• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Just wondered what peoples thoughts on this situation were?? I don't have ALL of the details, however, IF what is stated is true (that he called police and proceeded to follow martin after police told him stop) I feel that he was unjustified. Ready...Set....Go :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just wondered what peoples thoughts on this situation were?? I don't have ALL of the details, however, IF what is stated is true (that he called police and proceeded to follow martin after police told him stop) I feel that he was unjustified. Ready...Set....Go :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

This is being pounded on pretty heavily in another long ongoing thread right now. I am guessing near 5000 posts.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    This is being pounded on pretty heavily in another long ongoing thread right now. I am guessing near 5000 posts.

I don't read posts that long. :)

I've heard a lot of people saying the defense team is doing a good job (winning), but I think that is BS. So far Zimmerman's story is proving to be mostly the truth, and that's the real reason he is winning.

Uh oh, wait! Now they are saying Zimmerman's LAWYER is a racist. Well if you can't beat the defendant, beat his lawyer I guess.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

First, "we don't need you to do that" is not the same as "don't do that, stop".

Second, I understand how people would feel that way, but that's not the legal standard.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I think he is innocent. The only thing he did wrong is open his mouth. For those that think he put himself in a bad position, there is nothing wrong with trying to make your community a better place, one should not just stand by and let the bad guys have their pick.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    He won't be found "Not Guilty". If not convicted of 1st degree murder, he'll be convicted of 2nd degree or manslaughter.

The best he can hope for is a hung jury, and maybe they won't have a retrial.

Liberals are just too racial these days to see anything but what they already believe, and there's a few on that jury for sure.

:noway:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Well it sure is funny how when Zimmermas was thought to be on top this was "damning evidence". Now that the most credible witness practically in the history of witnesses says it was the other way around, suddenly "who was on top means nothing, they could've been rolling around".

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been follow it in the media. It is looking better for the defense then I thought it would. I really think the gal pal really hurt the prosecutions case. I have trying to keep an open mind and wait till the evidence comes out. I am leaning towards the defense at the moment. If the best witness they have is the girl they are screwed.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Does anyone else think Martin's friend (witness) was going to carbon freeze han solo at any moment?

I see what you did there..................:D

So do I so I repped him.

I am sure he was referring to this: ( Jaba Solo Wookie.......)

Collateral - Video Clips - South Park Studios

Also wondering why the young "lady" is getting a free pass on using the so called "R" word? Are the disability groups aware and why are they silent?
    I believe her quote was ( to the defense lawyer) " That's real retarded sir"

Classy.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    First, "we don't need you to do that" is not the same as "don't do that, stop".

Second, I understand how people would feel that way, but that's not the legal standard.

That's what gets me. From the very beginning, people have been saying that he was "ordered" to not follow Martin.
    It's fine to have your opinion, but I wish people would get their "facts" straight!

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    That's what gets me. From the very beginning, people have been saying that he was "ordered" to not follow Martin.
    It's fine to have your opinion, but I wish people would get their "facts" straight!

Again, I'm NO expert on this case at all, I try to get what I can but I'm not following 100% closely. I would like to know though if he was ORDERED to stop, or like another pointed out "we dont need...etc." My view on the issue is this:

I think he was 100% justified in be suspicious, carrying a gun, calling the police. I also think IF a situation arose where he felt his life was being threatened, be it by gun, knife, rock, pavement, bare hands etc. he was justified. BUT (and this is where it gets merky) IF he instigated the event, I'm very torn on the subject. If he could avoided the incident by calling police, staying put and waiting for them to arrive, then I would have to vote guilty (as mentioned by someone else I would vote 2nd degree manslaughter) Only because as a citizen, even though a part of a neighborhood watch, he has no legal authority to confront. The way I see it, everything was justified until he went cowboy and decided to take the situation into his own hands (IF that was the case)

Again: I am no expert, this is my opinion based on what I've heard. If my facts are wrong enlighten me :)

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    She didn't order him. She is an operator, not a cop, so even if she gave Zimmerman an order, he has no need to obey her. Zimmerman is as free to walk around in his own neighborhood as Trayvon was.

One thing seems certain at this point. And that is that this was a tragic misunderstanding that surely involved a communication breakdown. It never needed to happen if they would've talked instead of fought. Both sides were clearly suspicious of each other on a higher degree than normal. Zimmerman is justified due to previous break-ins, but Trayvon shouldn't have been so hostile because someone was following him I wouldn't think, unless perhaps he was up to no good.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    ... however, IF what is stated is true (that he called police and proceeded to follow martin after police told him stop) I feel that he was unjustified.

