• ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    NRA Mobile

This subject and S&D explanation has been no doubt duped to no end on here, but I don't care. It needs to be continually reverberated. We're the ones driving demand and consequently prices up. It's tempting for sure to buy up those few boxes as soon as they hit the shelves but it is ultimately contributing to the problem overall. I've been guilty of joining in on the hoarding frenzy myself.

For starters, I've decided to sell a few boxes of my 9mm to a coworker friend of mine (at the pre-panic price) who just got a new pistol and would like to shoot it. Perhaps (hopefully) more and more folks will follow suit over the coming months.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    While I applaud you for your willingness to stand up like this, you are going to hear it from the ole "Freemarketeers" who seem to think that this is good for us. I see the who thing aa GREED pure and simple. People see a chance to make a fast buck and could care less about what it is doing to the Firearms Community as a whole. In the end, this is why we loose more often than win in the legislature. We call ourselves a community but we aren't one at all. We are a bunch of people who all enjoy firearms one way or another and that's where our relationship ends. It would be nice if we moved as once in times like these but we in-fight too much for that to happen.

Folks, one of the ways discussed by Barry O and the Brady's was to make it too expensive to shoot. They planned on this sort of think as a back up if they didn't get their way in the legislature banning all of those ban "Assault" guns. If we can't feed them, the firearms wind up paperweights and door props. So unless we can get together as a group and stop trying so hard to make money off of one another by hoarding and buying ammo faster than it can be produced, we are sure to see a very large increase in the price of ammo in general once things get closer to "normal". Those who assure us that once supply catches up to demand, the prices will go back to what they were before this happened aren't really thinking this through veery well. That or they took an economy class once and think this makes them economists. Well it doesn't and I have watched enough of these to assure you that prices are going to stay high though how high is only a question of how long we continue to act like frightened rabbits buying everything they see whether it's of use or not in case they can parlay it into something they need.

So, let's see if we can't fool the anti's and stop this now. Let's help those new gun owners find ammo so they don't have to pay through the nose to shoot the new gun they have and let's act like a COMMUNITY for once in our lives and make all of this stop. It isn't going to stop overnight. WAe can make it end a lot faster than it otherwise would. We just have to stop being driven by greed and fear and start acting like rational adults and everything really will even out and become more normal for all of us much faster than it otherwis would.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Supply will come back. Prices may stay higher than they were before. Demand is also higher than it was before.

SUCH a difficult concept.

wambulance.gif

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    an amazingly intelligent looking response.

One that essentially ignores what I am saying about why this sort of thing is a LOOSE for the gun owners and a WIN for the Anti's.

Sometimes I wonder what is more important to the Free Marketeers among us...

Is it the MONEY or is it the Second Amendment and making firearms and shooting affordable to all rather than just the rich?

Money really is the root of all evil. That isn't to say that it is bad to want a better way of life for your family, more that trying to earn more just for the sake of earning more is a horrible way to look at the big picture. You can make all the fun of me and my views as you wish but in the end I tend to prove myself right in the fullness of time. The more it winds up costing just to buy ammunition or reload for that matter, and this will always be a bad thing. If only the rich wind up being able to afford to shoot the guns they own, then only the rich are covered by the Second Amendment. That renders the 2nd moot since the rich tend to be immune to the ugliness of the laws never touches them.

Ammo is the key to firearms, without it there is no reason to even own a gun.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    L-O-S-E. One "O". Loose = not tight.

This is a short term shortage. It will not always be unavailable and selling for higher than in-store retail price.

Price may rise, as demand has risen. We've been over this. You and others continue to whine.

It doesn't have to be a choice between money and the 2nd amendment. Given a free market, prices go down as more suppliers fill the demand. It's more difficult given the fact that the government already meddles too much and as such a would-be manufacturer has to get an FFL just to make ammo to sell.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    This **** again. Right now, it's a buyers market. Before you try to argue my point, think about it. The seller sets the price, but people are buying. The buyer is driving up the price, because they are willing to pay what is being asked. Take all the people that are buying and flipping ammo for double or triple the price. Why not, if people are willing to pay it. They are simply taking advantage of capitalism. No one is forcing anyone to buy it. If everyone refused to buy, then the buyer has two choices. 1) hold onto it. 2) lower the price. Those that are flipping are not looking to hold onto it, they are looking to make a profit. The buyers are in large the problem. Stop enabling those only looking to make a profit. If you are paying $1 plus per round of .223, when it was half that or less last year, it's your own fault. I do not feel sympathy for those that do.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    I was at a Walmart a couple of weeks ago, and as my usual routine I check the ammo case. There were 6 boxes of steel case Tula 9mm, I don't really need the ammo, but I buy some when I see it. So I tell the clerk I want 3 boxes, she proceeds to tell me twice that I can buy it all, they have no limit. But like I said I am not out of ammo, so I told her I would leave it for the next person. She didn't seem to understand, so I got my 150 rounds and left her confused.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I was at a Walmart a couple of weeks ago, and as my usual routine I check the ammo case. There were 6 boxes of steel case Tula 9mm, I don't really need the ammo, but I buy some when I see it. So I tell the clerk I want 3 boxes, she proceeds to tell me twice that I can buy it all, they have no limit. But like I said I am not out of ammo, so I told her I would leave it for the next person. She didn't seem to understand, so I got my 150 rounds and left her confused.

You didn't need it and bought it anyway?

EVIL! What, do you HATE all gun owners?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You take the cake, all of you. Now we are going to take me to school for a mistake that I think you know I made by accident since my usage of the language is far better than yours generally.
    And you tell me I make fun of you and you don't lower yourselves to my level. Riiight. Jeep telling yourselves that. I try to control my fingers better from now on.

Someday this will come home to roost and unless you are one of the people who have a lot of idle money, you may wonder why things are costing so much when you go to the range. In fact, you may even enjoy how empty the place becomes since most of the rest of the firearm owners can't afford to fire their arms any longer so what little ammo they have they hoard. I am always amazed ho the short run seems to ALWAYS outweigh the long run. This sort of short sightedness is sure to help the Anti's get their way and make things as gun free as if they had been made illegal to buy.

Go now and worship at the altar or Mammon.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you don't like the free market, there are other options available.
    I'm not sure how they would do you any better.
    Are they supposed to mandate the price be lower? Cause people would continue to buy it up real fast.
    Are they supposed to mandate the price be higher? I'm not sure if your problem is that the price is too high, or there is not enough ammo.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh, and money is not the root of all evil.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

Actually, I think people are the root of all evil, but I didn't get to make the expression.

Money replaces the barter system. Unless you're keen on getting a chicken to trade to a guy that wants the chicken and gives you couple of pounds of meat that you trade for some gas that you trade for the ammo you wanted.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You take the cake, all of you. Now we are going to take me to school for a mistake that I think you know I made by accident since my usage of the language is far better than yours generally.
    And you tell me I make fun of you and you don't lower yourselves to my level. Riiight. Jeep telling yourselves that. I try to control my fingers better from now on.

Someday this will come home to roost and unless you are one of the people who have a lot of idle money, you may wonder why things are costing so much when you go to the range. In fact, you may even enjoy how empty the place becomes since most of the rest of the firearm owners can't afford to fire their arms any longer so what little ammo they have they hoard. I am always amazed ho the short run seems to ALWAYS outweigh the long run. This sort of short sightedness is sure to help the Anti's get their way and make things as gun free as if they had been made illegal to buy.

Go now and worship at the altar or Mammon.

Did we hurt your feelings? Who is driving up the demand? Everyone that is rushing out and panic buying. Sure you have an influx of new gun buyers. However, many are people who sat on their hands, then decided they needed more ammo. Instead of buying on a regular basis. You don't wait two days before a storm hits to make sure you have water, food, etc. do you? Everyone should have known the day Obama first got elected. I have not bought ammo besides .22 and 7.62x39, before I sold my AK for almost two years. Why, because I decided reloading was a better option. One reason I sold my AK.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'm one of the ones that got caught with my pants down regarding ammo supply. I should've known this could happen but I didn't plan ahead...my bad. I was going to buy a size-able amount of ammo last year but buying a new house took away my disposable funds. But the day that the CT shooting happened I bought as much ammo as I could afford. Since the shooting I have purchased more but only at places that aren't jacking up their prices. I know have enough that I feel comfortable with for a reserve inventory now I just need to be able to replace what I shoot. Once craze passes I'll be buying more so I don't get caught pants down again but for now I don't plan on purchasing anymore. Hopefully more people are getting to this point so that supply will catch up. Problem is that all it will take is another high profile shooting is going to extend this issue.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You didn't hurt my feelings and you are right, it is the love of money that is the root of all evil...

You guys sure do love your money though.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I think there are more than a few here who worship money, no matter how it is acquired. But that is more than obvious in todays society. Ah well such is life and all actions will return to haunt one, both the good and the bad.

Top Bottom