• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So what's the deal with these flat AR triggers? They appear to be something that originated with competitive shooting and have made their way over to the "tactical" scene.

What is the reported benefit? Speed? Feel?

As someone who's never tried one I think they look awkward. But I've heard good things from folks I trust.

School me please. :ingo:

p_100007543_1.jpg

CMC-AR15-Trigger-91507.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I run the CMMG flat 3.5lb in my rifle and love it. The flat surface allows you to pull straight back regardless of where your finger naturally falls onto the trigger. Different sized hands and different grips on the rifle can cause the finger to lay higher or lower on the trigger and the flat trigger helps to eliminate any tendency to pull up or down at an angle if the finger falls higher or lower than the center of the trigger. The face of the trigger is also the same distance from the web of the hand from top to bottom. Admittedly these are not a huge issues and I shot these rifles just fine for 20 years with curved triggers but I like the feel of the flat triggers.

The CMC also has the small ledge at the bottom which I use as a reference point to ensure I'm getting my finger in the same place every time. As I mentioned they don't offer a significant advantage that I can see but will fall more into the personal preference category.

IMG_1833.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The flat surface allows you to pull straight back regardless of where your finger naturally falls onto the trigger.

I assume the only difference between the flat trigger and a curved one is the shape of the actual trigger, right? So even the flat ones have an arc with a hinge at the top? Or does the entire thing move perpendicularly to the rear?

As I mentioned they don't offer a significant advantage that I can see but will fall more into the personal preference category.

Sounds like I need to try one, as a trigger upgrade is next on my list of SBR enhancements.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I love my flat triggers in my 1911, but I haven't tried them in a hinged design like an AR. It would have to have very short travel and reset really matter, otherwise, the conventional curved trigger seems to make more sense.

That said, all of my 1911s and my 2011 have flat triggers.

That includes the gun I carry on a daily basis.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I assume the only difference between the flat trigger and a curved one is the shape of the actual trigger, right? So even the flat ones have an arc with a hinge at the top? Or does the entire thing move perpendicularly to the rear?

I'm assuming it operates as others do but it's a sealed unit so I can't see inside it. I don't feel any upward movement when it breaks but it doesn't move much so it's possible that it does and isn't noticeable.

Sounds like I need to try one, as a trigger upgrade is next on my list of SBR enhancements.

You're more than welcome to try mine sometime.

I love my flat triggers in my 1911, but I haven't tried them in a hinged design like an AR. It would have to have very short travel and reset really matter, otherwise, the conventional curved trigger seems to make more sense.

Mine has a short travel and reset. Maybe not quite as short as a 1911 but not far off.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I run a Geissle 3 Gun in my Sig AR, and absolutely love. It paired with my Battlecomp, make it the flattest shooting AR I've ever ran. Your more than welcome to check it out sometime if your ever down this way.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    It may help too, because it would feel like a "lighter" trigger pull. When it's actually the same, it's just there's more distance traveled :)

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I have the CMC and really like it. I actually prefer the way it feels over the standard curved one. I plan to put one in my other AR as soon as I get the $$. Smooth, light and crisp as well. Very nice trigger and the price is decent too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I seen the flat ones when i ordered my Timney .... I thought they looked awkward but i havent heard a single bad thing about the flat trigger, after reading what people have to say i may have to look into one

Top Bottom