• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Most don't, but it should be changed at least every 5 yrs. Brake fluid is hydroscopic so it readily absorbs moisture & humidity and in Indiana with it's high humidity summers, can be a lot. This will cause rust inside the system, caliper pistons/cylinders will bind, steel brake lines rust from inside out, etc.

I try to flush the system every 3-5 years.
    Good info and that explains it. It's been 20 years since I did a brake job and I can't recall the last time I put tires on a personal vehicle (company car gets them as needed - it's driven a lot more). Hell, my '20 with 182k miles still had the original brakes on it (I think 3 sets of tires though).

But, I can't think of a car I've had longer than three years... so I'm usually just oil and filter changes.

Kind of boring, as I used to enjoy wrenching...

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Good info and that explains it. It's been 20 years since I did a brake job and I can't recall the last time I put tires on a personal vehicle (company car gets them as needed - it's driven a lot more). Hell, my '20 with 182k miles still had the original brakes on it (I think 3 sets of tires though).

But, I can't think of a car I've had longer than three years... so I'm usually just oil and filter changes.

Kind of boring, as I used to enjoy wrenching...
    I've been doing the wrenching since I was 15. I still do it today on the new cars but I do tire of it sometimes.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Most don't, but it should be changed at least every 5 yrs. Brake fluid is hydroscopic so it readily absorbs moisture & humidity and in Indiana with it's high humidity summers, can be a lot. This will cause rust inside the system, caliper pistons/cylinders will bind, steel brake lines rust from inside out, etc.

I try to flush the system every 3-5 years.
    Dot 5 if it can be used on that motor vehicle, is silicone and is not hydroscopic.

Lpherr

Occupied
    True. However, as long as you don't allow the master cylinder to go dry and let air into the system you can usually leave the ABS unit alone as it only holds less than 5cc's of fluid that will eventually be exchanged with the new fluid in the system via caliper cycling.

You should only need the scan tool purge if replacing the ABS module with a new one that has never had fluid in it or the brake lines were disconnected from the valve body.
    Sadly, that hasn't been the case on any of the traction control systems I've had the pleasure of bleeding. Once the bleeder is opened, it allows air to be sucked into the system, because there are two seperate lines that feed the caliper. That's what controls wheel slip, as it allows fluid to one caliper to balance traction.

Maybe different makes are set up different? Hasn't been my experience so far.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I've been doing the wrenching since I was 15. I still do it today on the new cars but I do tire of it sometimes.
    My new cars haven't needed it, thankfully, and with the air suspension on the Ram it lifts itself up so I can easily slide under for oil changes.

Wait no, I did change out the front axle actuator for $100 vs the two hours round trip to the dealer...

Now back to the brake bleeder thread.

Good info in here!

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I also feel there is wear particles at the brake cylinder. I like to bleed them every so often to get fresh fluid in the cylinder. First pump of fluid out can be pretty dark at times.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I also feel there is wear particles at the brake cylinder. I like to bleed them every so often to get fresh fluid in the cylinder. First pump of fluid out can be pretty dark at times.
    The color change comes from heat. It's good practice to do a full brake service once a year under heavy use and every other year for moderate use.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    2-person bleed with no tools. Similar to gravity bleed, but much faster. One person sits in the car, and the other next to the brake caliper you want to bleed. (Usually I go passenger rear, drivers rear, passenger front, then drivers front.) Person 2 opens the bleed valve, person 1 presses the brake pedal, person 2 closes the valve, person 1 lets up on the pedal. Do it many times (usually 20+) from each position. And every 10 times or so, go refill the master cylinder. It's not as fast as with a brake bleeder tool, but it wastes less fluid and requires no tools other than a crescent wrench.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom