• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Esrice has mentioned a couple of times that, since I own both types, I should 'do a review' of them both. Well, I've finally taken the time. Keep in mind, I am not a pro, nor have I attended class after class of carbine courses to see these optics break, fail, have major issues or have I been to battle with them where I had to beat someone with my rifle, thus experiencing 'the optic still works' thought.

This thread, post, is really just to be informative and a conversation starter; and, perhaps if it is observed to be useful enough, a sticky.

Let's not start a flame war, this or that war. Let's talk about these, their usefulness; and, if the poster has actually used the optic personally and owned one PERSONALLY, NOT HEARSAY, he/she can share experiences for or against.

I want this forum to be useful, to me and to others who are seeking unbiased information that is either hard to find, or scattered in bits and pieces across the web and in various instructors and class monger's heads.

Here goes. I like the Eotech better, it works with my eyes. I can find and hit faster and land more hits, on-target with it better than the Aimpoint. I like the field of view I have over the top of the rifle, more, with the Eotech.

It has it's cons that I have experienced. Shutting it off, is just completely annoying. Two hard pushed fingers on both buttons at the same time. The thing occasionally needs to be re-zeroed. (my Eotech is an old model, keep that in mind) Battery life, DON'T forget to shut if off. The new ones are boasting 600 hours on CR123 batteries now, though.

I have my Eotech, until I get a new model, on my Daniel Defense DDM4 rifle. (It's green b/c it used to be on the XCR :): I had it OD Duracoated then)
    I've taken a few pics of the Eo mounted on the rifle, and have a couple pics looking through the irons and without the rear flipped up.

I think the Eo works very well with a rifle that has a fixed front sight. (my experience and like)

Pros of Eotech: it will never fall off, solid mounting, more open view up and around its frame, mounts directly on rail, allows easier co-witnessing when the front sight is fixed, circle in dot just draws the eye in, easy battery access,

Cons of Eotech: battery life, too many buttons, fine adjustment is possible but requires some ‘guesswork’ due to MOA click differences from regular scopes, it does occasionally need to be re-tuned, really glares on high settings, both front and back lens need constant cleaning, expensive aftermarket mounts for QD, also I have occasionally have issues with the batteries losing contact. I've had to open the compartment, and close it again, doing this always seemed to 'make contact' for the batteries.

PICTURES ARE NOT THE BEST.

P1050868.jpg

P1050869.jpg

This first pic up close of the Eo on, and through the sight is about middle of the road as far as brightness.
    P1050873.jpg

This 2nd pic is looking through the rear (Matech BUIS) sight flipped up. I think, even with the rear sight up, there is plenty of viewing area above the co-witness scene; as well as, through the actual sight. (not a very good pic, sorry)
    P1050875.jpg

This last pic is of the actual fixed front sight/optic on view the user engages.
    P1050876.jpg

Panned back, you can see how much area around the sight is available. I think this is just 'more' for if, when, you may ever have to see a whole lot. For instance Close quarters like you own home. You can't make out the fixed front sight in either the above, or this pic; but, here it is...
    P1050877.jpg

I like the Aimpoint just as well, if I were in Afghanistan, kicking in doors, but also walking the mountain I would choose this optic. I would mount the x3 right behind it as, with the Aimpoint's fine dot, you can really 'pick n stick' the place where you want to put your round. Even on the brightest setting, it is still clear, fuzzy like most optics on the highest setting, but nice. I don't like the 'tube' feel of the Aimpoints though. I am extremely near-sighted, like walk into the wall, near sighted; so, the small dot is harder for me to pick up very very fast.

Pros for Aimpoint: dot is very fine, 2 MOA looks like the 1 MOA Eotech dot, needs fine work if removed in QD mount but not very much, battery life, solid steel tube, just one turning knob—simple operation and quick, could be used for longer ranges

Cons for Aimpoint: needs a mount separate from its housing, raises height of rifle, bulky—field of view is obscured more, caps are just annoying—but you need them as its a little hard to clean, feel like I am looking down a long pipe; longer to acquire dot, does not work well with a fixed front sight like Eotech does (field of view is worse)

I have the Aimpoint mounted on my XCR. I have it locked into a Larue (LT-152) mount. It is a lower mount, and is QD; so I could just remove it if ever the need arose and just flip up the BUIS. To me, with the narrow tube of the Aimpoint body, it is harder to pick up co-witness in lower third portion of the optic as is so popular to do. I just leave them down and remove when needed. I recommend Larue, the Quick Detach lever is easy to use and locks in place and the mount literally locks on so well that I don't ever re-zero but 'a blue moon'.

Aimpoint model ML3: 2 MOA
    P1050871.jpg

Here is the dot by itself.

P1050882.jpg

Here is the dot superimposed on the back of the BUIS. Due to the height of the mount, the dot is impeded by the sight when it (the sight) is raised up. The Aimpoint is a very clear picture, but just harder to view through.

P1050883.jpg

I hope you enjoy the pics, and the small write up. Perhaps it will be useful to most who are in the market for some similar items but don't know where, or who to ask.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Great review!

I think your observations were good, as well your ability to articulate why the EOTech works better for you and your application. The pictures are very helpful.

Perhaps one day you will 'upgrade' to a newer model EOTech with better batteries?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Good review. Both are great gear so it really is personal choice. I have an Eotech 512 and it runs great. Mine is on my patrol rifle so it could very well save my life. During in-services, I do not baby it at all...borderline abuse. IF it fails in practice it will fail in the field. I think your review is well done. I would like to add that the current line of Eotechs seemed to address those shortcomings. I have 2 AA batteries so they are cheap to replace and last a long time. I rarely clean my lenses, in downpour rain, dust, and once 2 feet of snow (10 degrees ouside). My POA has never moved. In fact, I found that my irons changed their POA but the Eotech was rock solid. I have since painted white witness marks on the irons to keep track of movement. I love my Eotech but I have nothing negative to say about the Aimpoint, I just prefer the Eotech. RRA makes a GREAT riser with the A2 rear sight built in, the Dominator 2.
    Bushmaster31.jpg

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Check out the Eotech XPS! Ive had one pre ordered for 4mts. Cant wait. 600hrs on CR123 battery. And its uber small for an eotech.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Check out the Eotech XPS! Ive had one pre ordered for 4mts. Cant wait. 600hrs on CR123 battery. And its uber small for an eotech.

What model do you have on order? I am looking at the 3-1 or 3-2.

Though the 3-2, with the 2 aiming dots looks appealing, I am not for sure if I would be at such distance that I would use it. Plus, I don't know that I have enough range to get the distance differences that the 2ns dot offers.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    mettle, thank you for taking the time to write this up. Your points are well though out and well presented, even if I don't agree with them. ;)

FTR, I own Aimpoints of several types/generations (ML, M2, C3), have shot the 511 and 512 model EOTechs on a number of occasions, and have taken several carbine courses in which significant numbers of both sights have been present. I like the Aimpoint better.

EOTech pros
    • 1MOA center dot allows precision work; I found my groups with the EO's to be tighter, and I could hit smaller objects at farther distances with the first shot.

EOTech cons
    • Reliability. EOTech models up through the 553 seem to have a lot of issues - the biggest of which is a flaw in the battery compartment design that allows the batteries to get knocked around under recoil. This causes the contacts to compress, and results in the reticle becoming intermittent or disappearing entirely. You then have to disassemble the sight, bend the contacts back into shape and hope for the best. The new XPS seems to have finally addressed this by orienting the battery box perpendicular to the direction of recoil.

Another issue I've seen on a couple of occasions (including with our very own bigcraig's EO) is wandering zero. I'm not talking about the mount coming loose (although I've seen that happen, too) or having to re-zero the sight periodically - I'm talking about the inability to hold a zero, period.

• Battery life. The N-cell EOs were notorious for burning through batteries. They have improved somewhat, and the AA and CR123 models are even better, but they're still only at ~1000 hours or so vs. the 50,000 or 80,000 hour life on the latest Aimpoints.

• Switchology. The EO's multi-button controls are just too friggin' complicated, slow and difficult to access (especially with gloves on). Their rear-mounted location may also conflict with some back-up irons, magnifiers and night vision devices (which is why the 557 features the controls on the side).

• Reticle. I have a mild astigmatism, so to me, the EO reticle appears very fuzzy or pixelated - I find this incredibly distracting. With traditional red dot sights, the dot appears slightly oblong but is still entirely usable.

Aimpoint Pros
    • Reliability. Aimpoints are pretty much bulletproof; I have seen them dropped, thrown, submerged and otherwise abused with no ill effects other than some cosmetic "battle scars". I have run mine - and seen others run - in numerous high round count classes without any loss of power or loss of zero.

• Battery life. M2/ML2 = 10,000 hours; M3/ML3/C3 = 50,000 hours; M4/M4S = 80,000 hours. I like being able to turn the sight on and forget about it until I'm done for the day. Some guys I know don't turn theirs off at all! Just change the batteries every X number of years whether they need it or not...

• Switchology. One big knob does on/off and brightness adjustment. Simple, quick and easy to use, even with gloves on.

• Reticle. The traditional dot works better with my eyes, and the 4MOA size allows fast acquisition at short to medium ranges which is where I do 99% of my shooting.

• Window shape. I feel the round shape of the Aimpoint window draws the eye to the center more naturally - especially when the dot goes out and you are using the window as an improvised ghost ring (whoever heard of a "ghost square"? :):)

Aimpoint cons
    • Reticle. 4MOA dot is faster, but less precise. I've made first-round hits on torso-sized targets out to 300 yards with my Aimpoints, but it took some work. Group sizes closer in are looser than with the EO, but still "combat accurate". Choosing an Aimpoint with a 2MOA dot may make this a non-issue for some folks.

• Switchology. While the big knob is faster and easier to use than the EO's button controls, there is also the possibility that it could inadvertently get bumped on or off during transport or movement.

Draws
    • Mounts. Yeah, the EO has an integral mount built in, but I don't like it. It's not QD, and it positions the sight for a lower-1/2 cowitness rather than the lower 1/3 I prefer. The Aimpoint doesn't include a mount that works for an AR (some come with a low 30mm ring), which forces you to buy one. BUT, many of the aftermarket mounts are very well built, allow QD, and put the sight right where you want it in relation to the irons.

• Lens caps. I like having them on my Aimpoint, but you have to 1) buy them, 2) remember to flip them up/down, and 3) replace them if/when they break. The EO can't accept them at all (with the exception of some mounts that have 'em built in), so you have to keep the lenses clean.

Last edited:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Nevermind...

I'd like to see how the new ones do.

Also, there are QD mounts for the Eotech.
    LaRue Tactical EOTech QD Mount LT-110

I hope to pick up one, and a magnifier real soon.

mettle, thank you for taking the time to write this up. Your points are well though out and well presented, even if I don't agree with them. ;)

FTR, I own Aimpoints of several types/generations (ML, M2, C3), have shot the 511 and 512 model EOTechs on a number of occasions, and have taken several carbine courses in which significant numbers of both sights have been present. I like the Aimpoint better.

EOTech pros
    • 1MOA center dot allows precision work; I found my groups with the EO's to be tighter, and I could hit smaller objects at farther distances with the first shot.

EOTech cons
    • Reliability. EOTech models up through the 553 seem to have a lot of issues - the biggest of which is a flaw in the battery compartment design that allows the batteries to get knocked around under recoil. This causes the contacts to compress, and results in the reticle becoming intermittent or disappearing entirely. You then have to disassemble the sight, bend the contacts back into shape and hope for the best. The new XPS seems to have finally addressed this by orienting the battery box perpendicular to the direction of recoil.

Another issue I've seen on a couple of occasions (including with our very own bigcraig's EO) is wandering zero. I'm not talking about the mount coming loose (although I've seen that happen, too) or having to re-zero the sight periodically - I'm talking about the inability to hold a zero, period.

• Battery life. The N-cell EOs were notorious for burning through batteries. They have improved somewhat, and the AA and CR123 models are even better, but they're still only at ~1000 hours or so vs. the 50,000 or 80,000 hour life on the latest Aimpoints.

• Switchology. The EO's multi-button controls are just too friggin' complicated, slow and difficult to access (especially with gloves on). Their rear-mounted location may also conflict with some back-up irons, magnifiers and night vision devices (which is why the 557 features the controls on the side).

• Reticle. I have a mild astigmatism, so to me, the EO reticle appears very fuzzy or pixelated - I find this incredibly distracting. With traditional red dot sights, the dot appears slightly oblong but is still entirely usable.

Aimpoint Pros
    • Reliability. Aimpoints are pretty much bulletproof; I have seen them dropped, thrown, submerged and otherwise abused with no ill effects other than some cosmetic "battle scars". I have run mine - and seen others run - in numerous high round count classes without any loss of power or loss of zero.

• Battery life. M2/ML2 = 10,000 hours; M3/ML3/C3 = 50,000 hours; M4/M4S = 80,000 hours. I like being able to turn the sight on and forget about it until I'm done for the day. Some guys I know don't turn theirs off at all! Just change the batteries every X number of years whether they need it or not...

• Switchology. One big knob does on/off and brightness adjustment. Simple, quick and easy to use, even with gloves on.

• Reticle. The traditional dot works better with my eyes, and the 4MOA size allows fast acquisition at short to medium ranges which is where I do 99% of my shooting.

• Window shape. I feel the round shape of the Aimpoint window draws the eye to the center more naturally - especially when the dot goes out and you are using the window as an improvised ghost ring (whoever heard of a "ghost square"? :):)

Aimpoint cons
    • Reticle. 4MOA dot is faster, but less precise. I've made first-round hits on torso-sized targets out to 300 yards with my Aimpoints, but it took some work. Group sizes closer in are looser than with the EO, but still "combat accurate". Choosing an Aimpoint with a 2MOA dot may make this a non-issue for some folks.

• Switchology. While the big knob is faster and easier to use than the EO's button controls, there is also the possibility that it could inadvertently get bumped on or off during transport or movement.

Draws
    • Mounts. Yeah, the EO has an integral mount built in, but I don't like it. It's not QD, and it positions the sight for a lower-1/2 cowitness rather than the lower 1/3 I prefer. The Aimpoint doesn't include a mount that works for an AR (some come with a low 30mm ring), which forces you to buy one. BUT, many of the aftermarket mounts are very well built, allow QD, and put the sight right where you want it in relation to the irons.

• Lens caps. I like having them on my Aimpoint, but you have to 1) buy them, 2) remember to flip them up/down, and 3) replace them if/when they break. The EO can't accept them at all (with the exception of some mounts that have 'em built in), so you have to keep the lenses clean.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    This is really useful to me, thanks guys!

The EOTech is really tempting for me as I can process the image more quickly than a simple dot. But, I am curious about battery life. Do I understand that the sight has an auto-off function?

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    :dunno:

We're here to have a discussion, yeah? So out with it... you're not gonna hurt my feelings or nothin'.

There is nothing to say. Do you have specific model numbers that were failing at those courses? What model did Mike have that would not hold zero? have yours failed?

Have you seen any Aimpoints fail?

I forgot to add, and will add now that I thought about it; but, on the ol' Eo I once-in-a-blue-moon have to open the battery compartment and just close it up as the batteries seem to lose connection or something.

My old thing occasionally has to be re zeroed, I posted that in the initial thread as well.

There are good and bad for both, where one fails or falls short the other can make up for.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    It looks like EOTech has tried to solve many of their past issues with these newer model sights. Better battery orientation, better battery seal, better battery life, better controls, better control locations, smaller size, etc. I'd like to see one of those.

Opticsplanet has them for 549 shipped. The X 3-1 model, which is what I want. If I can sell a few more items I am going to be 'having' one soon.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Do you have specific model numbers that were failing at those courses?

I didn't ask at the time and did not record it in my AAR notes, other than it was an EO. But in every carbine course I've taken with the exception of the Magpul carbine course back in May, there has been at least one. Sometimes multiples.

What model did Mike have that would not hold zero?

It was Craig (bigcraig), and you'd have to ask him.

have yours failed?

I don't own any EOs personally. None of the ones I have tried have failed in my presence except for Craig's.

Have you seen any Aimpoints fail?

No. None of mine, none of those belonging to friends, and none in carbine courses. I have heard of a few instances (like, count on one hand) in AARs from other folks.

Top Bottom