• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Anyone ever changed a oil pressure switch on a Cadillac Deville with the Northstar?
    Oil level is fine, but I keep getting a "low oil pressure, shut off engine" warning on the dash.
    From what I'm reading the pumps very rarely go bad and its usually a pressure switch failure. Just wondering how much a PIITA it is to change.
    Thanks!
    Kenny

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Anyone ever changed a oil pressure switch on a Cadillac Deville with the Northstar?
    Oil level is fine, but I keep getting a "low oil pressure, shut off engine" warning on the dash.
    From what I'm reading the pumps very rarely go bad and its usually a pressure switch failure. Just wondering how much a PIITA it is to change.
    Thanks!
    Kenny

Yep, been there, done that. Crazy as it sounds, change your oil filter.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Just the filter. I had this happen to me on my 2004. The filter was partially collapsing and was causing just enough oil pressure fluctuation to trigger the sensor. After changing the filter, I never have received the warning since...

I can't take credit for this, my garage had seen it happen once before and suggested we try it. It worked.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I hope that works. Back in my car dealing days (admittedly well prior to 2003), such things as sending units, filters....that's what we always tried right before a con rod ventilated a block.

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    How many miles on the car? What brand oil and filter do you use? What is your oil change interval. Fram filters will cause this problem on northstars. Use a quality filter like a wix or Napa gold(i know I know they are the same filter as wix makes them for napa). As someone who is always working on other peoples used cars that they bought used I find myself fighting neglected oil systems. Please don't think I am implying you've neglected your oiling system. But if you bought the car used the previous owner may have. I do not like and will not use sea foam but a product I have used often successfully is Gunk motor flush. I like to do it for 3-4 oil changes on really dirty engines. Good Luck

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Thanks spirit, I've thought about the sea foam but will keep the gunk stuff in mind.
    It has about 134k on it, runs great, does use a little oil though.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Snipezze
    Top Bottom