• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    I posted this down in another flashlight thread, but then decided I didin't want to take away from the OP's purpose, so I have decided to create a new thread pertaining to flashlights. So here I go!

I've been looking at quite a few lights as my old 4 d-cell mag light is worthless compared to some of the new LED lights on the market but it seems like there's a literal billion of them to choose from. I am not looking for a pocket light, although I am not opposed to them, but I am looking for something that is super bright, has multiple modes (strobe, pressure on as well as click on, etc) and can illuminate not only what is right in front of me but allows me to see far into the direction I am wanting to point it (i.e. 100's of yards). This light will be used mostly around my property in brown county which means when it's dark, it's just that, dark.. You cannot see your hand in front of your face as there are no lights around and most flashlights simply cannot light up that kind of darkness. In addition, I hate buying batteries, it's just not something I like to spend money on, so I would prefer a rechargeable flashlight and one that recharges quickly.

through all of my research this one has bubbled to the top but I don't know anyone with experience with it.

policestuff_2081_29928107

It's the 5.11 tactical light for life LED flashlight. I like the fact that I would never need to purchase batteries for life and that it recharges in just 90 seconds. Here's the additional specifications:

5.11 Tactical has entered into a partnership with IVUS Energy Innovations, the makers of Flashpoint™ Power Technology, to bring you a flashlight that will revolutionize the portable lighting category and be true to our brand and our customers. The UC3.400 provides the longest uptime, the fastest recharge on the market,it is environmentally friendly, and you will never need to replace your flashlight.

In only 90 seconds, the UC3.400 Flashlight will go from dead flat to a full charge. That is 75 times faster than our nearest competitor. This quick recharge allows the light to always be ready. No need to carry multiple flashlights, purchase multiple chargers, or have to remember to charge your light after a long shift. In just 90 seconds, your Light for Life™ UC3.400 will be fully charged and ready to produce another 120 minutes of light. Whereas most flashlights begin to lose strength after you initially turn them on, the Light for Life last for 90 minutes at 90 lumens, cycling down to 25 lumens for 30 minutes and finally 15 lumens for 30 minutes. This keeps you safe in the toughest of conditions.

Unlike traditional rechargeable battery systems that develop memory or degrade (holding less and less charge after each use) and have a life expectancy of 500 – 1000 charge/discharge cycles, the Flashpoint™ Power Technology system is rated for 50,000 charge/discharge cycles with virtually no degradation. That’s a charge a day for more than 135 years! Through 50,000 cycles, our testing shows that the Flashpoint™ system will still retain 96% of its peak capacity. Powered by 3 LED’s rated for more than 50,000 hours (that's 40 hours a week, for more than 24 years) means that there is nothing to replace. The Light for Life™ can supply your lighting needs throughout your career, and still be handed down to your children and their children.

The 5.11 Light For Life™ comes with a limited lifetime warranty and its internal components are rated for a life of over 50,000 cycles. That adds up to more than 130 years if you use and recharge the light once a day! The flashlight’s body is made from a state-of-the-art polymer that is impact, abrasion and water resistant to stand up to the intense duty we know you’ll put it through.

Features
    LENGTH - 11.5 in, 29.2 cm
    BARREL DIAMETER - 1 3/4 in, 4.5 cm
    HEAD DIAMETER (AT WIDEST POINT) - 2.75 in, 7 cm
    WEIGHT - Approx. 16oz.
    Made of durable polymer.
    Impact, abrasion, and water resistant
    Recharges in 90 Seconds.
    Run time = 120 minutes
    Contains 3 LED’s rated for more than 50,000 hours.
    Box Dimensions will be 13” x 8” x 4”
    Comes with DC Charger, nylon belt ring, and a mounting bracket.

Two things that concern me. First is the price, at $160+ it's a bit of an investment over some of the felix models that are around 60.00-70.00 and second, is the cycle down illumination meaning that it has a total run time per charge of 150 minutes but cycles down as follows: 90 minutes at 90 lumens, cycling down to 25 lumens for 30 minutes and finally 15 lumens for 30 minutes.

Anyway, does anyone have this? What is your experience with it, or if you have opted not to purchase it, why?

Thanks!

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    If you can wait until January I will buy one and give ya a review. Heck as close as you are I could offer ya a test drive.

BTW as a side note that tree stand is awesome, thanks again.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've been very happy with my Fenix L2D

It may not fit all your requirements, but will do very well.

I do have one major point to make though.

About the batteries, you're really limiting yourself when you opt for a rechargeable light. Not only do you limit your selection, but you limit your "immediate" backup battery capability. If your rechargeable dies, you have to wait for it to recharge, if your light with batteries in it dies, you just replace the batteries. You are aware that they make rechargeable batteries aren't you?

