• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Just did some digging and both red-star and wolf source most of their 5.45 from both Russia and Ukraine for manufacturing. 7.62 is a bit different of a story where Wolf is almost 100% Russian and red-start is Bulgarian. Personally I just placed a large order of 5.45 to hold me over for several years. Given the state of world affairs and the talk about punishing Russia from both side's of the aisle in Washington for it's armed incursion I can see 5.45 drying up fairly quickly. Think about what happened for China 7.62 after we blocked arms imports from them...

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    A lot of the Red Army Standard ammo is coming out of Romania. Perhaps they can help meet demand, and I bet the Serbians could fill the market if they really wanted to set up production of steel case ammo.

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    I'm more concerned about the surplus Russian 7.62x54r. I believe most of the 100's of millions of rounds of Russian surplus that has been imported over the past couple years was stuff the Russians left behind in the Ukrainian salt mines after the soviet union broke up. This could reduce the supply and increase prices.

Oh and don't forget about the cheap mosin nagants. I think those were exclusively from the Ukrainian salt mines.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    For some reason I figure we will be seeing another, or worsened ammo shortage just on the possibility that there will be a Russian embargo.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I'm more concerned about the surplus Russian 7.62x54r. I believe most of the 100's of millions of rounds of Russian surplus that has been imported over the past couple years was stuff the Russians left behind in the Ukrainian salt mines after the soviet union broke up. This could reduce the supply and increase prices.

Oh and don't forget about the cheap mosin nagants. I think those were exclusively from the Ukrainian salt mines.

As if this stuff wasn't corrosive enough! Jeeez!

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Yes! I like to shoot corrosive primed ammo, with corrosive coatings of salt, in corrosive salt coated 100 year old guns! Murica

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Diversify your holdings! Cover all bases! This is why holding a domestic weapon with domestic calibers is vital. What if Johnny Beijing let loose? The guys with the AKs would dry up in 5 minutes... Better look into an AR or learn the controls on a QBZ-95.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I'm really contemplating ordering one more spam can of 7n6. I'm sitting here staring at my Widener's shopping cart, looking at $181 shipped for another can. I seriously have so much eastern bloc ammo I have no room for it anymore haha, but it would seriously blow if this embargo does happen, and who know's how long it'll be like that. I mean for God sakes, look at the Cuban embargo. I guess I could look at it as an investment. Either way, surplus won't be around forever, therefore prices will go up at some point. I only have 1 rifle that shoots 5.45 (my WW AK74), i've been strongly contemplating a 5.45 upper for an AR build, but I just can't justify spending the crazy prices on one just yet.
    Think I'll throw a dip in, sit here and think for another 10-15 min, maybe draw some straws with myself haha, and decide.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    At the same time, it gets ridiculously old sometimes, having to clean your rifle in excess everytime you shoot it, whether it be 1 or 1000 rds. Love shooting the ol' 74 but cleaning that sucker gets monotonous. Can't tell you how many windex bottles has been through that and my mosins.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Diversify your holdings! Cover all bases! This is why holding a domestic weapon with domestic calibers is vital. What if Johnny Beijing let loose? The guys with the AKs would dry up in 5 minutes... Better look into an AR or learn the controls on a QBZ-95.

I have both. A few ARs chambered in 5.56 and an AR in 5.45. I also bought a spare barrel for the 5.45 and plan on stocking enough surplus ammo to burn them both (about 30k rounds).

Spalding, you ever want to shoot my 5.45 AR, just send me a PM. I put a friend's suppressor on it the other day and it was a dream to shoot.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I have both. A few ARs chambered in 5.56 and an AR in 5.45. I also bought a spare barrel for the 5.45 and plan on stocking enough surplus ammo to burn them both (about 30k rounds).

Spalding, you ever want to shoot my 5.45 AR, just send me a PM. I put a friend's suppressor on it the other day and it was a dream to shoot.

I'll take you up on that offer wsenefeld. I know we've talked about the topic on a number of occasions. I have a buddy who just moved up to Lebanon, so when I go up to visit him, on a warm day, I'll hit you up!

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Just placed the order lol. This now makes 8 cans of 7n6. I somehow have to sneak this past my fiance. She is going to kill me hahaha.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Here it begins,
    DONT feed into this years ammo scare.
    IM not going to discuss why, who, what, and when.

Ride everything out, quit panic purchasing, and KEEP COOL.

Especially you new guys.

Some of here at INGO and a few other forums have been through countless times,
    The fuel for a potential fire like this is the HYPE and PAnIc to buy and TYPE quickly away on forums.

There are vendors, posing as anonymous members, that are on other larger forums feeding this new scare within 48 hrs, they have flooded other sites, Facebook with, "WHAT IF's" and "GET IT NOW's", or GET IT WHILE IT LAST's or I BOUGHT 3 MORE CANS TODAY!!!

Dont give in, get what you need and keep cool, nothing is going to dry up,
    besides .22, because the hoarders have won.

And guys with empty rifles dont run out and cry in a SHTF situation.
    When their ammo is gone,
    they take yours from your warm, dead, body.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom