Property tax needs to be repealed / abolished NOW! (Morgan Co info here)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    first one assessed at $125k, selling for $187. I guarantee you that the house in 2020 was trashed.

Second one is assessed at 87k, selling at 189. You're literally making my point for me.

You find trashed homes that are worth pennies before people fix them and claim "look, see it didn't sell for assessed value!" It's like rolling your car and lighting it on fire and then complaining that you can't get KBB bluebook value when you sell it. That's not how it works. Assessed value is based off market price in the area, house size and lot size. Just because someone trashed it and refused to keep it up doesn't change the fact that in normal condition that house is worth more than assessed every day.
    Both those houses aren't in "normal" condition. They are virtually new with old bones. As in never lived in after complete gutting and remodel.

So property taxes should be based on potential value rather than actual value?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Both those houses aren't in "normal" condition. They are virtually new with old bones. As in never lived in after complete gutting and remodel.

actual value of that area. If you have 5 houses at $300k and one run down clapped out house that is worth $30k because a bunch of crack heads yanked all the copper, what should the value be? If it had been maintained, it would also be a $300k house. What does a house, of that size, on a lot of that size with the square footage bring in on average in the area its in. That's about as fair as you can get IMO. You keep wanting to compare apples to bolts but that's not how its done.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I wonder why so much butt hurt in this thread then? I've YET to have an assessment high enough to challenge...
    I almost filed this year when we saw the 13% jump. Then when I started getting comps I decided that I didn't want to submit it because it should go up more. We're at about 68% of actual saleable value.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    of everyone that I know that challenged an abnormally high assessment the .gov has not won a single time.
    Pretty much the same here. Problem is they usually require your home to be professionally appraised at your cost, then they just jack it back up the next year. And you get to do it all over again. After paying for appraisal you generally don't save much. At least when you factor in your time and aggravation. That's how it works around here anyway.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Pretty much the same here. Problem is they usually require your home to be professionally appraised at your cost, then they just jack it back up the next year. And you get to do it all over again. After paying for appraisal you generally don't save much. At least when you factor in your time and aggravation. That's how it works around here anyway.
    Sounds like you're dealing with a pretty corrupt local gov. If I couldn't elect better people, then I'd sell and move.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    actual value of that area. If you have 5 houses at $300k and one run down clapped out house that is worth $30k because a bunch of crack heads yanked all the copper, what should the value be? If it had been maintained, it would also be a $300k house. What does a house, of that size, on a lot of that size with the square footage bring in on average in the area its in. That's about as fair as you can get IMO. You keep wanting to compare apples to bolts but that's not how its done.
    Gotcha so you shouldn't be taxed on what the property is actually worth.

Sounds like you're dealing with a pretty corrupt local gov. If I couldn't elect better people, then I'd sell and move.
    Not really. They just go back to standard "actual value of that area" what could be more fair than that? Who knows you could have done a complete remodel.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Gotcha so you shouldn't be taxed on what the property is actually worth.

Not really. They just go back to standard "actual value of that area" what could be more fair than that? Who knows you could have done a complete remodel.
    So make up your mind. Either they're over assessing or they're assessing at actual values of the area. Which is it?

Look, you want change, work for the change. If you want to argue it's unconstitutional, you can but you're going to be wrong. But if you just want to whine and bitch and moan, please do that admit that's all you're doing. Complaining and offering a solution is helpful. Complaining to complain is not. You've been doing a **** ton of the latter and very little of the former.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That is the way it comes across but not the reality of it. Rather the tax assessment is based on the sale prices of homes with similar physical tangible attributes. The sale of super nice homes can drive the assessment above what the market will value a property that needs some work, conversely the sale of a couple of dogs can lower your assessment below what your property is worth.

Then there us the flip side, the sale of the dogs can lower your appraisal value if you are selling or getting a loan…

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    of everyone that I know that challenged an abnormally high assessment the .gov has not won a single time.
    I wonder why so much butt hurt in this thread then? I've YET to have an assessment high enough to challenge...
    I generally advise folks not to appeal unless the assessment is at least 15%-20% out of whack. Any less and the cost of an appraisal and time to appeal eats up the savings. Sometimes there are obvious errors, most likely arising from an input error. Remember assessments are derived by Mass Appraisal. The Assessor is not doing an individual valuation on each parcel. Multipliers and factors are calculated based on market data and these are applied to various property types and neighborhoods.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Didnt know you had that control?
    Well, let me be the first to welcome you to America. We have these things called elections where we elect representatives to do things for us. You can work to help get people you think would do better elected. Volunteering, door to door, spreading the word, etc or, and this may blow your mind since you're new here, but YOU can run for that office yourself. Pretty awesome.

Now, there are some places, like chicago-lite or north louisville where you are completely outnumbered by people of opposing views. In those cases, its often better to get out when you can and find someplace that is more in line with your political beliefs.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I mean, if we REALLY want to slow down housing prices (which are what drive assessments), we need to :
    1.) close the ******* border.
    2.) deport anyone here illegally.
    3.) build more housing to accommodate the growth of the population.
    4.) stop printing ******* money like there's no end.
    5.) get a handle on government expenditures.
    6.) slow down inflation.

That's how you fix the actual problem. Whining about your **** being worth more money and now you owe more on a gun forum isn't the solution. It's just whining.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So make up your mind. Either they're over assessing or they're assessing at actual values of the area. Which is it?

Look, you want change, work for the change. If you want to argue it's unconstitutional, you can but you're going to be wrong. But if you just want to whine and bitch and moan, please do that admit that's all you're doing. Complaining and offering a solution is helpful. Complaining to complain is not. You've been doing a **** ton of the latter and very little of the former.
    I was just using your words. In my neighborhood most houses are probably over assessed. My house is assessed most likely for a good bit over actual value. When I get the garage done how I want it might be near. Might. And that's going to be another 20k.

Top Bottom