If I were you I would seriously consider getting whatever light fits your needs, then get some Eneloop batteries. They're basically the best rechargeable batteries I've ever had. I've been running them in my light for a few years now and I rarely have to change them out.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I actually think that the light is a steal-of-a-deal at $160, especially when you consider the technology it packs, and the fact that you can spend twice that on just a handheld Surefire.

If I were a REALLY good friend, I'd buy this for my cop buddy, just to play around with it myself.

BTW, LAPG has a sale on this light right now-- it comes with a free bail-out bag.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If your rechargeable dies, you have to wait for it to recharge,

That's the beauty of this light, a FULL recharge only takes 90 seconds.

If I were you I would seriously consider getting whatever light fits your needs, then get some Eneloop batteries. They're basically the best rechargeable batteries I've ever had.

IIRC, this light runs on a "super capacitor" or something like that, so it doesn't take traditional batteries.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've been very happy with my Fenix L2D

It may not fit all your requirements, but will do very well.

I do have one major point to make though.

About the batteries, you're really limiting yourself when you opt for a rechargeable light. Not only do you limit your selection, but you limit your "immediate" backup battery capability. If your rechargeable dies, you have to wait for it to recharge, if your light with batteries in it dies, you just replace the batteries. You are aware that they make rechargeable batteries aren't you?

If I were you I would seriously consider getting whatever light fits your needs, then get some Eneloop batteries. They're basically the best rechargeable batteries I've ever had. I've been running them in my light for a few years now and I rarely have to change them out.

Ummm... Full Recharge in 90 Seconds.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    my:twocents: for that size it has max 90 lumens? thats pretty crappy even if with all the wonderful no battery stuff. for $10 less you could get a 700 lumen fenix that uses AA's. heck my little 4 inch light is 120 lumens on one cr123. yeah it's a neat little piece of technology but the biggest drawback is the output.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I carry a surefire E2D LED Defender. 200 Lumens and it lights up a dark night pretty well but isn't too bright to shine inside. No Strobe and uses batteries... but you can buy a couple of boxes of cr123's with the savings ($115 at several online stores).

I don't use mine a ton, but a few times every week at least. I'm surprised I haven't had to change batteries after about a year.

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Ummm... Full Recharge in 90 Seconds.

Assuming you're in your house when it needs recharging, and that the electricity is available (think: snowstorm, rainstorm, wind, etc), or will be within 2 hours. With any other flashlight, you can swap batteries when you need to, but with this one, apparently it's a doorstop until you can get to 120VAC.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Assuming you're in your house when it needs recharging, and that the electricity is available (think: snowstorm, rainstorm, wind, etc), or will be within 2 hours. With any other flashlight, you can swap batteries when you need to, but with this one, apparently it's a doorstop until you can get to 120VAC.

or 12VDC or solar... the technology it uses will eventually have the potential from being recharged from almost any source. Even those hand crank radios with the usb ports on them.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    By default it comes with a DC Charger the AC charger is extra, so as long as you can get to your car, get the car running and have 90 seconds, you have a full charge. This charger being DC should work off of a generator as well.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That's the beauty of this light, a FULL recharge only takes 90 seconds.

IIRC, this light runs on a "super capacitor" or something like that, so it doesn't take traditional batteries.
    Ah, I guess I didn't fully read that.

My only thought now is, capacitors leak down over time. So is this light going to be ready when you need it? Or do you have to put it on the charger every 12 hours to ensure it is charged up.

Also, IMHO, 2 hour life is great until that one time comes that you need it longer than that.

After reading into it more, this light would be a great house light, or duty light for police, where you would commonly use it briefly, then could return it to the charger, but not a good multipurpose light. I use my light for everything. It is my house light, my car light, my camping light etc. And I can't imagine having to check the charge all the time, or worry about its short battery life while camping.

But if you have $160 to spend and only want a house/duty light, the more power to you! It looks like a really cool light for those uses. 90 second recharge is pretty impressive. Super caps are really awesome.

To the OP, or anybody looking for light info, I would suggest candlepower forums. I would say that there is no other source that could surpass the collective flashlight/battery knowledge of cpf. BTW, cpf members get an 8% discount at fenix-store.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My only thought now is, capacitors leak down over time. So is this light going to be ready when you need it? Or do you have to put it on the charger every 12 hours to ensure it is charged up.

According the information in the above videos, a full charge will "leak" down to nothing after about 30 days.

Also, IMHO, 2 hour life is great until that one time comes that you need it longer than that.

But, that's where the 90-second recharge comes in handy. After you've used it up for 2 hours and it starts kicking the power down, simply pop it in the charger for a minute and a half and then go back to what you were doing. The weak link here would be if you were using the flashlight in such a place where you didn't have access to power (camping, SHTF, etc).

Top Bottom