Newsweek a few yeas ago, I think.

Neat side note: the company was hired to replace the old antenna/zepplin mooring mast on the Empire St Bldg and no one asked them for the original one back. It sat for years in their warehouse.

Top Bottom