• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    https://www.ibj.com/articles/holcom...utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=2020-08-18

...Gov. Eric Holcomb on Tuesday announced plans to equip Indiana State Police troopers with body cameras by next spring and create a new cabinet-level position in his administration to focus on equity and inclusion.

The announcement comes more than two months after Holcomb said he believed the state needed to take action to address racial inequality and injustice. Holcomb said he has been talking to Black business owners, church leaders, college presidents and law enforcement officials since then to better understand what changes needed to be made.

He said he was told to think about the big picture and get at the root cause of inequity instead of only reacting to the symptoms.

“While we have made progress—and we have—we haven’t rooted it out fast enough,” Holcomb said. “Gaps persist and some are widening.”

The body cameras—which racial justice advocates have been pushing for—are expected to cost the state $5 million to purchase and $1 million annually for data management. The cameras are expected to be phased in and fully implemented by spring 2021.

Holcomb also said he’s ordering a third-party review of all training practices and curriculum at the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy, which provides the basic training for the majority of law enforcement officers across the state.

The new chief equity, inclusion and opportunity officer for the state will be responsible for identifying shortcomings in administration and finding ways to fix those gaps. This person will report directly to Holcomb and will also serve as an ambassador to minority communities so residents are more aware of the existing available resources from the state...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Great. Let's get black folk on the same upward career path that almost everyone else in America is on.

Hint: Running faster, trying harder or throwing more money at it doesn't change a thing. You can't legislate exceptionalism.

tumblr_ox0jfa7LRU1rpduwho1_400.gifv

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    OK, I hear the feelz about what the Governor said...

...now, as to what he specifically advocated, thoughts?

Do we have a problem with body cams now...I can link to a thread about "the trooper will get off because his is the only story"...maybe a few.

Besides that, what are the issues.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    DE&I cabinet level position.

Do we have a problem with body cams now...I can link to a thread about "the trooper will get off because his is the only story"...maybe a few.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I do NOT believe in defunding police but I also believe the state and feds have far to much power. I really believe in small governments, people defending themselves. This whole topic , I definitely have mixed feelings on. It was never the duty of a officer to protect me, for one there are not enough of them to defend the people nor do I want the tax burden of paying for that many. Alot of people may say this is crazy but I believe the infringement on our inalienable rights is criminal in itself. They unlawfully decided criminals can't have firearms but believe it or not I disagree because they violated law doing so.. if they want to say a felon or whatever cant protect themselves then they should have followed the to accomplish that. Our constitution has provisions for them to do exactly that but instead of honoring and upholding the constitution, they dishonored it . Now I'm not saying I support violent criminals , wife/child abusers walking around armed but i am saying there is a provision in the constitution to make those things illegal and it has been used before to amend the constitution and it should have been used to amend it again if they want to strip inalienable rights from people. U can probably tell im a constitutionalists with some libertarian leanings lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I think they should of already had the body cams, they would help verify what happened. To me they help provide protection to LEO and the public.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I think they should of already had the body cams, they would help verify what happened. To me they help provide protection to LEO and the public.
    I dont know how I feel about that.. body cams only show 1 perspective and video can to easily be edited.. maybe if there was somehow 360° viewpoint that was automatically streamed to public servers like YouTube ( not necessarily YouTube i just used that as a example) there has to be some means to ensure the integrity of the video. We see it on the news all the time where sound or video is edited to spin a desired view.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I dont know how I feel about that.. body cams only show 1 perspective and video can to easily be edited.. maybe if there was somehow 360° viewpoint that was automatically streamed to public servers like YouTube ( not necessarily YouTube i just used that as a example) there has to be some means to ensure the integrity of the video. We see it on the news all the time where sound or video is edited to spin a desired view.

I haven't seen an instance of body camera footage being altered.

I have seen many cases that got either the perp or the cop in trouble, and was published to the public.

If it was reasonably feasible to get away with, the george floyd footage absolutely would have been edited, lol.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

How many false reports against the Police are happening, would footage of the interaction help provide some info?
    How many times have there been a police shooting that people had questions about, would releasing video of it help? Good or bad I think it provides evidence in a he said, she said situation.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I haven't seen an instance of body camera footage being altered.

I have seen many cases that got either the perp or the cop in trouble, and was published to the public.

If it was reasonably feasible to get away with, the george floyd footage absolutely would have been edited, lol.
    Admittedly neither have I but there is the likelihood we may not know if it were and there is also the reality it will eventually happen. We have seen just about every other type of digital manipulation, to use a worn out axiom, just because we cannot see the wind does not mean it isn't there. All I'm saying, without proper oversight of just about anything digital, there is no way to reasonably be certain of its authenticity.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    How many false reports against the Police are happening, would footage of the interaction help provide some info?
    How many times have there been a police shooting that people had questions about, would releasing video of it help? Good or bad I think it provides evidence in a he said, she said situation.
    I'm not so much against video, I just think this really need thought out well and some sort of system that ensures the whole story is told and that it has not been tampered with... the same reasons many of us are against this mail in vote scheme. It is ripe for abuse

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Admittedly neither have I but there is the likelihood we may not know if it were and there is also the reality it will eventually happen. We have seen just about every other type of digital manipulation, to use a worn out axiom, just because we cannot see the wind does not mean it isn't there. All I'm saying, without proper oversight of just about anything digital, there is no way to reasonably be certain of its authenticity.

Body camera footage is not handled at all like comercial footage. Axon marks every person who accesses any server copy, all edits including blurs are tagged and flagged, and the original video is permanently preserved without alteration. All edits are done off of a "working copy". Its not like doing a cell phone dump.

Axon and L3 are the only services I have direct experience with.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Body camera footage is not handled at all like comercial footage. Axon marks every person who accesses any server copy, all edits including blurs are tagged and flagged, and the original video is permanently preserved without alteration. All edits are done off of a "working copy". Its not like doing a cell phone dump.

Axon and L3 are the only services I have direct experience with.
    Is that like the fox watching the hen house? I'm asking genuinely because I don't know. I do know I have been in ethical hacking over 20 years and know there is no such thing as digital security for motivated persons

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Is that like the fox watching the hen house? I'm asking genuinely because I don't know. I do know I have been in ethical hacking over 20 years and know there is no such thing as digital security for motivated persons

No, its like paying your neighbor to monitor and store security footage of your house.

If you believe cops are inherently unethical, no amount of discussion will change your mind.

Altered footage is not a problem with LE cameras.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    No, its like paying your neighbor to monitor and store security footage of your house.

If you believe cops are inherently unethical, no amount of discussion will change your mind.

Altered footage is not a problem with LE cameras.
    I dont believe cops are inherently evil but I believe humans are inherently corrupt, if it wasn't the case I dont think half the world would be in turmoil

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    ...All I'm saying, without proper oversight of just about anything digital, there is no way to reasonably be certain of its authenticity.

And yet the general public trusts and accepts with absolute certainty the highly edited published videos from [insert any name of unregulated biased group here].

I struggle with the hesitation to openly endorse and encourage the use of them. What is there to hide? The ugly truth that criminals are (cough, cough) criminals? Or that those who wear a badge loose their temper when provoked just like any other human being? Or that the 45 minutes of trying to talk a crazy person with a knife into putting it on the ground ended in a 7 second cell phone clip of someone in a uniform tackling that person? Everything seems very subjective...until it's not. Bring on the full video, unedited, in all of it's painful glory of just what absolute dicks humanity has become. Have tightly regulated rules and specific targets that must be met before video can be released so that everyone on the face of the blessed planet can know and understand there is a 72 hour waiting period OR a 48 hour waiting period or a 7 day period or whatever but it is set, in stone, with clearly defined expectations. This would of course be so that we don't have to hear another mother screaming into a TV camera about how her child had never done anything wrong and never been in trouble (ignore the ankle bracelet, the man he held at gunpoint while carjacking, or the officer he tried to murder with the vehicle). Let's all cry over the loss of a 13yr olds life. And I'm quite serious. Blame only the person who was REQUIRED to make the split second decision. Never, never, never blame the people who impacted and affected his short 13 years. Life is hard. People make terrible choices. It is time that TRUTH be clear and exact. Enough is enough, no more is necessary. Time to shine the light and let be what is found in the dirty corners of Indiana but enough of the lies and the posturing and the shoveling crap for whatever organization. Time for truth. Bring it.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    And yet the general public trusts and accepts with absolute certainty the highly edited published videos from [insert any name of unregulated biased group here].

I struggle with the hesitation to openly endorse and encourage the use of them. What is there to hide? The ugly truth that criminals are (cough, cough) criminals? Or that those who wear a badge loose their temper when provoked just like any other human being? Or that the 45 minutes of trying to talk a crazy person with a knife into putting it on the ground ended in a 7 second cell phone clip of someone in a uniform tackling that person? Everything seems very subjective...until it's not. Bring on the full video, unedited, in all of it's painful glory of just what absolute dicks humanity has become. Have tightly regulated rules and specific targets that must be met before video can be released so that everyone on the face of the blessed planet can know and understand there is a 72 hour waiting period OR a 48 hour waiting period or a 7 day period or whatever but it is set, in stone, with clearly defined expectations. This would of course be so that we don't have to hear another mother screaming into a TV camera about how her child had never done anything wrong and never been in trouble (ignore the ankle bracelet, the man he held at gunpoint while carjacking, or the officer he tried to murder with the vehicle). Let's all cry over the loss of a 13yr olds life. And I'm quite serious. Blame only the person who was REQUIRED to make the split second decision. Never, never, never blame the people who impacted and affected his short 13 years. Life is hard. People make terrible choices. It is time that TRUTH be clear and exact. Enough is enough, no more is necessary. Time to shine the light and let be what is found in the dirty corners of Indiana but enough of the lies and the posturing and the shoveling crap for whatever organization. Time for truth. Bring it.
    This individual does not believe most sources. I generally don't fully buy in unless there is imperical data

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    This individual does not believe most sources. I generally don't fully buy in unless there is imperical data

If u read, the Cia used to ( and they openly admit this) pay Hollywood to put certain content in movies (social engineering) since then the Cia has specified they dont "pay" anymore but don't deny they still influence content,. I just think what we see and hear alot of times tells us info to draw the conclusion they want,

Top Bottom