• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I have a 54" Huasqvarna rider….slow. Would like to trade in on a zero turn…..have a local Toro dealer….I've seen Toro 50" with great reviews for around 3499.00 MSRP…..have about 1.5 acres to mow. Any suggestions on zero turn sales or good brand…..don't need the best most expensive but a good one. Any tips or suggestions for buying new or used one appreciated.

I'm still confused, mow faster? That's less drinking time.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Another vote for hustler. I run a 60" fastrack on our 5 acres of grass and put about 100 hrs a year on it. 3rd season and I am more than happy with it.
    Likely overkill on your smaller area, but they have less expensive mowers for that size yard.

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Iam on my 2nd Country Clipper. It is a well built, quality mower. The joystick option is great.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I just bought a used Exmark from my brother; at over 10 years old but only 600 hrs, it still has LOTS of life left in it for under $4k.

66" deck & 27 hp Kohler engine; my yard is too bumpy to take advantage of the full-speed but I mowed an acre in 15 minutes. So far I like it but I really need to address the bumpy yard thing (it's been neglected by previous owners for far too long).

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    How smooth is your yard? Mine is bumpy as hell. I tested various zero turns and they nearly beat me to death. I considered Ferris because of the suspension, but didn't end up testing because the price was just too high. Ended up with a JD 445 tractor. Slower, but easier on my middle aged dad bod. Plus, as was said above, more drinking time.:yesway:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've got mole-prone areas in my yard and riding my Scag across those spots at full speed is like watching the guys driving the lunar rover across the moon. I mow several acres every week and come July and August, I don't need more beer drinking time--I need less deer fly biting time. :D

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    My Exmark has 1100 hours on it and all I've done is change the oil and keep the blades sharp, I think I replaced the spark plugs once. No repairs at all.

We live on a farm and mow some pretty rough ground and the machine is as tight as the day we bought it.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Ok, kinda off topic -- what happened to Dixie Chopper?
    We have used Dixie Choppers for the past 12 or so years. The quality of their mowers dropped considerably when the company was bought by a large corp. Their Magnum and Classic series mowers are their top of the line mowers and still high quality. We had an older Classic that we sold with our Indiana property and bought a Silver Eagle in N.C. Would really like to have the classic back. In eight years having the Classic, no repairs and just routine maintenance. I used it to mow 15 acres with really rough pastures and never a problem with it. The jury is still out on the Silver Eagle, even after 2 years mowing 12 acres in N.C. sandy soil.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I have a 54" Huasqvarna rider….slow. Would like to trade in on a zero turn…..have a local Toro dealer….I've seen Toro 50" with great reviews for around 3499.00 MSRP…..have about 1.5 acres to mow. Any suggestions on zero turn sales or good brand…..don't need the best most expensive but a good one. Any tips or suggestions for buying new or used one appreciated.

Been thinking about this post for far too long. You say your mower is slow but you've got a sizeable deck. To upgrade means money. Your mowing businesses pay for speed. Speed will come mostly from a higher HP engine. So a guy in your position will look for a good "deal" on a higher HP engine but usually fail to recognize a stamped steel deck or low output hydrostatic drives. There's a sacrifice to be made here, for sure. For a decent set of hydrostatic drives and a gas engine in a grasshopper, each of those items costs about $1500. Doing simple math means you can sorta figure where your sacrifice will come from. You get a stamped steel deck and you'll fight with it after your second year. But, if you bought wisely you can upgrade that. A grasshopper is sold in two parts: machine and deck separately. Replacing a decent deck will cost you around $2500. Knowing these numbers for legit parts that have a sound warranty, go to Lowe's and compare those prices. I absolutely recommend you treat drive mowers at the dealer. They should have grass for you to mow AND/OR a demo unit to take home. Go to the maintenance department and look around. Is this a place you want your mower worked on? Even if you say you'll do all your own maintenance...warranty work? Will the mower fit on your trailer or in your garage? Your local dealers will be having spring sales and demos anytime, now. Pay attention to ads or call. There's not a lot of haggle room on mowers, your deal comes thru accessories.

I do NOT recommend buying from a box store for ANYONE. It is a losing situation for a buyer. Awful warranty coverage is just the start.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Been thinking about this post for far too long. You say your mower is slow but you've got a sizeable deck. To upgrade means money. Your mowing businesses pay for speed. Speed will come mostly from a higher HP engine. So a guy in your position will look for a good "deal" on a higher HP engine but usually fail to recognize a stamped steel deck or low output hydrostatic drives. There's a sacrifice to be made here, for sure. For a decent set of hydrostatic drives and a gas engine in a grasshopper, each of those items costs about $1500. Doing simple math means you can sorta figure where your sacrifice will come from. You get a stamped steel deck and you'll fight with it after your second year. But, if you bought wisely you can upgrade that. A grasshopper is sold in two parts: machine and deck separately. Replacing a decent deck will cost you around $2500. Knowing these numbers for legit parts that have a sound warranty, go to Lowe's and compare those prices. I absolutely recommend you treat drive mowers at the dealer. They should have grass for you to mow AND/OR a demo unit to take home. Go to the maintenance department and look around. Is this a place you want your mower worked on? Even if you say you'll do all your own maintenance...warranty work? Will the mower fit on your trailer or in your garage? Your local dealers will be having spring sales and demos anytime, now. Pay attention to ads or call. There's not a lot of haggle room on mowers, your deal comes thru accessories.

I do NOT recommend buying from a box store for ANYONE. It is a losing situation for a buyer. Awful warranty coverage is just the start.

I'm looking at Toros for around 3K…..some have a Kawasaki motor I hear are super good, the Huasqarvarna zero turn in 50" has it also for same price…..My current mower I believe is 26 HP and should do 5 mph…? I had a mouse come out in front of me and run through the grass and it took me over 20 yards to catch him on the mower…my craftsman 42" mows like a dang banshee next to it. I was thinking maybe a little taller tires in the back would help increase speed……I have no $ invested in it, if I got a a grand out of it for a zero turn 50" it would be good……seen lots of good reviews on box? companys….are these the ones you buy for no tax and about 400.00 cheaper than local dealer……? I'm headed for the Toro dealer and see what he has and what we can do. Got lots of garage, trailer…warranty work…i'm 55 and to date have never used a warranty on anything….LOL….whats a warranty, never buy them. Thanks for the tips, I see if they got some demos for testing….sick of taking 2 hours to mow and the neighbor zipping 55 mph on her zero turn and getting done in 5 minutes…..LOL.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ferris as second tier? Really?

Just wish I could afford one.

Toro second tier? One one of, if not, the biggest turf company in the world..... so yea. All john deere zeros are good for is displaying their logo since they changed from the 757, 777, and 797

On the flip side, I got another machine to play with for the year, ferris IS3200 37hp vanguard efi 61", color me impressed.

Op, 3k go with a toro and dont look back, or a Bad Boy for sheer durability. Buy from a dealer that will take care of you if something does happen yo go wrong.

https://www.badboymowers.com/bad-boy-shop/zero-turn-mowers/mz-magnum-lawn-mower

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom