• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    My family and I are going out to Maine for a fall vacation. We are going to make a few stops on the way like Niagara Falls, Boston and Salem MA. We know there is a lot of great things to do and see in Maine but does anyone here have any suggestions? Any parks that are can't miss or lobster houses that are a must hit? We want to spend a little time on the coast and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have visited several times, and even honeymooned there.

Perkins Cove and Ogunquit are nice. Whale watching and fishing boats leave from the cove. Clam Chowder at Barnacle Billy's is pretty good, and the Lobster Pound is pretty decent. Lots of great dining all within walking distance, actually. Hotels range from dives, to nice resorts, to historic homes for weekly rentals. We normally stay at the Riverside Motel right on Perkins Cove, and then walk (or take the trolley) to about anything we want.

Bar Harbor is also pretty nice. Great little town to wonder around. The Acadia National Park has great rocky beaches to explore. A trip on the schooner Margaret Todd is WELL worth it. You could easily spend a week here.

There are GOBS of historic sites all along the coast. We have spent days just hopping from fort, to park, to lighthouse, etc....

Don't forget shopping in Freeport! There is a really nice L.L. Bean there.

I could go on.....:)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I suggest a trip over to the Roadfood.com forums to find all the best places to chow down while you're out. No sense in wasting good time and money on carbon copy chain places when there's great regional food to be had. Maine? I'd definitely make the time to find some of the great lobster roll places and enjoy the seafood.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I suggest a night or two in the Adirondacks on your way two or from - if you're able to accommodate.

Or try to hit a few of the myriad wineries along the I-90 corridor...if you're into that kind of thing, that is.

-J-

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Legal Seafood on Boston Harbor is a great place to eat. It's pricey, but everything is fresh caught.
    Kittery, ME has a nice outlet mall full of cool shops (just across the harbor from Portsmouth, NH)
    Don't overlook Lexington Green, the Battle Road, and Minute Man museum. It's less than 20 miles from Boston.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Don't forget shopping in Freeport! There is a really nice L.L. Bean there.
    My wife has been all over the shopping. Thats okay I can find a good restraunt to camp in. :)

I suggest a trip over to the Roadfood.com forums to find all the best places to chow down while you're out. No sense in wasting good time and money on carbon copy chain places when there's great regional food to be had. Maine? I'd definitely make the time to find some of the great lobster roll places and enjoy the seafood.

Exactly! What a great website. Thanks

I suggest a night or two in the Adirondacks on your way two or from -J-

Wow really does look beautiful.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Looks are deceiving. It's better in person. I'm sure there's a hundreds B&B places up there.

Also check out the Finger Lakes region. Also quite beautiful.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Take the drive along Rt 1; you'll hit lots of tourist-friendly yet small, salt-air-filled towns. Saco is a nice area; Wormwoods is a seafood place out at the easternmost point of the city (take Rt 5 from the city) at Eastern/Bay--right on the beach...

Portland has lots of culture and stuff; Bar Harbor is nice, if you are headed north; Acadia is always a good time. Drive way up (wicked far) and climb Mt. Katadin, if that's your thing.

The nice thing about Maine is that the good restaurants use freshly caught seafood... can't get much better than that! Since I left more than a decade ago, I have only had seafood once or twice... I just don't like it "imported" to Indiana.

piker75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    There are two parts of Acadia:
    1) Mount Desert Island: Cadillac Mountain sunrise, Thunder hole during rising tide, lots of great hikes: Bee Hive, Bubble Rock, Precipice, Jordan Pond (JP House offers tea & pop-overs)
    Sea kayaks available in Bar Harbor
    2) Part of Acadia is also a peninsula to the East (Schoodic Point)...is accessed via Winter Harbor, where many lobster boats operate from. This portion of the park tends to be less crowded.

Trenton Activities (on way to Bar Harbor / Mount Desert Island:
    1) Lumberjack show in Trenton
    2) Trenton Lobster Pound

Other Downeast places (Coastal Maine from Penboscot to Canadian border):
    1) Crocker house restaurant - Hancock Point, ME
    2) Blue Hill is quaint coastal town
    3) Big Chicken barn is large antique store in Ellsworth, ME
    4) Castine looks interesting with Maine Maritime overlooking the ocean...but, haven't spent much time there.

Bangor activities:
    1) Paul Bunyon statue downtown
    2) Steven King's house on West broadway (nothing special except cool wrought iron fencing
    3) Dysart's truck stop / restaurant offers blueberry pancakes & cinnamon rolls as their specialties
    4) Sea Dog brewery on waterfront

Baxter State Park is the start/end of the Appalachian trail. Mount Katahdin is the 1st point in US for sunrise.

LL Bean in Freeport is open 365 days/24 hours.

In Adirondacks:
    1) Old Forge Hardware is cool old-time shop
    2) look for <$40/gallon maple syrup (Northern Borne in Long Lake)
    3) Long Lake offers float plane rides via Helm's Aero Service
    4) Walt's Diner in Old Forge
    5) Free wildlife preserve in Newcombe

Top Bottom