• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Those mentally ill folks who scream for
    tolerance are most often the least tolerant of all.
    I find they scream for more than tolerance and actually somehow equate tolerance to a bad thing and want to force up front in your face absolute acceptance and actually for everyone to proactively bow down.

I can tolerate alot and am good with what others do that doesn't infringe on me. It's the forced acceptance and thought/speech policing that pisses me off to no end.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I am a late seventies Eagle Scout.

By the time our son reached Cub scout age the organization had already changed substantially, about a 28-year gap. When we took him to an information night and I began flipping through the current Scout Manual and Cub Scout Manual I was shocked. It was not at all when I had, nor what I was expecting.

He went to one introduction event / meeting and had no interest. I loved my time in scouting from the beginning to the end, and I believe it had a significant positive effect on me to this day. I was not however going to force it on my son especially if it was not an equal or better organization than whenever I passed through its ranks.

I find the decline of scouting to be very sad. It is in concept an extremely worthwhile and needed organization and endeavor.
    My sons and myself are with your son, I grew up with an Uncle, Father and Older brother that all were/are Eagles that went to Philmore. I went to maybe two meeting as a young man and it did nothing for me. I wonder if it still is one of those good things to have on ones resume in todays world? My kids didnt even go to any meetings, now they did do some FFA and 4H and then JROTC in school.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Unpopular opinion here.
    I have both boys and girls. We raise them equally — our girls are total tomboys, climb trees, collect bugs, shoot, camp, but all in pink and with unicorns.
    We tried Girl Scouts for the girls — they hated it, no activities and a lot of bitchiness.
    When we put the boys in Boy Scouts, our girls tagged along to several meetings, and begged us to join the Boy Scouts. They whooped all the boys’ butts in activities, sports, etc. just because we raise them to be curious and self-sufficient.

At the Jamboree, girls sleep in a different camp, and the Dads are super vigilant. Razor wire was suggested not as a joke :)

We quit Scouting recently because the organization changed — there was no responsibility or camaraderie or structure from the top down, other kids were not working to earn badges and their parents bullying the Master into giving away trophies. It was all about Corporate earning $$$ and less about raising solid kids. Guess parents also changed from previous generation.
    I can see that. My mom was a Girl Scout Leader for a couple of years, probably hoping to change my tomboy-ish ways. We did some things that i liked, but i just wasn't into the sewing, baking, etc.. Boy stuff was a lot more fun. I did go to a girl scout camp where we did mostly fun stuff- hiking, horseback riding, swimming, canoeing, etc.. My camp nickname was Curiosity (i didn't chose it) because i always asked questions...lol.

Top Bottom