• ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Hey INGO Truckers,
    I'm getting ready to switch carriers after the first of the year and am in need of a good GPS Unit. I think I've narrowed my choices down to these two:

Rand McNally TND 720 LM IntelliRoute Truck GPS with Lifetime Maps CURRENT MODEL:Amazon:GPS & Navigation

Garmin Dezl 760LMT 7-Inch Bluetooth Trucking GPS with Lifetime Maps & Traffic:Amazon:GPS & Navigation

I'm a total noob to GPS's. I've always been a map guy and honestly, will still probably cross reference routes against my atlas at least until I get to know and trust the electronics. But, the new job involves more secondary road driving than I've ever done with a combination vehicle, so I think it's probably time to step into the 21st Century.

What are your recommendations?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I don't have a trucking GPS, but I love my Garmin NUVI. Lifetimes maps and traffic is great. Mine doesn't have that, and I'm too cheap to pay for the upgrades.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Wow, that reply made mine look relevant.
    I'm just tired of almost getting killed by big trucks. I don't speed and I also don't cut them off because I know they can't stop on a dime. Also I stay back far enough so I can see their side mirrors so they can see me. Yet more and more I'm seeing them in the wrong lanes going too fast, forcing cars over, Ect. Their GPS's must be broke

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Not a trucker but I spend a lot of time on the road. I use my iPhone but if I was to drive trucks for a living, I would probably get an iPad mini (need 3G/4G version for GPS) and an app like this one:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/copilot-truck-hd-usa-canada/id399782003?mt=8

this way you can have music/audiobooks/movies, etc also in one device. A used/refurbished one is a good idea to keep the cost down.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm just tired of almost getting killed by big trucks. I don't speed and I also don't cut them off because I know they can't stop on a dime. Also I stay back far enough so I can see their side mirrors so they can see me. Yet more and more I'm seeing them in the wrong lanes going too fast, forcing cars over, Ect. Their GPS's must be broke

A GPS has nothing to do with driving like an ***hole. I started the Road Rage thread so I could let off steam about the way people drive. It might be a good place to post your rants about trucks.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I have been out of the truck for some time but garmin is pretty much the top of the line when it comes to GPS units. I'd look and see that it is updated with bridge heights. I used to use a program on my computer that had that option.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    A GPS has nothing to do with driving like an ***hole. I started the Road Rage thread so I could let off steam about the way people drive. It might be a good place to post your rants about trucks.

Agreed. ^^^^. TT, I'll even meet you there and we can trade stories about idiot drivers. Since I log over 2500 miles a week, I'd wager I see more stupidity than you do, no matter how many wheels the vehicle has.

Now, back to the issue at hand:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I run a Rand McNally 510. Had it 3 years. It has steered me
    wrong several times but always make my own choice. . I always run both tolled and avoid tolls route selection. I pay my own tolls so I weigh time, miles, costs.
    I also look over my atlas after going through the routes the GPS has chosen.
    I am big on trip planning.

RandMcNally had a deal now with factory recon units.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I used to have a Garmin Nuvi, but gave it to my wife when I got my android phone and google maps. It was so much better than the nuvi. However, since a recent software update that completely redid google maps, it pretty much sucks. Much harder to use than it used to be. However, it was still more accurate than my garmin. My BIL's road was not on my garmin for 3 years after it was on google maps.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    From my 2 years selling these at a truck stop: Rand McNally and Garmin units are ok. The new 720's from Rand looked nice, and were priced pretty nice. The Garmin units have great maps, but some drivers throught they gave them bad info. Stay away from the Cobra units. About everyone I ever sold ended up coming back one way or another.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I have a Rand McNally. It has never steered me wrong.

If you work for a company with Qualcomms and they have the GPS function turned on, AVOID AVOID AVOID

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To some truckers Id say slow the **** down and learn to drive.
    Really?
    I'd tell most all of them to speed up and drive the speeds they used to in the day when if you wanted to cover some miles in a hurry, you ran with the truckers.
    These days, if you run with the truckers, they drive so slow you wonder if you're ever gonna get there. :):

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Thanks folks. The Garmin has been my favorite of the two from all I've read. When plunking down nearly 400 bones for something, I really don't want to take the decision lightly.
    Again, thank you for your input.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    So my company gave us crappy 2 way phones with a navi app that crashes all the time, it's android I think, do any of you guys know of an app that is for truck navi? I'm getting tired of it trying to take me down roads with 10' bridges!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Trencher
    Top Bottom