9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Indiana state fair taste of the wild cookout

Barbecued beaver? Indiana State Fair crowd was game

Popular annual feast connects Hoosiers to the food chain

By Josh Duke
    Posted: August 9, 2009
    http://www.indystar.com/article/200...ued+beaver?+Indiana+State+Fair+crowd+was+game
    For those daring enough, the Indiana State Fair had some special treats Saturday.
    Instead of the traditional elephant ear or turkey leg, fairgoers visiting the Department of Natural Resources building got to sample turtle soup, barbecued beaver and deer sausage.
    "Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to be eating this today," said Kisha Marks, 34, Indianapolis. "But I'm so glad they gave people like me who aren't outdoorsy an opportunity to try this and see what Indiana has to offer."
    The Taste of the Wild Cookout has become a staple at the fair since it was introduced about 20 years ago. About 2,000 people stand in line around the building during the first Saturday of the fair each year to savor meats they don't typically find in their grocery stores.
    Phil Bloom, DNR's director of communications, said the tradition was started to connect urban residents with a side of hunting and fishing they might not appreciate: that food can be taken from the wild, and it can taste good.
    But the reviews were mixed Saturday.
    While Marks tended to like the turtle soup and barbecued beaver, saying it had a smoky taste similar to pulled pork, her daughter wasn't so sure.
    Brittany Marks, 10, turned up her nose until Jim Mahoney, who prepares the barbecued beaver, persuaded her to give it a try.
    "It was OK, but I wouldn't eat it again," she said.
    Mahoney, 70, Columbus, spends late December through March trapping beavers. Following one simple rule -- whatever he kills, he eats -- Mahoney usually catches 15 to 20 a year and prepares five or six for the cookout.
    He seasons the meat, puts it in big roasters and cooks it for five to six hours until the meat begins to fall off the bone. He then chills it, shreds the meat and cooks it again, adding the barbecue sauce to neutralize some of the "wild game taste."
    "Most people don't know this, but it has been a food source of our country since the beginning," Mahoney said. "So having this opportunity to show this state there is some value in these animals is a tremendous thing.
    Call Star reporter Josh Duke at (317) 444-2810

See story here:

http://www.indystar.com/article/200...ued+beaver?+Indiana+State+Fair+crowd+was+game

TK :ingo:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Huh. Barbecued beaver, who would have ever thunk of that... sounded like some people liked the sausage also... and mmm turtle....

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Ya know , ya don't always have to hunt them . Sometimes you can talk them into following you home .

Usually that requires A LOT of waisted time talking to them and stalk , umm , I mean studying them .

My preferred method of catching them is to use copious quantities of alcohol and less talk . They're A LOT easier to catch this way .

Of course I practice "catch and release" so I don't have to spend a lot of time or money in the long term "upkeep" of the "high maintenance" ones .

I've never had a Bar-B-Q'd one , though I've tried' em with banana's and chocolate syrup . Finger lickin GOOD ! :D

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Ya know , ya don't always have to hunt them . Sometimes you can talk them into following you home .

Usually that requires A LOT of waisted time talking to them and stalk , umm , I mean studying them .

My preferred method of catching them is to use copious quantities of alcohol and less talk . They're A LOT easier to catch this way .

Of course I practice "catch and release" so I don't have to spend a lot of time or money in the long term "upkeep" of the "high maintenance" ones .

I've never had a Bar-B-Q'd one , though I've tried' em with banana's and chocolate syrup . Finger lickin GOOD ! :D
    Drunken beaver?? :): Is that like an alcohol base marinade?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    OK...if a beaver eats another beaver...does that make it a cannibal? :dunno: Or are beavers not carnivores? And if it does occur...where would one go to witness such a display? That must be an incredible sight... Raw, unbridled nature...

I love all this outdoorsy talk. Back to nature and such. It makes me proud to be a member here!! :ingo:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom