Reloading Misadventures - Post your Whoops moments.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    People have had many wonderful things to say about the shop. For that, I thank you. But as stated in the other thread, I'm not perfect. So, I'm posting some major blunders in my reloading career. I've had a few. Load enough ammo and you'll have one or two. Great chance to air your dirty laundry here.

Post your self-deprocating admissions...

1) I blew up an INGO member's P90 full auto post sample by lodging a subsonic bullet in the barrel, then putting one up it's behind. It was a customer requested load, and I had no experience loading sub-5.7x28. Took me a few months to put the money together for replacement parts, but I sent the customer a check, and learned something about loading subsonic 5.7x28 too.

2) Another person had a slamfire in an AR from a high primer in a .223 round. Blew out the bolt face, the mag and bolt catch release. Customer called me and I took care of that one too. Went to mil primed brass after that first event.

3) Hired a new reloader. He worked all night and sent 10 cases of bad ammo to ECPR for sale. OAL's were all over the place, and lots of high primers. Recalled it all and reimbursed Guy for it, but not before a big dent in my reputation. Needless to say, he was fired immediately.

Reloading is a contact sport. If it's not perfect, it's dangerous. Load enough and it'll happen, whatever 'it' may be. I've had mine, and I admit it.

Tell us about yours.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    People have had many wonderful things to say about the shop. For that, I thank you. But as stated in the other thread, I'm not perfect. So, I'm posting some major blunders in my reloading career. I've had a few. Load enough ammo and you'll have one or two. Great chance to air your dirty laundry here.

Post your self-deprocating admissions...

1) I blew up an INGO member's P90 full auto post sample by lodging a subsonic bullet in the barrel, then putting one up it's behind. It was a customer requested load, and I had no experience loading sub-5.7x28. Took me a few months to put the money together for replacement parts, but I sent the customer a check, and learned something about loading subsonic 5.7x28 too.

2) Had a slamfire in an AR from a high primer in a .223 round. Blew out the bolt face, the mag and bolt catch release. Customer called me and I took care of that one too. Went to mil primed brass after that first event.

3) Hired a new reloader. He worked all night and sent 10 cases of bad ammo to ECPR for sale. OAL's were all over the place, and lots of high primers. Recalled it all and reimbursed Guy for it, but not before a big dent in my reputation. Needless to say, he was fired immediately.

Reloading is a contact sport. If it's not perfect, it's dangerous. Load enough and it'll happen, whatever 'it' may be. I've had mine, and I admit it.

Tell us about yours.

id say out of the ? million rounds you have sent out thats a pretty fair average

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    No boom moments yet. I loaded over 150 rounds of 308 with LC brass before I figured out deburring the flash hole. On the bright side my groups got better. I can't exactly note the frustration I had while working the different loads. I questioned everything I did while loading the rounds to pulling the trigger. Seems simple now but I didn't have that bit of knowledge at the time.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    As you know I haven't started the reloads yet, so my only "Whoops" is not coming to see you a LOT sooner.

As a sidenote I am glad you started this thread. It will help me with what to watch out for as I do not want to add anything to this in the future.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    One time for my company's catalog photo shoot, I reloaded a magazine with the rounds facing backwards. Silly me!

picture.php

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Put together 100 rounds of 9mm using 6.2gr of Power Pistol. Except my powder measure happened to be full of Clays.

I caught it, but using a kinetic puller on 100 rounds is no fun.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    early in my reloading "career" I apparently double charged a .45 and lauched it out of my Les Bear Premier ll. Nearly $500 repair, with a new frame. Some bodily damage and my OOOPS moment had happened. I still remember the bang, bang, BOOOM!! Now I stand at the press, really good lighting, and if I get tired, I stop. No other issues since.. thanks for that..

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    18 Year Old DA Move..

My first handloads were done with a "Lee Loader", yes the Ole Whack a Mole reloading set.

My first pistol was a med frame South American (of some kind??) .38Special.
    The charts called for one scoop of powder (Bullseye I think?). They shot OK-BUT-I NEED a MAGNUM--Let's go with TWO scoops!!!

WELL, when the third round of my "MAGNUM" loads went off, so did the top half of the cylinder/top strap!!

No injuries, all fingers, eyes, etc. OK. It DID cost me a new pair of "Fruit of the Looms"! HA HA...

The ONLY positive thing about this Dumb A** move, was that the loading was NOT an accident, or done by mistake...I knew how much powder I put in those .38 cases, I just did NOT know what it would do???

I have not had the urge for the last 40 years to try another 'Trick" like that...Bill.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Managed to "load" a box of 50 9mm, nice looking rounds, fmj, shiny clean cases, perfect oal, factory crimp. Only problem, no powder. Took 2 rounds to figure it out.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Had to look this up in my load log book. Not going to list powder or amount. Lets just say it wasn't enough powder to cycle a P 85 Ruger. Luckily it did cycle in a 9mm Colt rifle. Barely. Oh yeah, did I mention I loaded 200 rounds?

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    mangled don't know how much brass before figured out sizing dies, 2 squid loads over the years, just luckey I quess

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Haven't had any oops moments yet but i can tell you as another guy here already mentioned. It is best to stop for the night when you are getting tired.

I sure hope i never blow up any of my guns...I got 10 fingers so I got "spares" for those. :D I can still shoot with 8. :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    My first handloads were done with a "Lee Loader", yes the Ole Whack a Mole reloading set.

My first pistol was a med frame South American (of some kind??) .38Special.
    The charts called for one scoop of powder (Bullseye I think?). They shot OK-BUT-I NEED a MAGNUM--Let's go with TWO scoops!!!

WELL, when the third round of my "MAGNUM" loads went off, so did the top half of the cylinder/top strap!!

No injuries, all fingers, eyes, etc. OK. It DID cost me a new pair of "Fruit of the Looms"! HA HA...

The ONLY positive thing about this Dumb A** move, was that the loading was NOT an accident, or done by mistake...I knew how much powder I put in those .38 cases, I just did NOT know what it would do???

I have not had the urge for the last 40 years to try another 'Trick" like that...Bill.
    Bought a lee loader when I was 15 to reload for my 30 carbine,I wouldn't load with one of those today on a dare.
    My 17 yo son was helping me reload a couple of weeks ago and a conversation we had ended with me telling him about the old lee loader,as I tried to describe it I could tell he couldn't picture it in his mind.
    So we went to good old youtube and sure enough ,there were a few vids of a lee loader.
    As soon as the vid was done playing ,he looked at me and said ,that has POS written all over it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    As far as reloading mistakes,I try to stay focused and do quite a bit of research on new loads ,and therefore am lucky to say I have had few problems .
    But with that said I managed to miss the powder on a 45 acp load a couple of weeks ago and stuck a bullet in my 1911 barrel.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Some years back when I was shooting IHMS I had loaded 100 rounds of 44mag and went to the shoot. On the fourth round I fired the revolver locked up. The primer sent the bullet half way in to the barrel. I knocked the bullet back in the the case with a cleaning rod. I had failed to put powder in the case. It was the only one that had no powder. Thank god it didn't go all the way into the barre. I now have checks on my checks and don't load when I am tired. That was the only problem I have ever had and that was to many. You all have a great day.

Top Bottom