• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Hey, NW Indiana folks, we are riding the train up to Chicago tomorrow for the first time.

Which station do you guys recommend getting on at? Parking? Nice safe area?

Looking to board in the morning off peak so my daughter can ride free.

Southbend is closest to me, but it doesn't look like many trains leave from there, and the parking isn't free.

Thanks in advance for the help, also any other South Shore tips would be appreciated.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I always parked at Dune Park in Chesterton and never had any issues. I lived in Chesterton though and it was only a mile from where I was living at the time. If we take the train, that is where we go to pick it up.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I always parked at Dune Park in Chesterton and never had any issues. I lived in Chesterton though and it was only a mile from where I was living at the time. If we take the train, that is where we go to pick it up.

That's where I go, but I live about 12 miles almost straight south from there, so it's the closest.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Yup. I'd recommend Dune Park also. Easy in and out from IN-49 which will get you to any of the Interstate or US routes.
    The only other option might be the East Chicago station, but it's further toward the city and Dune Park is just a nicer experience IMO.

Give yourself a few minutes to buy tickets in the station (CC machines, I don't know if/when they staff the window in Dune Park). You can pay cash on the train but the ticket's $1 more if the window was open at the station.

Bring a book or a paper and maybe some snacks. And while I wouldn't hang out in between cars, you might take a few minutes between stations.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Dunes Park for me to although it has been a couple years. I drive from Ft. Wayne and while South Bend might be closer parking at Dunes makes the total travel time work better while still avoiding Chicago traffic and parking.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Thanks everyone, no problems boarding the train at dunes park, made it with 20 minutes to spare, and even found a front row parking spot.

Top Bottom