• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Last month traded in a Toro 54" needing a left drive. 3.5 years old, original price of $4,000.00. With needed repairs, traded it in, got $2500.00 trade in and bought a 60" Toro Titan. Seat platform on both are on a suspension deal. Bought the Titan for $5,000.00 outright. The Toro 54" was good, but this Titan is a change from residential mower to bottom rung of commercial mower. Game changer, better cut, faster cut, really liking it. Heinhold Feller in Valpo. Top notch people.

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    I was thinking of trading in my Husqvarna, but figured they wouldn't give me anything for it. It runs great and I put an upgraded air filter on it and have 2 extra sets of Gator mulching blades for it.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    My folks have a 20 year old Hustler that's still going strong. And they bought it used from a commercial lawn care company.

And by going strong, I mean most of the running gear / deck is factory OEM and still VERY very competent.

May be on it's 3rd Kohler engine and at least 2nd hydraulic pump. Some of the ancillary hydraulic turning mechanisms have acted goofy, too.

Can blame the engines mostly on my mom who doesn't really like to check the oil on things... The hydraulics stuff? Dunno. My stepdad also isn't known to keep up on PM.

+1 for hustler. Didnt seem to fit ops needs though.

Ours has around 1k hours. Other than blades, oil, tires, and trans fluid, belts, shes a strong beast.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Last month traded in a Toro 54" needing a left drive. 3.5 years old, original price of $4,000.00. With needed repairs, traded it in, got $2500.00 trade in and bought a 60" Toro Titan. Seat platform on both are on a suspension deal. Bought the Titan for $5,000.00 outright. The Toro 54" was good, but this Titan is a change from residential mower to bottom rung of commercial mower. Game changer, better cut, faster cut, really liking it. Heinhold Feller in Valpo. Top notch people.
    Been going there for many years. Take our cars, bought my mower and snowblower there.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I'm not a zero-turn guy, but I am a Kawasaki small engine guy. Just traded in my 27 year old, 2,500 hour lawn tractor with a Kawasaki for a much newer lawn tractor with a Kawasaki.
    Different strokes for different folks. When I switched from mowing our gun club range with a tractor style mower to a ZTR, I cut my time by 40%. I can mow in reverse now, turn on a dime, turn 90 degree corners around buildings and doghouses. I will never go back to a tractor mower. I load it sideways on the trailer and still have room for a small 4x4 ATV.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Different strokes for different folks. When I switched from mowing our gun club range with a tractor style mower to a ZTR, I cut my time by 40%. I can mow in reverse now, turn on a dime, turn 90 degree corners around buildings and doghouses. I will never go back to a tractor mower. I load it sideways on the trailer and still have room for a small 4x4 ATV.
    How are ZTR's for towing and backing trailers? I use my JD lawn tractor for that a lot.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    How are ZTR's for towing and backing trailers? I use my JD lawn tractor for that a lot.
    They don't recommend it. I presume it's due to the independent hydraulic drive to each drive wheel. Mine doesn't have an option for a simple flat steel hitch with a hole for a pin (think grass/leaf sweeper). I once had a hitch made that fit over the engine protective frame for a grass sweeper but only used it once. For moving an empty trailer, I think maybe occasionally ok, but without a geared transmission (think 4 forward gears) I'm guessing it's a no-go.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They don't recommend it. I presume it's due to the independent hydraulic drive to each drive wheel. Mine doesn't have an option for a simple flat steel hitch with a hole for a pin (think grass/leaf sweeper).
    I'm thinking it would be a trip to try and do it (backing the trailer)! Having to look back over your shoulder and work the controls of the ZTR would be pretty confusing. I learned that you move the bottom of a steering wheel in the direction that you want a trailer to go. I would have to think too hard to figure out how that would translate to a ZTR. :):

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    When I switched from my case with a 60 inch belly mower to 54 inch Hustler, the time to mow my 1.8 acres went from 2 1/2 hours to 45 minutes.

I have a small cub cadet trailer that I tow around with the hustler. It takes a little practice to back up with it, but it works fine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I switched from my case with a 60 inch belly mower to 54 inch Hustler, the time to mow my 1.8 acres went from 2 1/2 hours to 45 minutes.

I have a small cub cadet trailer that I tow around with the hustler. It takes a little practice to back up with it, but it works fine.
    I sometimes tow a 5'x8' utility trailer loaded with at least a 1/2 yard of mulch.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I sometimes tow a 5'x8' utility trailer loaded with at least a 1/2 yard of mulch.
    I have the bigger of the yard rollers filled with pea gravel. Couldn’t tell you how much it weighs, but I can hardly budge it. I tow it with my Ztr. Never had a problem with any hydraulics which I am surprised. Also tow a 30 gal sprayer around and have it rigged up on a toggle switch.
    2005 bobcat with about 700 hrs. Oil and belts have been the only maintenance done to it except new plugs and fuel filter this year.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have the bigger of the yard rollers filled with pea gravel. Couldn’t tell you how much it weighs, but I can hardly budge it. I tow it with my Ztr. Never had a problem with any hydraulics which I am surprised. Also tow a 30 gal sprayer around and have it rigged up on a toggle switch.
    2005 bobcat with about 700 hrs. Oil and belts have been the only maintenance done to it except new plugs and fuel filter this year.
    I guess I'm more concerned with the maneuverability (backing) than the towing capacity.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Did this with the hustler we have.
    But we never loaded it anywhere near heavy.

But I took care of that hustler. Probably better than my old M5.

Full disclosure, it resides with my birthing person and I am unaware how or of it takes care of it.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    They are to articulate, and the front wheels have to turn 180 degrees (swivel) to go reverse. You don’t know which way they will turn, clockwise or counterclockwise. Don’t know about towing.

But of course that only my thoughts on it.

For hauling my garden trailer with the wife’s Cub Cadet, I extended the hitch rail off the trailer 3 ft. Makes backing up much easier with the extra length.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bikemannc
    Top Bottom