• ...and so much more!
  • HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Hello all,

Being new to the state I was wondering what the Indiana state dish is, if there is one. From looking around at the amount of pancake houses one would guess it's pancakes. Ohio's was Cincinnati chili spaghetti, and other places are known for a certain food.

Chris

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Yep! I like it with tomato, lettuce and mayo. Sort of like a BLT. Many like them with mustard and onions. And for dessert: sugar cream pie. I like mine any temperature from almost frozen to almost melted. With a cup of good black coffee.

Welcome to the Hoosier state, by the way!

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    May I suggest the grilled tenderloin sandwich as a substitute?? My personal favorite is found at the Rock Cola Cafe on Southeastern Ave. Very much an all-around yummy sammich!!!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hello all,

Being new to the state I was wondering what the Indiana state dish is, if there is one. From looking around at the amount of pancake houses one would guess it's pancakes. Ohio's was Cincinnati chili spaghetti, and other places are known for a certain food.

Chris

Edwards drive-in.... Raymond and Sherman, IIRC .....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We have no official state food.

A few years ago a resolution making sugar cream pie passed the State Senate as the "state pie". Everyone has their suggestions, but nothing official.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Yep! I like it with tomato, lettuce and mayo. Sort of like a BLT. Many like them with mustard and onions. And for dessert: sugar cream pie. I like mine any temperature from almost frozen to almost melted. With a cup of good black coffee.

Welcome to the Hoosier state, by the way!

Must be a down south thing...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    In my neighborhood, it's pronounced "deesh".

I was born in Ohio, parents from Cincinnati. But when I moved to Indiana as a kid, I eventually learned that there were two basic kinds of people in my area. One were the farm families who've lived on and farmed the land for generations. The others were the Appalachian people from Kentucky and Tennesee who came north for jobs in the factories that used to employ thousands.

Like lots of things, the foods vary depending on where you are in Indiana. I married a girl whose family came up from Kentucky and she makes the best home-made biscuits & gravy that you ever tasted, along with a dozen other good southern dishes (or deeshes, as her dad would say).

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Biscuits and Gravy topped with scrambled eggs and a side of bacon and taters.

Here I thought I was the only one that put scrambled eggs on my biscuit & gravy.

Definitely sugar creme pie. I have to fight my son for it. Wick's makes the ones you'll find in the freezer at Marsh etc. over in Winchester, east of Muncie. I've actually been there.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Here I thought I was the only one that put scrambled eggs on my biscuit & gravy.

Definitely sugar creme pie. I have to fight my son for it. Wick's makes the ones you'll find in the freezer at Marsh etc. over in Winchester, east of Muncie. I've actually been there.

Oh yeah, scrambled eggs on biscuits & gravy, maybe with home fries on the side.

And, I don't know about Mrs. Wick, but I have met Mr. Wick and he's a pretty good guy. Pies to die for.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    It's a Hoosier Thing...
    tender_zpswuqoc8g1.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    May I suggest the grilled tenderloin sandwich as a substitute?? My personal favorite is found at the Rock Cola Cafe on Southeastern Ave. Very much an all-around yummy sammich!!!

BLASPHEMER!!!

It's a Hoosier Thing...
    tender_zpswuqoc8g1.jpg

Two things about a hoosier tenderloin.

1: It must be pounded thin and have at least as much breading as meat.
    2: It must extend beyond the bun enough that so when you trim it to the size of the bun it becomes a double when you put it all back together in the bun.

If it doesnt meet the above criteria, you have yourself a breaded pork chop sandwitch. There is a huge difference.

In a pinch, DQ has a decent mini tenderloin... it meets item 1, but isnt big enough to be a true tenderloin. Still decent taste when you cant find a real one.

Top Bottom