• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    For what it's worth - I've sent a number of unanswered PMs to the seller, so who knows.

I also appreciate all the PM's and phone texts about availability. I'd offer individual thanks but but I don't need to call all of you out. :-)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Originally, the fire at ADI in Australia cut the production of TB in @2018. IMR sold the licensing to Hodgdon in 2015-2016, but after the plant burnt, it's been off the market.

I'm not hopeful for the re-release.
    What happened to 800x was that made at the same plant? It's no longer being made. It was one of my favorite pistol powders. Especially for my 10mm loads.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    What happened to 800x was that made at the same plant? It's no longer being made. It was one of my favorite pistol powders. Especially for my 10mm loads.
    800x was meh for my 200gr hard cast. I couldn’t stuff enough into the case to get the velocities I wanted for my nuclear rounds. I started working up a blended powder I mixed (do NOT try this at home kids, I am a scientist and have access to lab equipment) that used HS-6 as a base. HS-6 and PowerPistol became my go-to 10mm loads because I could use it for pretty much everything so I bought stupid quantities of it before it all got crazy.

What a lot of people don’t realize is that even within the same brand and name of powder, there’s variation. The manufactures keep it within a tolerance, but each batch is unique. I’ve even found some variation within the same lot. This is fine for the average reloader who is going to stay well within the safety specs. But if you’re going to work at the margins, both high and low, you really need to have access to the kind of measuring equipment that isn’t generally available.

I have another blend that I use that works really well out of 16” carbine while keeping pressures within spec because it builds pressure slowly and keeps the peak longer.

Now that I’ve gotten into the suppressor game, I’m going to get more serious about building subsonic loads, it’s opened up a whole new area of reloading for me.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    800x was meh for my 200gr hard cast. I couldn’t stuff enough into the case to get the velocities I wanted for my nuclear rounds. I started working up a blended powder I mixed (do NOT try this at home kids, I am a scientist and have access to lab equipment) that used HS-6 as a base. HS-6 and PowerPistol became my go-to 10mm loads because I could use it for pretty much everything so I bought stupid quantities of it before it all got crazy.

What a lot of people don’t realize is that even within the same brand and name of powder, there’s variation. The manufactures keep it within a tolerance, but each batch is unique. I’ve even found some variation within the same lot. This is fine for the average reloader who is going to stay well within the safety specs. But if you’re going to work at the margins, both high and low, you really need to have access to the kind of measuring equipment that isn’t generally available.

I have another blend that I use that works really well out of 16” carbine while keeping pressures within spec because it builds pressure slowly and keeps the peak longer.

Now that I’ve gotten into the suppressor game, I’m going to get more serious about building subsonic loads, it’s opened up a whole new area of reloading for me.
    I had my 200gr WFNGC bullets avg 1254fps out of my Glock 20. That was with the oem barrel. I couldn't go higher with out Glock smiles destroying my brass.
    I now have a 1911 in 10mm bull barrel, supported chamber, and set up spring wise for those loads. However, no 800x. I ran out of it.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Russia has been importing over 3000 tons of Nitrocellulose a year since they started the war in Ukraine. I'd say that's part of the world shortage.

Over 6 million pounds of Nitrocellulose.
    They are firing something like 10,000 or 12,000 artillery shells per day. That's probably around 20# of powder per round. Somewhere around a million pounds of powder a week, just gone, in a single conflict. Not to mention the fact that there are a total of at least 110 armed conflicts in the world right now. WHY IS THERE A SHORTAGE?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When I started in the chemical business Dupont and Hercules dominated the nitrocellulose business. Today I don't think there is a nitration works in the US anywhere.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    When I started in the chemical business Dupont and Hercules dominated the nitrocellulose business. Today I don't think there is a nitration works in the US anywhere.
    Amazing from what we had at the end of WW2 and now.
    I thought Indian Head was still making Otto Torpedo Fuel? I used to know a few people at Indian Head, but all are retired or have moved on.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Amazing from what we had at the end of WW2 and now.
    I thought Indian Head was still making Otto Torpedo Fuel? I used to know a few people at Indian Head, but all are retired or have moved on.

*old man angry voice*
    That’s the problem with the kids today. No appreciation for Otto torpedo fuel.

Oh, I crack myself up.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    They are firing something like 10,000 or 12,000 artillery shells per day. That's probably around 20# of powder per round. Somewhere around a million pounds of powder a week, just gone, in a single conflict. Not to mention the fact that there are a total of at least 110 armed conflicts in the world right now. WHY IS THERE A SHORTAGE?
    I know your dad didn't write that post, he would have said, the Russian 122 MM uses 5.792 kilos of powder. And with them shooting 9,437 rounds a day they will use
    &[×.'ozf%[[ kilos of powder a day.

I need to get up soon and see him.

Top Bottom