He was never told by the police to stop following Martin. He told a dispatcher he was following Martin and the dispatcher only said something to the extent of "We don't need you to do that."

He won't be found "Not Guilty". If not convicted of 1st degree murder, he'll be convicted of 2nd degree or manslaughter.

The best he can hope for is a hung jury, and maybe they won't have a retrial.

On another forum, a member from Florida said that once a charge is selected and the trial starts, that is the only charge a jury can rule on. According to this person, the prosecutor, nor judge, nor jury can discuss finding the person guilty of say a lower class crime. If that is true, then this is all or nothing for the prosecution.

Zimmerman is justified due to previous break-ins, but Trayvon shouldn't have been so hostile because someone was following him I wouldn't think, unless perhaps he was up to no good.

Zimmerman is justified, to me at least, because he has every right to be in a public area as anyone else. He wasn't technically stalking Martin because he actually had a lawful reason to follow him, which was calling him in as suspicious. On the other hand, Zimmerman's actions would clearly look like stalking to Martin. Does a person who believes they are being stalked, maybe with minimal escape routes, have a right to preemptively attack? This question is based upon Zimmerman's account of what happened. Did Martin have a right to stand his ground based on the totality of the circumstances? I think this depends on exactly what was happening in the second or two before they met. I've read that one claim Zimmerman has made was that he was walking back to his truck, and that Martin ambushed him when he had his back turned. If Martin was in fear of Zimmerman, I might be able to see a justification of a frontal preemptive strike (not only was Zimmerman following Martin in a vehicle, he then gets out and follows on foot. To the person being stalked, that would take the incident to another level in my opinion.). However, if Zimmerman was walking away, and Martin saw this, then the threat in Martins mind is no longer a threat, as the perceived threat is retreating.

After reading what has happened so far, I think there is just too much reasonable doubt, especially for a charge of murder. Some sort of criminal recklessness charge causing death might have been more appropriate.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    From what I have seen...... The prosecution is coming across poorly. Their star witness was unreal, in my opinion. Seriously?

I have no dog in this fight. Let the jury decide. I'm thinking the verdict will not go the way the prosecution hopes.

But, when it comes to high profile cases, ANYTHING can happen.

Most of us remember the Rodney King, OJ, Robert Blake, M. Jackson, etc. trials.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I've never understood why dispatchers always tell people to not follow someone. If you are reporting a suspicious person then wouldn't you want someone to keep a visual tab on them until the cops get there? If Zimmerman had made it back to his vehicle and drove off then Martin could have disappeared into the night and who knows what would have happened at that point. Cops aren't magicians, they can't just majically know who the suspect is. Wouldn't you be ticked off if you found out that some potential killer or rapist was on the prowl and someone had a visual on him, but the 911 operator told them to "go home"? I feel Zimmerman was justified in his actions and should be found not guilty.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Again, I'm NO expert on this case at all, I try to get what I can but I'm not following 100% closely. I would like to know though if he was ORDERED to stop, or like another pointed out "we dont need...etc." My view on the issue is this:

I think he was 100% justified in be suspicious, carrying a gun, calling the police. I also think IF a situation arose where he felt his life was being threatened, be it by gun, knife, rock, pavement, bare hands etc. he was justified. BUT (and this is where it gets merky) IF he instigated the event, I'm very torn on the subject. If he could avoided the incident by calling police, staying put and waiting for them to arrive, then I would have to vote guilty (as mentioned by someone else I would vote 2nd degree manslaughter) Only because as a citizen, even though a part of a neighborhood watch, he has no legal authority to confront. The way I see it, everything was justified until he went cowboy and decided to take the situation into his own hands (IF that was the case)

Again: I am no expert, this is my opinion based on what I've heard. If my facts are wrong enlighten me :)

Whoa.... Somebody who actually looks at the situation from both perspectives.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've never understood why dispatchers always tell people to not follow someone. If you are reporting a suspicious person then wouldn't you want someone to keep a visual tab on them until the cops get there? If Zimmerman had made it back to his vehicle and drove off then Martin could have disappeared into the night and who knows what would have happened at that point. Cops aren't magicians, they can't just majically know who the suspect is. Wouldn't you be ticked off if you found out that some potential killer or rapist was on the prowl and someone had a visual on him, but the 911 operator told them to "go home"? I feel Zimmerman was justified in his actions and should be found not guilty.

Hopefully the jury doesn't decide with their "feelings" but with evidence.

Top Bottom