• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    It's on my list for next year. Thinking of maybe doing the Light in April and the Challenge in June. There's a new ranger green ruck coming out in September that has my eye. Any words of wisdom?

Last edited:

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    It's on my list for next year. Thinking of maybe doing the Light in April and the Challenge in June. There's a new ranger green ruck coming out in September that has my eye. Any words of wisdom?

I'm planning on doing the Light in April as well so we'll see each other.

As far as words of wisdom, let me give you my personal experience with it (everyone will be a bit different):

First of all, I'm 40 years old. That was definitely not an advantage in the physical department. However, I've got a lot of experience being very uncomfortable for long periods of time so my life experiences helped in the mental department. The point is, don't be discouraged regardless of age. There are advantages to old or young.

They say that 90% of it is mental. That is probably true because no matter how much of a stud you are, it seems like you will exhaust your physical resources at some point. Maybe you make it 7 hours vs someone else's 2 hour limit, but regardless, you'll need to steel yourself mentally.

Frankly, there were many times I wanted to quit. I didn't quit but I dealt with the "Quit Fairy" for much of the second half of the Challenge. You CANNOT, CANNOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES start thinking about the end or how much you've done, what time it is, if this is the last exercise, etc. Don't make deals with yourself either. Don't say, "Well, I've got only one more exercise in me." Or something like that. You're killing yourself.

You HAVE TO focus entirely on the present. If you're doing bear crawls, concentrate on bear crawls, not on what's coming next. The mental stress of fear or anticipating the suck to come will wear you down. Don't do it. This is where I felt I was pretty strong. I did not try to determine what time it was. I tried to focus on the next push-up, the next evolution, etc. I kept telling myself that whatever I was doing, I will do for the rest of my life, not for the next 30 seconds or whatever. This is where if you have experience being miserable, you will be glad of those life experiences.

I was weak in the physical department. Mostly because I didn't train properly. I spent a lot of time rucking with weight. Mostly I did that because I'm more of a runner than a weight lifter. So, I did what came easier to me. BIG MISTAKE. I should have done the exact opposite. I suck at pull-ups, bear crawls and other upper-body exercises. I should have focused on those because that is what really hit me hard during the Challenge. I should have worked my upper body all the time in dips, burpees, pull-ups, overhead presses, etc. I made it through but at the end, I was unable to help my teammates and that bothered me. Next time, I will be more of a contributor.

There is a 6 week program on GR's website to prepare for a Challenge. That is an excellent program because it prepares you for what you will see in the Challenge.

I would also make sure your gear is squared away. You don't need a lot of gear, I think my entire load out consisted of:

GR1
    6 bricks wrapped exactly like they show on the site
    Ziploc bag of:
    -two Cliff bars (didn't eat either one)
    -Cliff shots (these were the easiest to eat for me)
    -Sport beans (also pretty good)
    -1 packet of Gu (didn't eat)
    -Tabs of Nuun or Gatorade or something to dissolve in my Camelbak
    3L Camelback (refilled a couple of times)
    Ziploc bag with a windbreaker and an extra pair of socks (neither was used)
    Headlamp (we were never allowed to use this)
    Ziploc bag with wallet and some cash

You need to practice with your load out doing all different kinds of exercises cause those bricks are awkward.

Our Challenge lasted 13 hours (9pm to 10 am) and we covered 23 miles total. We carried some very, very heavy crap too! And we were punished severely at the end for some mistakes we made throughout the night.

The bottom line is that this thing is very, VERY hard, but it is doable if you work with your team and you mentally prepare yourself. Finishing is mostly mental but THRIVING requires some physical preparation. It IS worth it, though.

Somewhere around 4 in the morning in the middle of a 4 mile carry of a 500lb log, I was thinking to myself, "I'll NEVER do one of these again." Not even two weeks later as I type this, I'm DEFINITELY going to do another one.

You can do it. And you'll be glad you did! Keep me informed of your progress!:yesway:

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Yea, I'm a runner too and have really ignored strength training. In fact, I think the light will be two weeks after when I have my first marathon planned. I am soon to be 35, so I'm not in the ideal age range either. I also have some weight to lose and don't think I could do a single pull-up (I have NEVER been good at those), so the training is going to be a journey of its own.

I have seen, but not studied, the 6 week plan. Did you follow something similar? I understand the metal preparedness aspect of it, and hopefully that confidence will come with the training. What worries me the most is them deciding that we need to roll around in that nasty White River or canal! I can swim, but I'm not a water person. Oh, and what to do with the car for 13 hours downtown!

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yea, I'm a runner too and have really ignored strength training. In fact, I think the light will be two weeks after when I have my first marathon planned. I am soon to be 35, so I'm not in the ideal age range either. I also have some weight to lose and don't think I could do a single pull-up (I have NEVER been good at those), so the training is going to be a journey of its own.

I have seen, but not studied, the 6 week plan. Did you follow something similar? I understand the metal preparedness aspect of it, and hopefully that confidence will come with the training. What worries me the most is them deciding that we need to roll around in that nasty White River or canal! I can swim, but I'm not a water person. Oh, and what to do with the car for 13 hours downtown!

You'll be fine. You can never get to a point where it won't suck terribly so in that sense, you can never feel fully ready. At least, I never had a lot of confidence going in it. I did basically make up my mind that they would kick me out or I would go unconscious, but I wouldn't quit. But that's the closest I came to any confidence :)

Our class did not go into the White River, we went into some fountains downtown. But we had some GR veterans in our class and in prior Indy classes they went into the White River. You have too much weight on to actually swim so I think it's just enough to get wet and miserable, not actually life threatening. But, who knows.

I work downtown so I had my car in my work space all night. Most people either got rides or parked in one of the 24 hr parking garages downtown. It didn't seem like it was a problem for anyone.

I did the 6 week program on the website. Due to traveling and some other situations (my daughter was on that bus crash on the north side where our youth pastor was killed), I was extremely busy toward the end of it and didn't work out like I should have. I will do that same program next time and be more dedicated to it. I think it is a good program as it gives a good sampling of all of the things you might encounter. Don't cut corners and you'll be fine. The key is to get used to heavy weights for long periods of time. I'd probably not spend very much time in the gym. It seemed like traditional bench presses, curls, that sort of thing was not as useful as weighted burpees or pull-ups.

Good luck and don't be intimidated because of age, weight, etc. Just do it and you'll have a blast.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I looked at the dates again.. the light is just one week after the Carmel Marathon. Seeing how it'd be my first marathon, I know my legs would still not be up to the task. My decision is dropping to the half marathon, or skipping the Light. Decisions, decisions. My first thought is to do the half and the Light :)

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Yea, sorry, shoulda clarified.

• Indianapolis, IN
    • April 19, 2014

They say 4 - 5 hours, but since Expatriated's Challenge was 13 hours despite the 8 - 10 promise, it wouldn't surprise me if the Light went long as well.

I think the steepest entry requirement is a bag tough enough to haul 4 bricks and a hydration bladder. Of course, Go Ruck would love for you to buy theirs (and I will), but there's other suitable bags out there for cheaper.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yea, sorry, shoulda clarified.

• Indianapolis, IN
    • April 19, 2014

They say 4 - 5 hours, but since Expatriated's Challenge was 13 hours despite the 8 - 10 promise, it wouldn't surprise me if the Light went long as well.

I think the steepest entry requirement is a bag tough enough to haul 4 bricks and a hydration bladder. Of course, Go Ruck would love for you to buy theirs (and I will), but there's other suitable bags out there for cheaper.

I would be interested.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Interested.

I haven't read into the Goruck website in quite a while (last time I looked at it the challenge was the only thing they had), but I thought using their pack was part of the requirement...or is that just for the challenge and not the light?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Cool deal, Que. I don't think you'd have a problem preparing!

When they release the ranger green bags next month I'll probably buy one and register with the 20% gear discount you get when you register. Or maybe just stick with black.. we'll see how it looks. I think there's also a military / police / firefighter discount if you email them and ask.

If 5 people are interested they say they'll setup a group rate for us. Team INGO?

I've just been running until the last week or two but I've started working in some strength and flexibility exercises. I'll start hiking with the ruck when I get it. It'll be a long process to get myself in to shape for this :)

I haven't read into the Goruck website in quite a while (last time I looked at it the challenge was the only thing they had), but I thought using their pack was part of the requirement...or is that just for the challenge and not the light?

Yea, they have a few more now. The Light, a heavy that is 24 hours, and a Selection that is 48 (like 10% pass rate!), and some capstone events for people that have passed a Challenge or higher. Their events were designed to show off the toughness of their bags, but their bags are not required AFAIK.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I haven't run since I did the Tough Mudder two years ago (except the 1 1/2 mile run I do for work twice a year, but anyone can do that without any prep). I dropped a 4X4 on my foot two days after that and think I broke some toes. My foot was black for two months and I could barely walk on it. I never went to the doctor, so I can only guess as to what kind of damage there was. I need an excuse to get back into it, so this may just be the thing.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Come on guys! DO IT!

You don't NEED a GR bag. My buddy did one with like a Condor or something. A lot of it has to do with how you wrap your bricks. Wrap them just like the website shows and you'll be fine. They should fit sort of snug in the bag. Or you should strap them down to secure them. Having 35lbs of bricks fall 16 inches and hit you in the back of the head on a bear crawl is not fun. I know. I did it a dozen or so times that night just to make sure---ugh. I think Eagle bags, Maxpedition bags, stuff like that would be ok. Be warned though--if your bag ruptures, you still have to carry your bricks and water in your arms all night. Or in one arm while you do one arm push-ups so don't bring some Hello Kitty thing you won at the Fair.

I have heard of GR Lights going about 7-8 hours so you really need to be able to do 8 hours just in case. And, hey, if you can do 8, you might as well do the Challenge, right?

If we get enough INGO-ers, we can make team shirts or team patches or whatever. That just has to be approved by GR if you are going to use their logos and stuff with it.

If you guys get REALLY hard core, there is a Challenge at night and then the Light the next day if you want to do both....just sayin :)

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    We could meet up a few times in the late winter, early spring and carry some telephone poles around for practice.

Or, maybe we could meet on the north or south side and ruck to a 1500 with full weighted packs, carrying some heavy stuff.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    If you can do 8, you can do a challenge.. except the challenge may go 13 hours! The Light is much more approachable, for me anyways. The light only requires 4 bricks, so about 20 pounds... easier on the noggin ;)

Rucking to the fairgrounds from Broad Ripple would only be about 3.5 miles one way. That'd be an idea for the March 1500. We should definitely try to meetup a few times. I have never done anything like this before. Hell, I've never done a bear crawl! But crawling up and down the sledding hill at Fort Harrison sounds like good livin'!

I know this would be a good workout for a few of our resident cops and firefighters... step up!

Last edited:

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    By March, you guys will be pretty good to go. We could get a large log and try to carry it down the Monon from Broad Ripple to the 1500.

During my Challenge we had a log that was roughly 400-500 lbs I'm guessing. There were 8 of us on it and it was still a substantial weight each to carry. Of course, we still had our packs, the two team weights and the two flags to carry as well.

I'm not sure if you do team weights for Lights but the harder you train, the easier the Light will be.

There is basically 7 months from now to then to get everything organized and to start training. That is a very doable time table. Just break it down into monthly segments and start. That amount of time is also good because no one has to train super hard in a short period of time and risk injuries. The first couple of months could be just focusing on cardio and weight loss, for example. A goal would be to drop 20 lbs or so by new years, as an example.

I think it would be cool to have a bunch of INGO'ers.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    They released the new colors and I'm getting ready to sign up for the Light so I get 20% off the bag and accessories. Anyone else interested -- enough to make a team to get an event discount too?

Top Bottom