• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    I have come to the conclusion that my current mower (Husqvarna Z254F) is not enough for what I am mowing. I have cleared some areas and I'm now around 2 acres and I'm wanting to maintain a path around another field that I won't attempt with the one I have. It worked and still does work good, but I'm needing something a little more commercial/"prosumer".

My local dealer has Kubota and Dixie Chopper. Specifically the Kubota z422 vs the Dixie Chopper Blackhawk HP for what I would like in a 60" deck.

I like that Dixie is made very locally to me for part availability and their deck is 7ga steel.

The Kubota has a nice wide stance, but the deck is 9ga steel.

Both have the Kawasaki engine, but the Dixie seems to have a better transmission geared towards commercial. Both are around the same price.

Thoughts or experiences with either?

I would really like one of those 2 brands because thats what my local dealer carries.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I like the Dixie's but I think they are expensive for what they are. A friend of mine had a mowing business for a few years and he had some local IN company's equipment. They were well built machines, but when problems did occur he had much trouble finding parts/service for them outside of the mfgr. and would sometimes need to wait weeks for them to supply oem parts & service.

I'm not familiar with the Husq, I just know to look for fabricated decks vs stamped and the taller mulching decks are more durable and forgiving of harsh treatment and gives a better cut without clumping/clogging.

IMO I would stick with the larger mfgrs as parts are mass produced and more readily available. I have a Hustler 54" for my 1.8 acres and can mow it in ~45 minutes but I am only mowing lawn grass. If you are mowing fields with thick tall grass or sprouting trees you will want something more durable.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I've got a Gravely zxt52(?) and have it for 6 years. We mow approximately 3 acres and have never had any issues with it. I went with Gravely because the drives were the best then. I also opted for the Kohler motor because at the time the Kawasaki motors were having problems with the crank bolt breaking on the main pulley. We have 2 Gravely dealers within ½ hour of our place.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    We had a Bad Boy. Was built like a tank. Only used it a season and went back to a subcompact tractor. Too many trees and hills and the need for a front end loader.
    Edit; Mow around 2 acres and have an additional 5.5 acres of woods.

Last edited:

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    Just to throw something out there, what about a subcompact tractor?
    I had thought about that when I first bought my property, but I have around 4 tillable acres. I would need atleast a compact like a Kubota B2601 and that may be pushing that machine. That's over $25k at that point. A subcompact just wouldn't get it done for me and I couldn't spend north of $10k knowing it would be a sub par lawnmower to boot. I have used my ATV and some pull behind equipment to plant a small food plot. Not ideal, but no monthly payments either.

Reactions: wcd

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    Scag Turf Tigers here. A 52" and 61". The 61" gets all the use now that my sons are gone. Its over 20 years old and keeps on ticking. Had to replace the deck clutch once. Usual service w/ belts, blades and oil changes. Dual taper roller bearings on the deck spindles and the deck being 100% welded was important. YMMV.

:ingo:

Top Bottom