Questions about WW2 vintage US flags? (D-Day commemoration)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Okay, so I'm planning on going to the commemorations of the 70th anniversary of the D-Day in Normandy, in a few months.
    I thought about bringing a US flag but can only find some with the current design.I thought having a vintage WW2 design (with 48 stars) would be more fitting for that day.
    What do you think? :dunno:
    Not sure they even sell new ones with 48 stars (I cant afford to buy an actual historical one, if I could even find one for sell).

I also plan on doing something with that flag if I can get one but I dont really know what to do besides having it fly that day.
    I wanted to try have it signed by WW2 veterans or something like but it would be viewed as defacing the flag I guess.

Any ideas? :dunno:

Do you guys fly any other design of the flag besides the current one to celebrate that day? :dunno:
    Or maybe you're just old and you're not aware of the new states. :):

:patriot: <--- I cant tell the number of stars on this one.

Also dont hesitate, if you have any WW2 vererans in your family, to PM me if you want me to do something on your behalf for you that day.
    I did that for a fellow INGO member who wished he could come to the beaches of Normandy to celebrate a family member.It was neat. :)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I wanted to try have it signed by WW2 veterans or something like but it would be viewed as defacing the flag I guess.

I know you're heart is in the right place, but I doubt you'll find any veterans (or many Americans for that matter) who would write on a US flag.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I know you're heart is in the right place, but I doubt you'll find any veterans (or many Americans for that matter) who would write on a US flag.

I know it's a :nono:.It's why I'm looking for other ideas who could include a flag and WW2 veterans.

I could still have Sarah Palin sign it. :):

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not true. It's done all the time in war zones. It's not meant as disrespectful. Been done by veterans from before the civil war

Ok I'm most now.:scratch:
    I'm not a flag code expert.
    I actually saw pictures of flags signed by soldiers.
    I also know that people thought it was very disrespectful when Sarah Palin signed a US flag.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Ok I'm most now.:scratch:
    I'm not a flag code expert.
    I actually saw pictures of flags signed by soldiers.
    I also know that people thought it was very disrespectful when Sarah Palin signed a US flag.
    That's because she's a politician and politicians will be criticized for anything.
    It might not technically be proper by the flag code but it's been long done and accepted.
    Ive got one signed by a MOH recipient. He didn't have an issue

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    One thing you can do it print off a photo of the beach on d-day for them to sign. Or a poster with all of the unit crests of the units that participated. Just some ideas

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    One thing you can do it print off a photo of the beach on d-day for them to sign. Or a poster with all of the unit crests of the units that participated. Just some ideas

Also a good idea and I have the skills to print something, not like the wood project. :yesway:
    Any particular picture you have in mind?
    I guess it could be possible to include a 48 stars flag in that picture as well.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Also a good idea and I have the skills to print something, not like the wood project. :yesway:
    Any particular picture you have in mind?
    I guess it could be possible to include a 48 stars flag in that picture as well.
    . I'm not real familiar with all of the photos. Maybe a vintage black and white photo of the beach with the machine gun placements after the battle
    had been cleaned up (for obvious reasons). Or a photo of Reagan speaking at the memorial or George bush who was a WWII vet and then you could send it to his office to get signed by him. He's very good about autograph requests. But you'll only get one.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    . I'm not real familiar with all of the photos. Maybe a vintage black and white photo of the beach with the machine gun placements after the battle
    had been cleaned up (for obvious reasons). Or a photo of Reagan speaking at the memorial or George bush who was a WWII vet and then you could send it to his office to get signed by him. He's very good about autograph requests. But you'll only get one.

Speaking of Reagan.Just found this one.

wpid-facebook_-1937820943.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Wow! If you could find that picture without the words on it and then have them sign it in a gold or silver sharpie that would be awesome looking framed!
    id have them add their rank and unit

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature. (U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 8(g))

:dunno:

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    You could try doing something like those Ghosts of War photos. Something like these:

june-6-1944-d-day-normandy-the-landing-of-us-troops-on-omaha-beach-by-sergey-larenkov.jpg

know-where-you-stand-historic-moments-blended-into-present-5.jpg

I don't know if you'd have the capabilities to do something like those, or not, and have veterans sign it. It would be pretty neat. It's just an idea though.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise